• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Radios, Recoveries and HBOOT **UPDATED 4-18-12**

It seems like someone dont like us bolt owners. I have seen more useless crap in other sections become stickies. This is important info for rooters. Not like we have a lot of people posting in this section. To the powers that be let us have our stickies for files that we need. So we dont have to search for them.

Upvote 0
Most root sections have a generic sticky with most important threads linked in it now. If the community want's one done for the TB that will have every important thread linked it can be done.

i wouldnt be opposed to using scarys generic roor guide,and filling it in with our stuff. we wouldnt have to follow it exactly,but could use the basic idea.

heres what it looks like in other forums: http://androidforums.com/merge-all-things-root/446697-merge-all-things-root-guide.html

what does anyone think?

edit: just noticed yeahhas new avitar. it gives me warm,fuzzy,happy thots of childhood :p

Upvote 0
Hello Android Forums,

I am attempting to reflash a recovery and then to reflash superuser, since my phone was wiped a while ago, but my wifi tether (and superuser) was still working. Later, it stopped working, saying that the phone was not rooted, but superuser was still in the applications. I am not sure which recovery (or recoveries) to flash, since there is quite an extensive list. Which ones do I reflash and how?

Also, if it helps, I used revolutionary to root my HTC Thunderbolt

Upvote 0
When you say your phone was wiped what do you mean? Is your hboot still s-off? Are you on the stock recovery?

If you are on the stock recovery I would suggest flashing the newest CWM as that is what most people use. You would download it and flash it in hboot.

Thank you for the response

Its memory was completely erased when the OTA update was applied last month, but my phone is still s-off. I am not sure what recovery I am using, is there a way to check?

Upvote 0
you can boot to recovery via power/vol down(from powered off state) then select "recovery" with the volume rocker after hboot checks for files(green writing flashed)

if it takes you to a recovery,it should say what it is at the top of the menu. if it doesnt,pay attention to the color,that may help ;)

if it takes you to a triangle with an ! that is the stock recovery. as yeaha suggested the newest clockwork is prolly an acceptable choice. if want to try a different one,just pick the newest version of which ever you want to use. i personally use twrp or amon_ra.

edit:
while your in hboot,tell us if you are revolutionary s-off, or if you have the 1.04.2000 eng hboot.

Upvote 0
In the other thread I thought you were telling me to install a stock recovery. I don't want to install a custom rom right now unless it can be done without wiping my data, is there any other way?

what other thread? i prolly was telling you to install a stock recovery,as its my opinion that its the best way to deal with OTAs.

however,you may have misunderstood the reasons.

when your running a stock rom,you will recieve notifications when OTAs are available. in some cases,the OTAs will apply themselves wether youve agreed to them or not :eek:

there are basically 3 ways(that i know of) to deal with this:
1)install a rom. even a stock rooted rom should have had the files that trigger an OTA removed. this will wipe your data(you can try to "dirty flash" or "update" by flashing the rom overtop of your stock one with no factory reset/data wipe but that is NOT the reccomended method,and more often than not causes prollems). if you backup all your user apps with titanium backup,re-set up on a fresh new rom install is fairly painless,plus making a nandroid backup prior to flashing allows you to go back to your current setup if you get too fustrated or change your mind about the new rom.

2) there is a file that lives in system/etc/security that you can rename with root explorer or the equivalent. this will cause the OTA to not install. however,the phone will periodically relaize there is an OTA,download it,and the install will fail. a minor PITA but it will keep you from accidentally installing OTAs wile running a custom recovery. directions and description in post #34 here

3)install the stock recoveries and let the OTAs install. IMO this is better ,as the OTAs do bring benefits and improvements that you may not ever get with options 1 or 2. it does require you to have rooted with revolutionary,or be running shadowmites permanent hboot,if you rooted old school. that way your s-off hboot is not overwritten during an OTA.

number 3 technically will lose your root after the ota is applied. however this is not a big deal. all you need to do,after every OTA is applied is the following:
-install a custom recovery(like clockwork)
-relfash the superuser .zip file(like when you originally rooted with revolutionary)
-reinstall your stock recovery in preparation for the next OTA.

hopefully that clears up some things for you :)

Reactions: Spaded21
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones