• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random Data Dropping

So I got my Droid 4 a few days ago through the company I work for and thus far it has been working flawlessly; great phone and I like it.

However, this morning I have no 3G data connection. I've tried toggling Airplane mode on/off, turning the Mobile Network selection on/off, and restarted numerous times. I thought maybe it was Verizon 3G was maybe just down in my area, but my Droid Incredible 2 is working just fine (actually mobile hotspotting off of it) but the Droid 4 just isn't getting connection. I know I'm in good service area looking at my DInc 2 with it's full bar count and 3G connectivity.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Also, I'm not rooted.

So I got my Droid 4 a few days ago through the company I work for and thus far it has been working flawlessly; great phone and I like it.

However, this morning I have no 3G data connection. I've tried toggling Airplane mode on/off, turning the Mobile Network selection on/off, and restarted numerous times. I thought maybe it was Verizon 3G was maybe just down in my area, but my Droid Incredible 2 is working just fine (actually mobile hotspotting off of it) but the Droid 4 just isn't getting connection. I know I'm in good service area looking at my DInc 2 with it's full bar count and 3G connectivity.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Also, I'm not rooted.
It's a common problem in all VZW 4g phones, an update may alleviate the problem.

Upvote 0
Just did a factory reset, sadly still the same way. I'm not sure what's happening here. We don't have 4G in the area I'm in, and my other phone sitting 6 inches away from the Droid 4 has perfect 3G connection. Bleh.

EDIT: Progress, maybe? I seem to have the "1X" signal now.
EDIT 2: Not sure if it had to do with the Factory Reset, but 3G just came back. lol
EDIT 3: Meh, I have no idea what's happening. Gone again. :(

Upvote 0
Just a thought, could removing and re-inserting the SIM card make a difference? I know you used to be able to dial *22899 or *228 to "reset" your network connection, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

EDIT: Tried sliding out SIM card, but still not luck.
Don't do *228 on 4g phones, you can really mess things up.

There was/is a data outage in some areas:
http://phandroid.com/2012/03/13/verizon-wireless-experienced-brief-data-outage/

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/1...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(droid+life)

Upvote 0
4G phones that haven't seen some kind of OTA enhancement or update have been known to "drop" the data connection where 4G is spotty or when the phone's hardware skips a beat on signal acquisition.

The problem is that, for some unknown reason, it can't handled the 4G-3G-1X transition as gracefully as it should based on which kind of signal frequency is giving it the best shot to a data connection.

My Droid4 does at home several times a day. Which is frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones