• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random shut-downs?

Have you had random reboots or shut-downs?

• Never

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Once

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • More than once but not excessive

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Many times

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

offanairplane

Android Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010
TX
My phone is shutting down automatically at least 5 or 6 times per day now. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of a phone call. Other times I'll be messing with an app. Other times, the phone will just be sitting there with the screen off. Other times, it will be plugged into the charger.
Sometimes it will reboot, other times it will stay off.

There is no rhyme or reason to it that I can tell.

I took the phone to the Verizon store yesterday, and the rep told me I needed a task killer because there were like 60 tasks open at once. First off, there aren't even 60 apps on the phone that I know of. Second of all, the T-Bolt should be able to handle this without a task killer. But I tried the task killer anyway, and to much shock and amazement, it made no difference. So I uninstalled it.

Anyone else had random reboots or shut-downs?
If so, can you describe them, please.

I am still well within my 30 day window. And I really like this Thunderbolt and want it to work for me. There is no other phone on the market that I really want right now. And if I can't get this thing working, I am seriously considering going back to a nice dumbphone.

But that is a worst case scenario. I really would prefer getting to the bottom of this problem and getting it resolved.

It seems lots of people are having this problem. But I wanted to know just how many were, compared to how many were not. So I posted this poll.

Thanks!

Firstly, task killers don't even really work with Froyo, so forget that. Second, your phone should not be doing that at all, by them telling you to install a task killer, is as good as customer care telling me to do *228, yes by doing that I fried my sim. Members on here know a heck of a lot more then those working for VZW. What I would try is a Hard Reset, and see if that helps any, it may just be a glitch from when they flashed the phone, who knows. Otherwise if it keeps happening, march right into a corporate store with everything packed up in the box and say your having a lot of random resets even after doing a hard reset. They'll exchange it on the spot and give you a brand new one if your within your 14 day grace period.

Upvote 0
Firstly, task killers don't even really work with Froyo, so forget that. Second, your phone should not be doing that at all, by them telling you to install a task killer, is as good as customer care telling me to do *228, yes by doing that I fried my sim. Members on here know a heck of a lot more then those working for VZW. What I would try is a Hard Reset, and see if that helps any, it may just be a glitch from when they flashed the phone, who knows. Otherwise if it keeps happening, march right into a corporate store with everything packed up in the box and say your having a lot of random resets even after doing a hard reset. They'll exchange it on the spot and give you a brand new one if your within your 14 day grace period.

I agree with all of that.

If I do a hard-reset, will I have to activate the phone again?

Just to see if it was something I installed that might not be playing nicely with Froyo, I uninstalled every app I had installed (26 apps). Before I uninstalled, I cleared all data associated with each app. Then I rebooted to clear any other caches.

We'll see if that makes any difference.
It is only 8:00am here, and it's already randomly rebooted twice this morning. But both times were prior to me uninstalling everything and rebooting. So far it hasn't done it since. But it's only been 20 minutes or so.

If that doesn't fix it, I will probably take it in and get a replacement.
And if the replacement has the same problem, I am not sure what I'll do.

Upvote 0
After you do the reset the only thing you will have to do again is really re put in your Google info, that will grab all your contacts and stuff, and then you'll have to rearrange your screens again to your preference. To hard reset just go into SD and phone storage located in settings, and click Factory data reset. Worth a try, if that doesn't work, off to the store for a new Toy.

Upvote 0
No, it'll fry the sim, and it does something to the phone itself. I believe they just recently disabled it so it won't run on the Thunderbolt.
Question, did u do *228 when you got the phone?

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would tell us that. lol

I honestly don't remember if I did that or not.
But my sim appears to be working. I have been able to connect to 4G without any issues, when I've been in 4G areas.

Upvote 0
After you do the reset the only thing you will have to do again is really re put in your Google info, that will grab all your contacts and stuff, and then you'll have to rearrange your screens again to your preference. To hard reset just go into SD and phone storage located in settings, and click Factory data reset. Worth a try, if that doesn't work, off to the store for a new Toy.

