Random Reboot causes

Are you experiencing random reboots on your LG Spectrum?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2012.
  1. Are you currently experiencing Random Reboots?

19 vote(s)
  2. Have you never experienced a random reboot?

4 vote(s)
  3. Did you used to experience random reboots? (I fixed it and know what caused them)

4 vote(s)
  4. Did you used to experience random reboots? (I have no idea what it was, they just went away)

1 vote(s)

Last Updated:

1. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

I'm fully stock with none of the known culprit applications and have had 2 random reboots in the last week.

2. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

I think lookout mobile may cause them also, but have not been able to prove it. I get maybe 2 reboots a week right now, after my first 48 hours with my modified BO 3.0

Another one to look into would be tapatalk, several people, me included, have mentioned reboots while using it.
  3. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I've had tapatalk throw a fatal error that led to a soft reboot, but never random, because I don't have it auto updating.

What's most confusing are the soft reboots from using rom toolbox... Never had a phone get overwhelmed by that app like this phone is.
  4. admn81

admn81 Well-Known Member

unfortunately poweramp is another culprit I suspect. not sure if it's already been mentioned. I've had 3 or 4 reboots while using it and putting my phone in pocket or during it down. it makes me wonder though is the problem really specific apps or is it something flawed with our spectrums?
  5. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

That's weird. I used poweramp and had no issues.

The argument and debate really is if it's the apps or the phone. I've used all these apps on other phones and never had random reboots so is it the apps not working with the phone or is the lg os flawed? I personally think it's the lg version of android, but I guess we'll see when we get an aosp or cm9 and if the reboots continue.

I find it hard to believe ts all the fault of the apps since the apps, phones, users and configuration are all different. If there was one app that didn't work, all users of that app would experience the issue. Logically, we have to conclude the lg version of android is the issue.
  6. jeshbeast

jeshbeast Well-Known Member

So I guess shut down different functions of lg if possible. I did freeze the mlt app and I'm having less errors in logcat. Right after I refresh NO I can get antirust to work but about an hour into running the phone I'll get a reboot everyone I run the CPU and memory test. I don't get reboots on any other tests. Curious.

It's got to be something to do with out of memory or memory allocation.
  7. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's ram allocation. It's more likely all the various lg apps, interfering with the java engine. All the reboots I get are java.lang.RuntimeException and calls for dead processes. I suspect all those lg monitoring and junk apps are to blame.
  8. jeshbeast

jeshbeast Well-Known Member

I don't get any reboots on stock so I wonder if some of those junk apps from lg work together to deal with memory management? Either kill a bunch of them or add one/enough back in tk gwt them to stop the problems. I noticed while on stock v4 I could freez the "apps" program. If i did the same with v6 I would get all sorts of FCs.
  9. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I think that's what they're *supposed* to do, but I don't think they do as effectively as designed.
  10. finndo77

I had a random power off this morning, took 10 minutes of trying various amounts of time holding in the power button before it powered back on. When it came back on the battery was reporting 92% (should be correct I had just charged it to full an hour or so before it died)
  11. admn81

admn81 Well-Known Member

what LG system apps have u guys froze or deleted?
  12. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Well-Known Member

had a reboot yesterday. Text notification was sounding and i was unlocking the phone to check the message. Was kind of like a soft reboot, was a quick reboot back to home. When it got back to the home screen my notification bar was empty. A full power off fixed that though.
  13. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I froze lg mlt last night and haven't seen any adverse effects.
  14. admn81

admn81 Well-Known Member

I know there were a few posts about undervolting and the settings etc, but I dont recall what thread they were in. Can you post a link to the thread or anymore info about the "best" settings for this?

No reboots so far with Popcorn Kernel...I have no clue if the Blitz kernel could be contributing to reboots...will post more info after running this setup longer as its only been a day and change.
  15. finndo77

Froze mine a few days ago, nothing new to report, stock having wacky data issues (Google voice won't send messages, but received them fine, both markets occasionally tell me I have no internet connection), and I had a random reboot about an hour ago and one yesterday also.
  16. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Here's what I have frozen with no issues:

WaVeS likes this.
  17. ups2525

ups2525 Well-Known Member

I'm a UPS driver & have an ear bud in my left ear all day during work listening to my music. I was using Winamp, which I f'ing loved, and had 6-12 reboots daily. I noticed a significant drop in battery levels after the device rebooted. I have, for the last 2 work days, frozen via TB Winamp and I'm trying out Google music and Amazon mp3 Cloud player. I have had 1 reboot during this time and it happened while I was getting directions on Google Maps. Without fail I experience multiple reboots, and sometimes brief bootloops, when I run all GPS, data, wifi and Google Maps to get directions. All hell breaks loose when I'm getting directions! As much as I love Winamp it won't be easy but I'm gonna stay the course, get some more time on both Gm and ACloud and report back then.
  18. finndo77

Hey ups, for a thought for you.
    1. Make sure LTE is off
    2. The the phone out of any case it might be in
    3. Hold the phone up to your AC vent while it is getting directions, and but after also
    4. Report back of it still reboots while getting directions

(If you are on LTE or if it is searching for it, while using GPS, it might be an overheating issue, especially if you have it in a case to protect it while you are working).

If this helps, you might want to look into a vent phone holder for using it for GPS. But take it down in the winter! :)

It is a slim chance this will help, as it is more likely to be asoftware issue, but you never know.

Fyi Google music runs entirely through the web and if it is a heat issue, this will make it worse.
    ups2525 likes this.
  19. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Gmusic caches songs to your phone, so it only uses data to pre cache a song; once you play it, future plays are off the cache on the sd card. If you exempt that folder from a cache cleaner, you can really reduce your data usage with that app.

It sounds like winamp was messing up his phone... I haven't installed it on my Spec because it doesn't feel right to me o a phone.... Love it on my laptop though.
    ups2525 likes this.
  20. finndo77

But with the issues he is having now, if it is heat related, Google music would wreak havoc on him when he starts using it the first couple of times (depending on how many songs he has, my Google music account has about 7000 songs, and would always have to download as they won't all fit on my SD)
  21. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Navigation heats my phone up.... That could be the culprit.
  22. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Well-Known Member

i use navi all the time and though it does heat up my phone a bit I haven't had issues with it rebooting.
  23. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Same here. Maybe the overheating, combined with other apps is causing his reboots.
  24. steamer86

steamer86 Well-Known Member

It reboots mine at times heat or not, more so with heat. Nothing works for me well but stock, reboots are very rare, but they do happen. I'm begging to think its just the phones android system.
  25. ups2525

ups2525 Well-Known Member

I hear ya guys...

I have around 1200 songs. The little I have used Google Play music I simply start the app and it gives me a list of my songs and I select my different particular play options and start listening. It sounds as though you can stream music but I keep data disabled all day and turn it on when needed but not for music during work. I do all my down loading at home and off the road.

Now I can tell you I via TB have frozen everything possible and then some so my apps are at a bare minimum and I try different combinations of apps occasionally to see if the reboots stop. As of right now I have, for the last week, used Opera browser (instead of Dolphin), Holo launcher, (instead of Go launcher EX), stock MMS (instead of Go MMS pro), Google Play music (instead of Winamp pro), and No-frills CPU Control @ 1.242/192 and gallimaufry gov and I have had 1 reboot which we have already discussed.

I'm guessing over heating has been my issue. I'm in San Antonio and we have had temps of 107. I also keep it in a closed leather case so I will buy an open one asap...thx for the tip finndo77.