RAM/ROM usage for certain programs

Last Updated:

1. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's a new one for everyone.....after pretty much a day of doing nothing on the phone except a few texts (GPS and WIFI were on all day), I got home and started playing with the phone. It got SOOOOOOOOOO slow (and I'm not nitpicking, I'm talking WinMo-hang-slowness....believe me, I understand a little bit of lag, but this was insane!) so I checked the Applications and Manage Applications. Now I know everyone's first answer is "get a task manager, etc" but I am not going to give into that, because I believe it'll cause more problems, or at least potential for more problems, by adding more variables to the equation if something goes wrong. I was looking at some of the applications that seem to be using quite a bit of RAM/ROM and had a question for the community:

The biggest 3 applications were:

Mail - 34.80 MB (34.25 MB Data + 556 KB Cache) and using 6.78 MB Ram
    Contacts Storage - 4.09 MB total (all data) and 11.56 MB RAM
    com.android.providers.calendar - 2.78 MB total (all data) and 11.02 RAM

What does everyone else's look like? I know I'm not going to be touching the Contacts Storage or com.android.providers.calendar stuff, but what happens if I clear my data and cache in mail? I have it hooked to an Exchange Server at work. What exactly gets cleared, and will that help with any of my lag? Do these numbers look pretty representative of everyone else's?

Any input is appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

Good for you not looking at a task manager first! The contacts RAM usage looks strange but I haven't looked at mine. Do you have your contacts linked to FB accounts? The updates/pics could account for the RAM usage. Mail looks fine honestly. Exchange is syncing all of your folders. To cause less usage bring up Outlook next time you are in the office and change the archive settings and archive more frequently. This is one reason I hate Exchange but it's a fact of life for those of us in the business world. I suspect the calendar memory usage is Exchange related as well but I sync with a Google account and an Exchange server and don't have slowness at the end of the day so I can't be sure.

Do you have any Market apps installed? With the way Market works there's no testing on the part of Google so there's a lot of apps out there with memory leaks that wouldn't show memory being used but also unavailable for the system to reclaim. This is where a task manager can come in handy. I don't auto-kill anything. I test apps for memory leaks by installing what I want, using it, and if it slows down the phone over time I kill it manually with TasKiller and only use it when I need to or if it's really bad I uninstall it. I have 30 hours uptime on the phone right now and don't have any noticeable slowness.

3. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the informative response!! I wasn't thinking that the Exchange Server could be the cause (and both Calendar and Contacts are synced through Exchange, as well as Contacts synced w/ Facebook). That makes total sense. What does "Clear Data" do though? I'm assuming it won't wipe anything off the server, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

As an update, I really want to avoid the Task Manager/Killer stuff because I just want the OS to do it's job, which I have no doubts it will. I do have a TON of stuff going on, with Facebook and Twitter always updating, so i KNOW it's going to lag a bit, and that's cool, but last night was just odd. It was almost unusable. Today, however, everything seems to be running silky smooth. No issues to note. I am a little worried because a few times yesterday, my signal kept switching to 1x/evdo and it's never done that before. I live in the 2nd biggest city in Illinois, and coverage is 100% here. I'll just have to keep an eye out and see if it keeps up that behavior.

Anyway, thanks again for the input.