Random restarts, now I lost my contacts/messages/random app data, what do I do?Support

Last Updated:

1. Kitten Mittens

Kitten Mittens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Incredible since 4/28, and everything has been working smoothly up until about last Thursday night when it just restarted out of the blue while I was listening to music. Then right after it booted up, it restarted again, then again about seven more times. I got fed up and took out the SD card and it seemed to stop after that, so I haven't put the SD card back in since then.

Just now, Wednesday, about a week later, I was browsing around on the internet and all of a sudden, it restarted, and then again, and again, and again. I've read that it is because of poor signal strength or something like that so I had just enough time to put it in airplane mode before it restarted again.

Side note, that theory about it being caused by poor signal seems to make sense because the first time it happened to me I was out of town in a city that gets very bad coverage with Verizon, and now today when it started happening again was at my house where for some reason I get very bad service with the incredible, my old phone worked perfectly fine in my house but the incredible gets terrible service, and so does my brother's Droid. In fact, about two weeks ago I got my first dropped call on Verizon in about three years, and it was in my house.

So anyways, I decided to put it in airplane mode, and just after I put it in airplane mode it restarted again. Then when it booted back up my Helix Launcher 2 home screen went back to the standard Helix Launcher 2 icons, I go into my messages and everything is gone, my contacts are all gone, everything is gone. I go to the app menu and all my apps are still there, but when I start up an app, all the custom settings are default now. I went into the settings and my accounts are all still there. I click on internet and I get a terms of service agreement, it's as if I am booting it up for the first time, but for some reason my apps and accounts are all still there.

I turn airplane mode off thinking it might have something to do with it not being connected to my google account, and I restart it again and everything is still gone. I don't know what to do, has this happened to anyone before? I feel like there should be a way for me to get this stuff back since my apps are still there and my accounts are still synced, but random things are missing like my contacts and messages etc. This is really starting to get annoying, I have insurance and everything, but I really don't want to exchange it for another one because I've read that other people who have had there phones replaced have still had the same rebooting problem, even after going through multiple replacements. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

EDIT: My music wasn't showing up before but now it is, I put it on the internal phone storage, about 6GB worth of music, so I know it didn't just wipe the internal storage.

Advertisement
  2. Kitten Mittens

Kitten Mittens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone?

3. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

What you experienced is NOT the random rebooting problem. The random rebooting problem occurs infrequently and reboots only once at a time. No settings or data are lost.
    Is your phone operating normally now?
    It sounds like you have a problem that some other users reported: Multiple reboots and non-stop reboots. This always means a defective phone. I would return it.

If it's working fine now, you may want to hard reset the phone and start over to be safe. But it may happen again so you should consider returning it. Also, If it's working fine now, you could also just go about restoring your data without a hard reset. By the way, you should by syncing your contacts with google so they won't be lost. Or in the alternative (not recommended) use Verizon's backup assistant built into the phone.

Here are the hard reset instructions:

There are two types of memory on the phone. Phone memory and SDCARD memory.
    When you wipe the phone, it DOES erase your personal data on the Phone memory. You can also FORMAT your SDCARD to erase that data.

Performing a hard/factory reset
    You can return your phone to its original state, as it was when it left the factory. This is also called a hard reset. You might want to do this if you are giving your phone to a friend or relative and you want to remove all your data first, or if your phone has a persistent problem that is not solved by powering off the phone and then powering it on again.
    A factory reset is a drastic measure. It permanently erases all your personal data and customized settings, and also removes any programs you have installed. Make sure that you have backed up the information and files you want to keep.

If your phone hangs or freezes, we recommend that you do a “soft” reset instead of a hard/factory reset. To perform a soft reset, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, and then re-install it. After re-installing the battery, turn on the phone.

Performing a factory reset via settings
    The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.
    Press HOME > MENU, then tap Settings.
    Scroll down the screen, and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.
    On the Factory data reset screen, tap
    Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.

With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.

Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.

Press VOLUME DOWN to select

CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
    When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP.