Random Question? Need Answer Tonight!!!General

Last Updated:

1. lilroot

lilroot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that I have your attention, forgive me if the answer for this has been said before.

Hear - Me - Out

You know how they have mobile sites for cell phones (i.e. espn.mobile, your favorite site.mobile)? Why would there not ALSO be a mobile site (at least on the Eris) to view a mobile version of this site, where most people view this site on their Eris? Or like and app or something with a lot smoother layout, knowing that most of the people on this site, regularly, own an Eris?

Is that a dumb question? I have read these forums and ones like it (crackberry when the storm came out, ERIS IS 1,000,000 X better than the storm) and I have never heard a question like that.

Advertisement
  2. graywolferis1

graywolferis1 Well-Known Member

Phandroid app ftw!

3. lilroot

Is that a current app? I could not find it. Is that for this site?

EDIT: Downloaded the PHANDRIOD NEWS app, and it's not good at all. IMO

4. graywolferis1

graywolferis1 Well-Known Member

No, I was suggesting that a app would be nice. :p

5. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

Have wondered the same thing myself. Thought it was odd there wasn't a mobile version for this site.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Now that I know you are a dope I will block you. Save your bull shit subject line for something real and don't waste my time.

7. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

User CP > Edit Options > Forum Skin > AF Mobile

8. kar0la420

kar0la420 Well-Known Member

There is.. at the bottom left of the page is an option for "phandroid skin" pull down and select "af mobile". It might be on the main page only though, that part I'm not sure about.

9. smacky

smacky Banned

I never knew that....so I tried it...and I don't think a website has pissed me off that much before. Never going back.

This site truly needs to be mobile-optimized like ESPN is. This skin crap is for people that don't have a touch screen and use a trackball for everything.

10. lilroot

My bad, I did not mean to waste your time!

11. lilroot

So yea, I think this would be an amazing app, cause I would use this site soooo much more if there was a mobile app, as would others I believe, thus making the site better with more posts and more solutions, faster.

Can anyone create one, or only the owner of this site?

Anybody got some free time? Haha

12. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

13. lilroot

For any website to be "mobile-ized" I think this one should be. Don't get me wrong, currently when I am on this site 99% of the time I am using a computer, not Eris. So it does not really matter to me, but I believe most of the posts on here come from people on the Eris (or another Droid phone).

I think an app would be a lot better than a mobile site for this page, cause the buttons would be more user friendly, but either way, there should be atleast one of those.

14. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

If you consider a website to be mobilized you need to consider 'why?'

"Do you REALLY need a 'Forum' to be made Mobile Friendly?"

IMO: No.

The site uses very little recourses and even less battery-pull, the ads load quick, even on the Mobile Network. And of course, it's a forum. If you need a quick answer to a problem you have, then log onto the forum on your phone (you don't even have to log on, just go to the forum) and find it.

If you plan on giving a long reply or new Thread, then use your personal confuser. It's a lot easier and more manageable. Especially with a larger screen.

You'll be even more annoyed at how long it takes to type on your phone on the Forum then it does waiting for the forum to load. And if you’re not careful you can reload the page, close the page or even get a call and clear your Thread or Reply. (I know people are going to try and see if all that'll happen; so I'll go ahead and say "It may and may not"..the phone it's a computer, it's not perfect)

Even if an Application is created for the Forum (which would be great, of course) it will be limited. And besides, if the app is exactly like the Forum.. why have a PC version of it?

So all considerations..

Yes, a mobile version would be cool to have.
    No, it will not be exactly like the forum.
    Yes, it will be limited and people will get annoyed and complain that it's not like the full version site. This is when they will be told to go to the full site and use the forum.

That’s my rant, and I'm sticking to it. lol There isn't a need for some of the language and obvious anger issues by some of the replies here. It was a question, not an execution.