Random reboots?

Last Updated:

1. RyanB

RyanB Guest This Topic's Starter

I've noticed lately that my Droid has been rebooting without cause, most recently just now. Can anyone suggest a way to find the cause, or know of any especially-buggy apps?

Advertisement
  2. nypuertorcn23

nypuertorcn23 Member

Sorta need a lil more info.Is the phone rooted? how many and what type of apps do you have?what are you doing when it does a reboot?as much info as u can pass along would be helpful for us to help

3. pjavan

pjavan Member

Can't suggest a fix, but I can confirm that i've experienced this in the past.

4. RyanB

1. Nope, my phone isn't rooted.
    2. As far as I know, I'm not doing anything at the time of reboot. The first time I was suspicious is that I found the phone to be loading weatherbug (I leave it showing the temp in the notification bar) when I woke up for work earlier this week, and when I held the home button, it didn't show a full six apps as having been recently used. Tonight, the phone was on the charger (about the only thing in common with the first apparent reboot) while I was playing video games (PS3, not on the Droid), and noticed the Moto logo showing from when the phone first boots up.
    3. Here's a list of my apps:
    Contacts GroupU
    Quick Settings
    Backup
    TV.com
    Meridian
    Multimedia station
    TaskManager
    WeatherBug
    Grocery King
    ACast
    CadreBible
    eReader
    Facebook
    Timeriffic
    Corporate Calendar
    Documents To Go
    FlightStats Lite
    More Icons Free Widget
    SportsTap
    SoxNews
    Handcent SMS
    System
    ShapeWriter keyboard
    S2 Calendar Widget(D)
    Quickoffice
    App Referrer
    Tapatalk Pro
    Shazam
    EasyMoney
    Keeper
    Documents To Go Full Version Key
    Camera
    Barcode Scanner
    Listables!
    MessageNow
    ASTRO
    Twidroid
    Note Everything
    Ring Toggle
    HandyCards
    Astrid
    ShopSavvy
    RingGuard

(edit for clarification)

5. RyanB

PJavan, post your apps and maybe we'll find one in common that's buggy.

6. RyanB

On related note, is there a way to check and see when the last reboot was? Out might help me track it better....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

A rooted phone would have no more reason to reboot than a non-rooted phone. Just sayin'.

If this is new behavior, it has to be an app that's doing it. Use ASTRO to backup all of your apps, then an uninstaller app to get rid of them, one at a time. Tedious process, but I can't think of an alternative.

From your list, the only one I recall someone having serious issues with was the More Icons Free Widget.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

If you look in Settings > About Phone > Status ... the bottom parameter is "Up time". That resets after each reboot. (Mine was at over 80 hours ... cool!)

9. RyanB

Thanks for the up time tip. I'll try going without that widget and see if that helps.

10. RyanB

It is relatively new behavior, but my problem is that a SLEW of my apps got updated this week, so I've got no idea where I'd start, regarding "fishy" apps.

11. BLSCHMITZ

BLSCHMITZ Member

I was having a lot of issues too, and switched back to the standard home, from home++, and haven't had a sinle event since. Don't know if they were related for sure or not at all.

12. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

home++ had been known to be unstable for some people, but even then at most it should just force close, not reboot your phone.

13. tjs5220

tjs5220 Member

more icons widget force closed on me all the time and I started having the same problem after installing it. get rid of that one.

14. RyanB

I haven't used H++ for some time (didn't like the bug where using its web icon kept taking me back to Google like some kinda home screen or something), so that wasn't an issue for me. That being said, I noticed More Icons FCing as well, even right after a reboot (specificallly, the unintended one on Sat night). I've stopped using it, though it's still on the phone, and haven't rebooted in 39 hrs and counting. Hopefully Messenger13 was right and I'm out of the woods.

15. Brian_B

Brian_B Member

Mine has been doing this as well. I have very few apps installed. Yesterday the thing seemed to be completely off all-together! I had to remove the battery and put it back in to get a response at all!

16. RyanB

64 hours and counting. I'm going from hopeful to confident that More Icons was the problem.

17. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

How many hours do you have to rack up before you reach the finish line? I can't stand the suspense anymore!

18. RyanB

:) I won't consider this to be truly resolve until I've broken the 168 mark (minimum), so a few more days.

19. RyanB

Got in touch with the Dev, and am update to More Icons seems to have done the trick.