"Random" music not randomSupport

Last Updated:

1. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed this same issue with my HTC Hero, and then it seemed to go away. Now I've noticed it again.

The issue is this: I have around 2700 songs on my SD card, all in a folder called Music, and they are arranged, quite logically, by artist and album under that. Unfortunately, when I put the music application on random, it seems to get stuck on 4 or 5 artists (and sometimes within those artists, one particular album) and play those almost exclusively, with only an occasional diversion to some other artist. At one point it was so bad that a. it played one particular song 6 times in a 4 hour period, and b. I got so tired of one of my artists, I deleted it entirely!

So, is this a bug with the built in music player? Is it because of the amount of music I have? Is it because of where my music is stored? Has anyone else had this problem? (Or does Android OS just have an affinity for The Byrds? :D)

Are there any other music apps I can try? I tried Simply Music, and it did work much better on the randomization, but it hung for a few seconds several times (for no discernable reason) and it is very slow to load.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Advertisement
    marrog likes this.
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

It's because of either HTC music player or android and it IRRITATES me. The problem is that the music player selects a song after each song is over instead of putting your whole library in a random order, so it tends to pick a number multiple times

3. dmcduck

So, it is not my imagination!! Whew!

4. THEFORCE

I updated my post

5. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

Same problem here. Just took a trip and it was irritating the hell out of me.

6. THEFORCE

Here's how I proved my theory...if u have your music set on random, go to the previous song then click next and it won't be the same song. So on my sisters ipod touch I did this and noticed that all 600 were already in a random order so when I went to the previous song then forward it was the same song. I hope that makes sense

dmcduck likes this.
  7. dmcduck

I had noticed that as well. It does make sense, now that you point it out. Still sucks.

Maybe my first foray into Android programming will be to write my own music manager!!!

8. Scarlett920

Scarlett920 Well-Known Member

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I would hear the same song over and over again no matter how many times I would skip. After I got annoyed hearing the same song I changed it and ending up fumbling my phone. It fell and cracked! :( sad face... I'm getting the new one tomorrow... :)

9. dmcduck

I have since discovered that if you open the songs list and choose random from there, it seems to work better. At least that way I don't seem to be stuck on a few artists constantly.

10. jadoe05

jadoe05 Well-Known Member

Has been a "problem" on htc music players since I can remember. The actual problem is the expectation of what random is. If something is truly random then, in theory, any list greater than maybe even one choice could go on infinitely having never selected each choice. iMedia (ipod, ipad, iphone, itunes) literally "shuffles" (think cards) the playlist once and that is the new order. What most people (me included) want is random selection with exclusion, or weighted random selection, or whatever it is called. lol. This would choose an item from a list and then it is excluded from the next selection from the list. Doesn't really help anyone out, but I hope someone might understand what is happening more.

11. THEFORCE

that makes plenty of sense

12. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Digging up this thread instead of starting a new one...

To reiterate, is there a music app that when you choose "random" it will play the songs from a playlist in a random order without ever repeating songs? (This is how iTunes works!) It's so annoying when I put the stock music app on "random" and I hear the same song 2-3 times in one hour!

13. hbfreekwan

hbfreekwan Member

ever try doubletwist?

14. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's random on the EVO instead of shuffle. Shuffle should be the standard but I think random is easier to develop.

15. srothkin

srothkin Well-Known Member

JAT -- the stock music app has 2 different shuffle modes: party shuffle and shuffle all. Party shuffle tries to play similar songs and tends to repeat much sooner. Shuffle all songs in library (which you have to tap the menu button to get to) seems to be much more random (though not perfect in terms of what gets repeated when).

16. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Tried Doubletwist, it uses the same "random" as the stock player. That is, it next song is completely random without regard for what has already been played.

17. toeknee76

toeknee76 Well-Known Member

mine does a weird play list when on "random". lets say i have 10 cd's loaded. when i hit random, it will play song # 1 from disc one, then song 1 from disc 2, then song 1 from disc 3.....etc. then it goes to song 2 from disc one, song 2 from disc 2.....etc.

it is really annoying!

18. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf New Member

Anybody have a new update with this? Just got my Evo last month and this is my only beef. As much as I love Taylor Swift, "Sparks Fly" playing 6 times in one hour of running is not gonna cut it.

Thanks

19. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

what music player are you using? how many music tracks are on your SD card? are they all mp3s or .wavs and mp3 mixed...?

do you have album cover for the majority of your tracks?

are you rooted?

20. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf New Member

Using the stock player, for no other reason than it 's still accessable after the screen locks. I have a couple hundred songs on there and growing. They're in both formats and very few have album artwork. I am not rooted. Fear of destructioin and all

21. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

mixzing has put alot of effort into the random play function. it has been a work in progress, and it has progressively been better with each update.

22. marrog

marrog New Member

I have the same problem with my Galaxy i5801:

it tends to mostly stick to tracks from about 8 or so albums, but then sticks something different in every 5 tracks or so, before returning to the same albums again.

I accept that 'random' is unlikely to really mean that, but some kind of halfway house where I don't get bored of a small proportion of my music would be nice!