• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Radio or Waiver, pros and cons?

CooL_SpoT

Feb 19, 2010
Okay, so now that we can root our Magics again, what's our best option once we've gone down that road? I rooted my phone a couple days ago, and noticed about half an hour ago that my data got cut off (I'm not surprised, mind you), so now I'm mulling over whether I sign Rogers' online waiver or simply flash the new radio version.

If I sign the waiver, Rogers can pretty much assume that my phone is rooted... now I know that's not illegal, but might that come back to haunt me at some point? And am I going to have to sign the waiver again if I flash from one ROM to the next (I wouldn't expect so, since the waiver is based on the IMEI)?

If I flash the radio, then I'm limiting myself in terms of potential ROMs that I can use (which probably won't be a big problem, but still). Also, I'm going to have to go through that extra step each time I want to try out a different ROM (also not a big deal, but somthing to consider).

... Or am I mistaken in some basic assumptions here? I'm new to rooting, so that's entirely possible! :)

Thoughts?

I have some of the same questions so I'll toss what I see into the mix. First off, did you flash with the latest euro rom method? That leaves you with a new radio version that isn't exactly the same as rogers and you will indeed get cut off. However you can then flash the radio again as per cursordroid's instructions and that should keep it alive (same version as rogers). So far mine is ok after initially getting cut off. I was ok for last few months with this radio version and several different roms from 1.5 - 2.1.

I have a real problem with signing the waiver. Being that I signed to get online in the first place I'm a little disturbed that the contract is amended midstream. Will a future update be mandatory thus canceling the waiver and we start the game all over again? Bottom line I can't trust contracts, they will be nulled whenever it suits them. But I can ignore the legal nonsense and go with the technical side which as I see it means that by giving them an IMEI I won't get cut off as long as I use that single IMEI. And if I try a different phone what happens? Can I just give them the IMEI of the contract phone they already know about and be done with the problem no matter which phone I use? As it is I gave my contract phone to my daughter and I use a variety of unlocked non contract Magics. I can't develop anything if I'm stuck with a single device or get cut off when I use my devel phone.

I'm trying to stay with the new radio partly to avoid the waiver and partly because I'm sure that the official 2.1 from HTC will be for the new radio. I'd love to try the new cyanogenmod but would have to go back to the old radio and I'm afraid that the waiver won't do me any good. I have a daily driver running the perfectly stable cursordroid and a spare that runs several roms depending on what I'm testing. I can't play patty cake with my provider while paying them an arm and leg for the agony of this. My other Magics do not belong to Rogers, they run a better ROM than theirs, and I do not want to tie my non contract phones to any waiver.

I might ding rogersmary and try to get this resolved but I'd rather just go about my business that I pay so dearly for. rogers, you have a decent data network compared to at&t but considering that we pay more than nearly any country on Earth I think it is time to put away the 911 fiasco and move on (irony is that I was 911 safe long before the infamous update). Why ask me if I've updated my phone if you'll cut me off again next week? I've updated, now let me use what I pay too much for, please.

Upvote 0
I've got some questions about the Waiver,
Is it tied to one phone and number?
I'm asking this because I want to give my Magic to a friend of mine, and he uses Rogers as well, and I don't want him to have a rough time while expirementing with other roms (especially CM5 on the old radio)
I had previously updated, but now got root and S-Off, and I want to sign the waiver but its not accepting my IMEI. I just contacted Mary for help.

Upvote 0
I still think that the waiver is pointless. Do you plan on ever changing your phone? I'll bet that the waiver won't auto follow and you'll be fighting with them all over again. Personally I go with putting the "blessed" radio version on my phone(s).

I had Cyanogenmod 0.5.7 with the old radio installed and sure enough my data was cut. I have now installed the stock (but rooted) rogers 3.05 ROM but data hasn't been restored. I called Rogers Tech Support and they said it can take up to 24 hours for the data to be restored (annoying!). Ideally, I'd like to try another ROM without sense UI, such as SuperEclair. Since it runs on the 6.35 radio, I assume I could flash it and then I'd still get my data back in 24 hours. Is this true, or should I stick with the stock (rooted) ROM until my data is restored and then flash SuperEclair?

Upvote 0
I think that if you have the exact version of radio (I guess you have it now) you shouldn't have a problem.
You might call them again and you might get a different person. Tell them that you updated but lost data anyway and you simply need a network refresh. Tell them you'll pull the battery and wait a few minutes while they do it.
That has always got my data back in about 5 minutes.

edit-> I think the version that is good is 6.35.10.18

Upvote 0
I think that if you have the exact version of radio (I guess you have it now) you shouldn't have a problem.
You might call them again and you might get a different person. Tell them that you updated but lost data anyway and you simply need a network refresh. Tell them you'll pull the battery and wait a few minutes while they do it.
That has always got my data back in about 5 minutes.

edit-> I think the version that is good is 6.35.10.18

Hmm, I will try this. The problem I think is that I told them I just did the update. If I tell them I just randomly lost data, they might ask me to confirm my build number etc and restore it.

Upvote 0
Please do let us know after 48 hours of old radio. Can I assume that the IMEI is the contract phone already known on the account? This is one thing that complicates it for me. My daily driver is an unlocked non contract device and the original phone is used by a daughter and kept more stock. Also have a devel phone that is unlocked and not contract so I want to SIM any device at any time. It is fine that they do subsidized phones but I prefer to unbundle.

I'm still trying to get clarification but the waiver isn't looking like a good option for me. It really needs to go away or cover the account and not the device.

Upvote 0
Please do let us know after 48 hours of old radio. Can I assume that the IMEI is the contract phone already known on the account?

Unfortunately, it seems that way. My original contract phone was the Dream, but I had issues with it constantly re-booting so they replaced it with the Magic. When I called Rogers about the waiver not working they told me that the Magic never got updated on my account... mind you, this was at the same time that everybody else was having problems with the waiver too, so it might be completely un-related, now that I think of it.

It might be worth a call to see if you can input more than just the contract IMEI.

Upvote 0
It might be worth a call to see if you can input more than just the contract IMEI.

I'm still waiting on a new reply from them but I'll say this, at least I didn't get a clueless rehash of the party line. Basically told me what I already knew but she asked the right questions and I told her what I need and why.

Instead of multiple IMEIs I asked that the waiver cover the account and not the phone. As it is the waiver is going to be a bigger problem down the road and is only useful for contract phones and future purchases done through the usual upgrade channels. I'm sure they want me to buy phones that way but I have the choice to buy my own except that they make it impossible to use the service or do development. That is just evil and boneheaded. They can protect their legal status with a more reasonable method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones