• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random Reboots caused by Auto Rotate?

GuitarG20

Clueless Senior Member
Jun 23, 2012
Texas
So I've been having issues with random reboots since updating to 5.0 on my N5. It seemed to be happening about once every 10 hours or so, but I couldn't find a rhyme or reason for it. Recovery cache clearing didn't help, nor did the update to 5.0.1.

Hovever, I've noticed since I locked my orientation in portrait mode about 5 days ago that I haven't had a single reboot since. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

So I've been having issues with random reboots since updating to 5.0 on my N5. It seemed to be happening about once every 10 hours or so, but I couldn't find a rhyme or reason for it. Recovery cache clearing didn't help, nor did the update to 5.0.1.

Hovever, I've noticed since I locked my orientation in portrait mode about 5 days ago that I haven't had a single reboot since. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

That's a strange one GuitarG20.o_OClearing cache was my first thought also. I really haven't heard anything about anyone else having this issue.
So you went from 5.0 to 5.1.0 and the reboots still continue.
How did you install lollipop...Did you manually fastboot flash all the Google images to upgrade or by another method?
What lollipop build are you currently on?

Have you tried any custom ROM's? Maybe even one of the 5.0.2 roms.

Have you backed up everything and tried a factory data reset? (Hate to recommend a FDR but this one seems to me like it might be the solution to your problem)
That factory data reset, solved a couple issues for me when I upgraded to lollipop... And coming from the last custom ROM back to DU 9.0 I had to perform a FDR just because of some FCz and odd behavior I was getting. All had been smooth as butter and awesome on DU after the FDR though.
I've tried all the stock factory images and a hand full of custom ROMs now and haven't experienced this issue yet.

Seems to me that it would be weird that the orientation sensor would go bad, right as you were upgrading, so it seems to me that something else is causing the problem and it's not hardware related.

Maybe even try booting into safe mode and see if it's a rogue app something.
I has an issue with a live wallpaper conflicting with my orientation on one of my tablets... Uninstalled the app and it's been fine ever since.

Anyway... Just some thoughts and hopefully something in there that might help! ;)

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
That's a strange one GuitarG20.o_OClearing cache was my first thought also. I really haven't heard anything about anyone else having this issue.
So you went from 5.0 to 5.1.0 and the reboots still continue.
How did you install lollipop...Did you manually fastboot flash all the Google images to upgrade or by another method?
What lollipop build are you currently on?

Have you tried any custom ROM's? Maybe even one of the 5.0.2 roms.

Have you backed up everything and tried a factory data reset? (Hate to recommend a FDR but this one seems to me like it might be the solution to your problem)

Seems to me that it would be weird that the orientation sensor would go bad, right as you were upgrading, so it seems to me that something else is causing the problem and it's not hardware related.

Maybe even try booting into safe mode and see if it's a rogue app something.
I has an issue with a live wallpaper conflicting with my orientation on one of my tablets... Uninstalled the app and it's been fine ever since.

Anyway... Just some thoughts and hopefully something in there that might help! ;)

I flashed the OTA to get to 5.0.0, then I got a OTA to 5.0.1.

Trying to stay as stock as possible since I can now (last phone was at&t HOXL and I had to flash my own to get updates then, I'm digging not having to do that right now).

FDR is the next step I think.

Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones