Random Data DroppingSupport

Last Updated: 2012-03-20 14:51:20
  1. Nucco

Nucco Well-Known Member

So I got my Droid 4 a few days ago through the company I work for and thus far it has been working flawlessly; great phone and I like it.

However, this morning I have no 3G data connection. I've tried toggling Airplane mode on/off, turning the Mobile Network selection on/off, and restarted numerous times. I thought maybe it was Verizon 3G was maybe just down in my area, but my Droid Incredible 2 is working just fine (actually mobile hotspotting off of it) but the Droid 4 just isn't getting connection. I know I'm in good service area looking at my DInc 2 with it's full bar count and 3G connectivity.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    Also, I'm not rooted.

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

It's a common problem in all VZW 4g phones, an update may alleviate the problem.
  3. Nucco

Nucco Well-Known Member

Just a thought, could removing and re-inserting the SIM card make a difference? I know you used to be able to dial *22899 or *228 to "reset" your network connection, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

EDIT: Tried sliding out SIM card, but still not luck.
  4. gloriousnumber1

gloriousnumber1 Well-Known Member

My rezound has only 1x, I think it is another outage. If LTE is down, even 3g won't work on 4g phones as I've been told.
  5. Nucco

Nucco Well-Known Member

Just did a factory reset, sadly still the same way. I'm not sure what's happening here. We don't have 4G in the area I'm in, and my other phone sitting 6 inches away from the Droid 4 has perfect 3G connection. Bleh.

EDIT: Progress, maybe? I seem to have the "1X" signal now.
    EDIT 2: Not sure if it had to do with the Factory Reset, but 3G just came back. lol
    EDIT 3: Meh, I have no idea what's happening. Gone again. :(
  6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Don't do *228 on 4g phones, you can really mess things up.

There was/is a data outage in some areas:
    http://phandroid.com/2012/03/13/verizon-wireless-experienced-brief-data-outage/

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/1...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(droid+life)
  7. Nucco

Nucco Well-Known Member

So I lost data again today, been without it pretty much all day. Been talking to Verizon Support through Twitter (@VZWsupport) and they haven't really helped. Could this be an issue with the phone? They are telling me there are no outages in my area currently. :/
  8. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

4G phones that haven't seen some kind of OTA enhancement or update have been known to "drop" the data connection where 4G is spotty or when the phone's hardware skips a beat on signal acquisition.

The problem is that, for some unknown reason, it can't handled the 4G-3G-1X transition as gracefully as it should based on which kind of signal frequency is giving it the best shot to a data connection.

My Droid4 does at home several times a day. Which is frustrating.