Random Shut OffGeneral

Last Updated:

1. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've had my phone for about 11 months now. I take excellent care of my phone despite never using a case or holder and have never dropped it before. I hadn't had any major problems with my phone until about a month ago, when all of the sudden my phone would start randomly shutting itself off while in my pocket. Not rebooting, just a complete power down. And I'm sure we all know how it takes damn near 5 minutes to turn the damn thing back on. I only just recently discovered that these random power downs are pressure related. Its gotten to the point where even the slightest amount of pressure applied to the phone will cause it to shut off. (Like squeezing it, for example)

I'm not sure why this is happening now all of the sudden (other than to imply that I need to buy a new phone pretty soon), but I'm wondering how common this is and whether this has happened to anybody else. I suppose it could be general wear and tear or aging effects, but then I don't really physically abuse my phone like that.

Advertisement
  2. amargari

amargari Member

I had this happen. Take the battery out, clean everything and put in it back in. Make sure you turn your phone off first.

I think the battery gets loose or dust gets on the contacts.
  3. BlueM00n

BlueM00n New Member

Happens to me all the time, but my battery is fine...I've heard it might be something with the latest update...anyone else experience this and have a solution? Getting sick of this thing rebooting itself.
  4. MRguyandhis2

MRguyandhis2 Well-Known Member

I had this with the 2.3.4 and the last release of 2.3.3 and it happened 3 or 4 times daily but then I downgraded to froyo and went with an earlier release of 2.3.3 rooted and now it has bonly happened twice (rooted for roughly a month)
  5. eschnit81

eschnit81 Well-Known Member

Been happening intermittently to me for the last 3 or four months. I've experimented with different roms so far. Some shut down more than others. Yesterday, however, i noticed if the phone recieves any sort of blunt impact to the bottom (near the trackpad) it will power down. I've gotten to the point where i can easily duplicate the results, so I'm wondering if the battery actually has anything to do with it. I'm more inclined to believe the issue is hardware at this point, based on what I'm seeing. Gonna see if I can't find my stock battery and try that out.