Ok, well I may try that if having uninstalled all my apps doesn't help.

So far it hasn't rebooted since I uninstalled them and manually rebooted.

Sense really does have some nice widgets now. I went straight to Launcherpro+ when I got my Thunderbolt, so I never really browsed the Sense widgets, but they aren't bad at all.

If I can go 24 hours from when I uninstalled everything without a random reboot, I'll start installing my apps again. But the last two apps I install will be LauncherPro+ and Beautiful Widgets. And I might not reinstall them at all, after using Sense for a few days. We shall see.

edit:
It did it again, just now. Time to factory reset.
I'll let you know how that goes.

Upvote 0
Well I have beautiful widgets and it hasn't harmed my TB at all, I've used it on all my android devices. Yes I like sense, previously I ran Launcher Pro on my Fascinate, but that was because the Touch Wiz UI was slow and clunky, sense is silky smooth, HTC does a good job with sense. See how it fares the rest of the day.

Upvote 0
Well I have beautiful widgets and it hasn't harmed my TB at all, I've used it on all my android devices. Yes I like sense, previously I ran Launcher Pro on my Fascinate, but that was because the Touch Wiz UI was slow and clunky, sense is silky smooth, HTC does a good job with sense. See how it fares the rest of the day.

I am back up and running now after the factory reset.
I can't take it into the store until probably tomorrow anyway. So we will see how it does.

The bad thing is it started automatically installing my apps. And I had to uninstall a few. I wanted to try this without installing anything at all. But oh well.

Upvote 0
I am back up and running now after the factory reset.
I can't take it into the store until probably tomorrow anyway. So we will see how it does.

The bad thing is it started automatically installing my apps. And I had to uninstall a few. I wanted to try this without installing anything at all. But oh well.

Yes, like the Droid X it does that, but I think as long as you don't open them there not actually running on the phone, like with beautiful widgets for example, you have to agree to the terms again , and re set up your options. See how it goes, if it starts up again, off to the store for a new one.

Upvote 0
If you're having reboots like that, I'd go for an exchange. If a corporate store is giving you hassle, call CS.

I will call CS the next time it does it.
But so far it hasn't since I did the factory reset. But it's still early.

Right now I am using this bad boy to make calls, on the line I added to get the upgrade discount. lol
Except the one I have looks much rougher than this one.

Seems like it reboots everytime I am in the middle of a call now, so I am not even using it for calls.

Attachments

• sch-a870.jpg
    sch-a870.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
i recommend checking your battery terminals... I had this problem when I had the EVO and it turned out to be a "dirty" battery connection... the little shine job and battery swap fixed the issue for me. This may or may not be the same issue, but it's might be worth eliminating the possibility if it's something simple like this...

Upvote 0
i recommend checking your battery terminals... I had this problem when I had the EVO and it turned out to be a "dirty" battery connection... the little shine job and battery swap fixed the issue for me. This may or may not be the same issue, but it's might be worth eliminating the possibility if it's something simple like this...

I've already done that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
It has happened once since the factory-reset. But that might've been something else. Because it had started automatically downloading my apps, which I didn't want it to do. So I cancelled one download, but I think I cancelled it too late, because I saw it running on the notifications bar. But in the app store it did not show it installed, so I tried to download it again, and that is when the phone rebooted.

But since then I have installed all my previous apps, and it hasn't rebooted.

I am on the phone right now to see if they will send me another anyway.
I just don't want to take any chances.

Well, another difference is that now I am not using LauncherPro+, but the sense widgets instead. I am not sure which I like better, or if LP+ has anything to do with the random reboots.

edit:
They are sending a new one. Should be here Saturday or Monday.

For those interested, the customer service rep I talked to on the phone put me on hold to see if the technical support department wanted me to try any troubleshooting methods. They didn't even ask me to do anything. They said for that problem all they can do is send me a new phone. It didn't take them long to come back with that answer either. So I wonder if this is a hardware problem they are aware of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones