Random RebootsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, tonight I showed my wife, who has a Droid Eris like me, that the icon in her notification panel was telling her there were updates available for some of her apps. Turns out she hasn't updated any of them so she updated them all at once. Her phone starts lagging quite a bit and reboots itself spontaneously... just goes to a black screen and then restarts and boots back up. Once I realized what was happening I canceled the updates that hadn't yet downloaded and started Taskiller to get rid of all the programs running. Now her phone won't stop rebooting every 5 minutes or so. I did a hard reset by taking the battery out for a minute... does anyone have any suggestions? Her phone's been fine until tonight.

Advertisement
  2. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

By "rebooting" do you mean the HTC logo comes up every time? Is either one of you doing something to trigger the reboots? Or does it just do it while it's sitting, idle?

3. greenmunky

The screen goes black, the Verizon logo appears, followed by the little green Android heads, then the HTC Logo, then everything loads as though I reset the phone. At first I thought it was doing it when we were messing with Taskiller or in the Widget menu but now it's just resetting itself by itself when no one's doing anything to it. I dunno... she had just said how she loved the fact that her phone was set up just how she wanted it (she's only had it 2 weeks) and that it would suck if something happened to it. I guess she jinxed herself cause if it doesn't stop this I don't see what's gonna fix it other than a factory reset.

4. Ataranine

Well a factory reset, like you mentioned, sounds like the only possible solution, I'm afraid. :(

5. greenmunky

Is there any way to save any of her contacts, pictures, and things of that nature prior to the reset if it comes to that? Is there anything else that could be tried first?

6. Ataranine

All your contacts are synced to google's gmail. Your pics and videos and ringtones are saved to your SD card. No need to worry. The only thing that goes when you reset it is the apps. :)
    Just tell her to install one app at a time after the reset and see if it's better. If not then there's something more serious that someone in the store needs to take care of.

7. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

i get random restarts where the HTC logo appears

8. Tuxas

Tuxas Active Member

What apps does she have installed? Have you tried removing them, if the crashing happened right after updating the apps that should narrow your issue down. On a side note there is an anti-virus app that's been causing havoc.

9. greenmunky

She took it up to Verizon today and they immediately gave her a brand new one with no questions asked.

10. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Too bad...you could have saved a trip. Your problem was with one of the applications, not the phone.

If your phone was fine before the "updates" then started to misfire after, then it was more than likely that one of the updates did not agree with your phone.

Sometimes with these unverified third party apps, the app will have a negative effect on your phone, or even if it is running well, an update can have the same effect. I had the same thing happen to me with Startup Manager, bogged my phone something terribly.

11. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I had the same thing. I thought that I was going to have to run Home, not Sense, to get the phone to work well.

Turns out it was my Startup Manager app that was making things FUBAR.

Try looking for apps that have that kind of access, and remove them. Task Killer, etc. Something is causing your Sense UI to re-start, but not your phone. Get rid of all of those type of programs first, then see what happens from there.

12. dusthead

dusthead Well-Known Member

i had the same thing happen to me...after installing Handcent and updating a few other apps: antivirus, ......uhhhhh.....and i forgot. but after i uninstalled Handcent it stopped rebooting. which i was pretty disappointed because i got the recommendation to use Handcent instead of the stock messaging app from here due to the battery drain....

may wait a bit for an update or two on handcent and try again....

13. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

Needsdecaf thanks for the tip i will definitely check it out.

my phone gets really slow when the memory usage on my Advance Task Kill gets to 23m

I always have to kill all task to get the phone running fast. Does this happen to you?

14. littletwerpy

littletwerpy Member

Have a droid eris. about a week into use it started restarting every 2 minutes even without me touching it. Took it to the Verizon store and got it wiped it out. Came back to the verizon store 2 days later to get a new droid because that phone wouldnt make calls and it would only text sometimes.

15. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

I have that same problem. Besides that though, the phone works great.
    When I turn it on, it often reboots 2 or 3 times. The part where it loads the Verizon Wireless logo sometimes completes and shows the little Android, and then it happens again.

Is this ok?

16. DrDaveVa61

DrDaveVa61 New Member

I also had this issue, (Rebooting every 3 to 6 minutes) I tried deleting SMS box, Handcent, and Task Killer to no avail. I went to verizon, and they exchaged my phone no questions asked. I have had the phone for 3 weeks.

17. bullet1823

bullet1823 New Member

Ok. My wife and I were looking on the internet on my droid Eris and all of sudden the my computer page from a pc comes up and says my Droid has like a crap load of viruses how the heck do I fix it and get them off