• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random file monitoring service popups in Chinese

Upvote 0
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Another 'me, too' here. Samsung Galaxy S5. First noticed it today. Took quite a while to be able to time a screenshot . OCR'd the images and translated from Chinese to English - "Start File Monitoring Service" and "Processed Files." That brought me here.

Seemed to consistently happen within a second or so of coming out of lock screen after sleep mode. Only background updates in the past several days; nothing installed, nothing manually updated. Based on a wild hunch and previous issues with it, I have uninstalled ES File Explorer (most recent update version according to Playstore is 9 July 2016. )

Haven't seen the popup a single time in the 20-30 minutes since uninstalling. It was happening almost every time I came out of sleep and lockscreen.

Upvote 0
I have an LG V10 and don't have Pokemon GO installed. I do however have UC Browser and I've been using it around the time the Chinese toasts had started.

Anyone else for UC Browser, or similar?

FWIW I tend to be very particular about any "free" Chinese apps I use, I use Chrome only for browsing.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Another 'me, too' here. Samsung Galaxy S5. First noticed it today. Took quite a while to be able to time a screenshot . OCR'd the images and translated from Chinese to English - "Start File Monitoring Service" and "Processed Files." That brought me here.

Seemed to consistently happen within a second or so of coming out of lock screen after sleep mode. Only background updates in the past several days; nothing installed, nothing manually updated. Based on a wild hunch and previous issues with it, I have uninstalled ES File Explorer (most recent update version according to Playstore is 9 July 2016. )

Haven't seen the popup a single time in the 20-30 minutes since uninstalling. It was happening almost every time I came out of sleep and lockscreen.

That's a Chinese app, and apparently has had some fooky goings on with it recently.

Upvote 0
My wife has an HTC Desire 610 doing this. No apps have been installed recently (just background updates). I get the errors even while using Google Play Store (when I was looking up the last apps installed). I just uninstalled ES File Explorer. We'll see what happens.

I'm gonna download ES File Explorer and scan it for the toast references...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones