Random rebooting after 4.2 updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

Ever since I updated to 4.2, I am getting random reboots a few times a day. It has only happened a couple times during active use. I usually notice it because the recent apps list is empty. It is a little annoying, but not driving me crazy. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member

I've been getting this for a couple of days. Most recently while it was just sitting on a table. Since it started days after the update installed, I wonder if an app is causing it.
  3. UKCatFan

I have not added any apps since updating the OS. It could be something existing that is not compatible though.
  4. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

It might be a temporary thing. I had the same thing happen to my Nexus 7 after the update about a week ago. But now I've noticed that in the last 2 days or so, it HASN'T rebooted and I've actually been getting longer battery life than when I first updated as well. At first it was draining noticeably faster than it had before, but now after a week it seems to have settled down. Maybe the device just needs a little while to adjust itself to the new filmware.
  5. UKCatFan

I got the update before people on here were even talking about it, so I think I was one of the early ones. I have not had a slowdown in the rebooting. It happened twice tonight. Hopefully it will get better.
  6. xirconuk

xirconuk Member

I get this on 4.1.2 Bugless Beast. I installed an app called Battery Booster, just before it shuts down it says (quite spooky!) "Your battery has overheated" (or something along those lines) and shuts down! The N7 is cool to the touch and was not being used.

When I immediately reboot, the battery temp is normal - do not know what is going on! But it hasn't done this for 3 days........ But then I will get a few reboots (guaranteed!).

7. Hoosiermama

Looking at the Google forums, it looks like it's being report across multiple devices after the 4.2 upgrade.

Issue 39912 - android - Galaxy Nexus Random Reboots on Android 4.2 JOP40C - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Some people are reporting it after installing HD Widgets. I had not had it happen when I first got the update, then saw HD Widgets had other widgets for the lock screen and installed that. Shortly after that, the first reboot happened, so I was suspecting that.

Hopefully a fix to either apps or 4.2 will come soon.
  8. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

Mine just started doing it too.
  9. Hoosiermama

I uninstalled HD Widgets yesterday morning, and mine has not rebooted since. Does anyone else with the reboot issue have HD Widgets installed?
  10. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do and have a clock/weather widget on my lock screen. It hasn't rebooted for a couple of days now though.
  11. The12thDoctor

The12thDoctor Well-Known Member

Yeah mine has been doing it since I've had the HD widgets on the lockscreen. Random reboots every now and then.
  12. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

Just got my nexus 7 yesterday. Love pure android, received 4.1.2 update as soon as I turned it on. Everything running smooth and amazing. THEN 4.2 update shows up and all the fun ends. Just today I have had 4 hard shutdowns and I have to hold the power button for at least 20 seconds to get it to restart. Google needs to recognize this problem and send out a fix immediately!!!!!
  13. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

My experience couldn't be more different. My new Nexus 7 was updated to 4.12 and then 4.2 while it was still charging, and other than setting up the inbuilt apps (Gmail, etc) I had not installed anything before the 4.2 update.

My Nexus 7 has never rebooted, just a few app crashes (mainly Chrome) in the first use after the update that were fixed by clearing the app data. Since then I have had absolutely no issues at all.

I don't use widgets on the lock screen.
  14. raven_go

raven_go Member

Mine started doing it last week did it on Tuesday, Friday and today so every 3 days and like Dmowry I have to hold down the power back for a good while for it to start again
  15. UKCatFan

Mine has slowed down, but still at least once every day and a half or so.
  16. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

I've also been having the reboot issue but today there was an update from HD widgets and the change log mentioned a fix for reboot issues in 4.2, so maybe that was it. Was anyone else also using HD widgets?
  17. Hoosiermama

Mine stopped rebooting after I uninstalled HD Widgets. I also had Beautiful Widgets, and yesterday they came out with a lockscreen widget, which is really nice. I have had mine reboot with that installed...yet anyway;).
  18. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

I haven't had any reboots since the HD widgets update yesterday so it looks like that was it.
  19. global2

global2 Well-Known Member

Same exact behavior for me. Started random reboots after upgrade while using. And i do have HD widgets and the lockscreen widgets loaded. Guess I'll assume that is the problem. Love HD widgets - probably worth putting up with occasional reboots until app gets updated.
  20. Hoosiermama

I also have beautiful widgets. The lockscreen widget hasn't caused the reboot issue. It did reboot one time while beautiful widgets was updating, but that was the only time.
  21. UKCatFan

Yeah, I think HD Widgets was the cause. I got rid of it and have not had the problem since. BW has everything I need anyway.