1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Radio & Podcast apps for the Droid

1. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Hi - I'm looking for a radio app for the Droid, which will allow me to play FM radio station internet streams. Not looking for a music-focused app like Pandora, I'm an NPR junkie and want to be able to pick up my local NPR as well as stations from other cities.

Also want a podcast player.

Any have any suggestions of ones they've used and like?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I haven't used one myself, but how about DroidLive?
  3. mattparmely

mattparmely Well-Known Member

I would like this too! I always wished my ipod had an AM/FM app on it so I could listen to espn at the gym..

Even if it does have one available I still would like one on my droid!
  4. Redflea

Droid live looks good, particularly it's ability to browse shoutcast. Thanks!
  5. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I heard Google Listen is a good podcast app. As for radio I am not sure. It would be sweet if Pandora was in the market place.
  6. mattparmely

mattparmely Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive it is, & if it isn't.. it soon will be.
  7. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I believe Pandora and Last.FM is already in the market place.

I so want Hulu...
  8. dbarrett480

dbarrett480 Well-Known Member

Yes pandora, slacker and last.fm are all there. (I have pandora and slacker installed on my mytouch)
  9. JRSly

JRSly Well-Known Member

He said specifically NOT Pandora. He'd like to listen to actual station's internet streams, not just streaming music.
  10. dbarrett480

For podcasts, I like beyond pod because you can set it to automatically download podcasts in the background at a pre-determined time. For example, I have one that I listen to every day at work and I have it download everynight at 3:00 a.m. and then it is ready for my drive to work. I have it set to only keep the 10 most recent podcasts on my card so it doesn't fill it up.
  11. dbarrett480

I realize that, but someone mentioned that they weren't sure if pandora was actually in the market place, so I was just reiterating the point that it is in fact there.
  12. Redflea

Cool - Google Listen is out:

Listen Home

Also, as noted, BeyondPod:

http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/

Thanks.

Edit - fixed Beyondpod link to Android version.
  13. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

You can get NPR podcasts if that floats your boat.

Not sure why anyone would listen to the radio anymore these days... they just play the same 5 songs over and over again, and it's rare they'll play anything good. Not to mention the battery of ads you're subjected to.

I'd much rather play the exact music I want to listen to (Zune, iPod, etc) or stream mixed content from Pandora (one short ad over long intervals instead of a battery of ads every other song) if I'm in the mood to listen to something outside of my collection.

Now, AM radio would be nice. I'd be able to listen to Laker games until the NBA gets their **** together and releases NBA League Pass for the Droid.
  14. Fibonaccisequins

Fibonaccisequins New Member

To a fellow NPR junkie: I found this forum searching for the exact same thing! I've had luck with " A Online Radio." You can go to a station's site and stream from their live mp3 or shoutcast broadcast.
    jerry42570 likes this.
  15. mark harden

mark harden New Member

The radio app you're looking for is "radio time"
  16. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

There are npr and radio apps
    NPR is really good. Flycast and others can play local stations, but not to my liking. Just search radio on the market.
  17. coleoptera1

coleoptera1 Member

For those of you looking for a good NPR App, I think Public Radio Live Stream is the BEST. I even went for the paid App since it's so great I wanted to support it (I guess that's a typical NPR listener for you). You can stream your local station or listen to hundreds from across the nation and similar type stations across the globe. It's live, not podcast.

If you want the NPR podcast just get the App from NPR.com. :)
  18. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

doubletwist for podcasts
  19. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member

The radio show that I listen to on a weekly basis is now using Stitcher as their mobile app.
  20. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

+1 on Public Radio Live Stream and I use Doggcatcher for my podcasts. DC is kind of a pain to get up and runnning but once you have your podcasts set it runs great.
  21. Samuraipanda

Samuraipanda Member

I use the TuneIn Radio app and it works great with all the local stations and other cities as well.
    I mostly use it for sportstalk since the stations I like are on AM and sound lousy on the regular radio. they are crystal clear on TuneIn.
  22. ericks17

ericks17 Well-Known Member

+1 on this app! Love the UI especially. I like this app much more than "droid live". This is a great app for local stations and other stations that stream online as well.
    Samuraipanda likes this.
  23. LuckyCedarlane

LuckyCedarlane New Member

I Like FlyCast you can look up radio by city, I love it
  24. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Tunedin
  25. droidplugin

droidplugin New Member

YouBoom offers you what your looking for plus allows you to create your own radio from home and share with your friends anywhere thru the app