• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RAM is Low!!!!!!

Ok, I am sure that there is a thread on here about RAM but I downloaded Andriod System Info and it is telling me that I only have 46 meg of RAM available. :mad:

I am trying to figure out how to increase the available RAM. My phone is not running slow but I know that this can't be right, there should be more available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ok, I am sure that there is a thread on here about RAM but I downloaded Andriod System Info and it is telling me that I only have 46 meg of RAM available. :mad:

I am trying to figure out how to increase the available RAM. My phone is not running slow but I know that this can't be right, there should be more available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Upvote 0
Android manages the Ram itself if you open an app and their isn't sufficient Ram it will prioritize the other running background tasks and close what is not needed to run whatever app you just opened. Very efficient and for those who like to have lots of Ram all the time they use task killers. I have noticed in the 2.2 update that they have improved the Ram management system as im consistently over 100+ available where as before in the high 30's and low 40's like several of you. I just let it do its thing. Also have seen many posts regarding not using task killers at all once you have done the 2.2 update as the Android system has been improved and the taskkiller is built in now. Under Applications in the settings. Hope this helps answer any questions you have...

Not a pro but googling my azz off daily to figure all this crap out :)

Upvote 0
RAM NOT BEING USED IS RAM BEING WASTED.

Don't worry about it, the system is doing exactly what it's supposed to, allocating the resources it has available to it. You're not going to "run out" or anything like that; processes that aren't being used are unmapped and unallocated.

(Personally, I blame Microsoft for threads like this- they made OS' that ended up suffering if it "ran out of memory" and it's left an indelible bad mark in peoples' minds. :( )

Reactions: teky
Upvote 0
Task Killer...Problem solved.....Alot of apps just start up and sit there taking up system memory.....

negative. Your task killer kills them, then they automatically start up again. You've now used twice as much battery in just the first instance.

DONT USE Task killers. how many times do we have to review this topic? Just cause it's running doesn't mean anything, it's OK, LET IT RUN. Instead you want to kill it, it's only going to start again which will use system resources and CPU, thus sending more processes to your processor actually slowing it down and using additional battery power!

Upvote 0
I uses the automatic task killer application. It will kill task that you don't want or don't want open after you turn-off the screen, and can help with battery life.

Here is an anecdotal story of how automatic task killer helped me.

One time i was using my EVO to check email using work's MS exchange OWA web page, during a quick break between meetings. For some reason the page only loaded 70% and was stuck, I try couple more time and the same thing happen. By then my break was over and my next meeting was about to start; so I shut-off the screen and headed for my next meeting. 2 hour later I finally had a chance to check my mail again, my phone battery had drop from 80% down to 25%. I quickly realized that while the I had turn the screen off, the phone was still running trying to load the page for me, therefore keeping the internet connection open and draining my battery.

After that incident I started using the Automatic task killer app, and make sure when I shut off the screen, most of the application that doesn't need to be running in the background are automatically killed after a 5 minute delay. For most part only a few application needs to run in the background (Pandora, Map, Navigation, Audible, music, stock, weather, friend stream, clock, calendar, mail, Gmail, and a few other).

Now while i think using a Task Killer can help with you with freeing ram, and improving battery life; Be warn, you must know what you are doing, and must research the topic thoroughly before installing a task killer, or else you might disable core functionalities on your android phone. For example:
1) Kill the clock application will stop your morning alarm from working (found out the hard way after missing a morning meeting)
2) Killing the gmail or mail task will prevent you from getting automatic mail updates
3) Killing stock/weather/friend stream app will prevent you from getting updates.
4) killing messager app will stop all incoming SMS and MMS

So if you are an advance user or have the time to learn about the topic, I think task manager/killer can help you. But if you don't know what you are doing, and have no time to learn it, stay away from all task killer/manager apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones