Random reboots? How often is too often?

Last Updated:

1. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

howdy-

I am getting frustrated with all the re-boots on my Droid. They don't seem to be related to any running service, unless it is a background service. 98% of the time the phone reboots, it is "asleep" in my pocket. I will hear the notification chime, pull the phone out, and see the droid eye. suxxor, booted again! This happens about twice a day now. Before the 2.1 OTA it was about once a day. When the phone was new, it was about once every other day. Phone was rooted, but not rom'ed before OTA. I have not re-rooted after OTA. I have not wiped (ever), but am about ready to try. Recently added Helix as my home, but had the re-boots before helix.

I don't have time to post a full app list, maybe tomorrow I can get it scribed down.

Any Ideas?

Advertisement
  2. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Well first off, I don't think you're supposed to upgrade to 2.1 OTA with the phone rooted. But I don't think that's your problem. Most likely an app is causing this. Probably would be best to wipe it clean. It doesn't make any sense that it would have been frequently rebooting when you first got it, unless you happened to install a bad app right away. Either way you should wipe it. A Droid that is working correctly will basically never reboot. Especially if it is stock.

3. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

My Droid (rooted and running Cyanogen) reboots about 1 time every month. So I suggest you get that checked out by Verizon support.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Any random reboots are too many, IMO. A more detailed app list would be helpful, but right off the bat - are you OCed? Are you monitoring temps?

5. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

Mine has been doing it as well since the 2.1 update. Just randomly shutting off. It happened this morning as a matter of fact. Never happened befor the update and I don't have any new apps.

6. Jerry-rigged

Oc'ed, no. Temp monitoring, yes. As for the update, I never turned the ota update off, so it updated it's own.

Question. If I do a full factory reset now, will I get 2.0.1, or 2.1?

Sent from my phone, no tappa talk needed.

7. Jerry-rigged

8. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

Since being stock, I don't think my phone has ever had a random reboot.

When I was rooted and rom'd, random reboots were a fairly normal occurence (three or four times a week, sometimes more).

9. Esabasard

Esabasard Well-Known Member

Mine used to random reboot often when I had a task killer installed. I uninstalled it and everything is better.

10. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

It's funny -- I used my 2.1 MotoDroid for about 3 minutes yesterday morning, plugged it back into the charger, and when I unplugged it from the charger 10 minutes later, it rebooted itself. First time ever. I didn't think much of it until I read this thread.