• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random shutdown of Dell Streak

Having an issue with my Dell Streak that I'm hoping to resolve...

About the middle of December my Dell Streak started randomly shutting down. When it shuts down, I hear/feel the vibration as it shuts down, so it appears that it thinks that the battery is dead. Even plugged into the charger it will suddenly buzz and shut down.

Details:
- No software/firmware changes recently - except the usually market automatic updates.
- The phone will show 100% charge and still shut down.
- I have two batteries. This issue is the same regardless of what battery is installed.
- I've charged the batteries while in the phone as well as in a seperate desktop charger/dock.
- I have cleared the battery stats with CM recovery.
- Battery connectors cleaned, back panel contacts checked.
- I can toss the phone around, drop it on my desk, etc, and it does not shut down.
- When the phone shuts down it usually will NOT turn back on right away, even if plugged into the charger.
- It appears to shut down much more often when in my pants pocket. Sitting on the charging dock, or my desk, it can run for many hours. In my pocket it usually shuts down after 5 minutes or so.

At this point I'm considering disassembling the phone and trying to bake it ala iphone wifi fix to reflow the solder connections.

Before I disassemble, I am going to wipe the phone and reflash the firmware... Not sure what version I will try at this point though.

Hello,

I give you my experience with my own dell streak.
I had also a problem of random shutdown when using particularly the GPS.
I opened the streak with the nice tutorial from the fixit website

and simply put a lot of thermal compound (for CPU) on the processor part between the component and the metal box to use it like a heat sink.

up to now, I dont have any random reboot/shutdown.

I hope it can help you. :)

best regards

Upvote 0
Dear kronic1968,

Please Help!!!!

I have dell streak 5 and to remove all previous data i did factory reset by method:
1. Keep pressed volume key up and down and push start button until the the reset factory options cam.
2. By selecting erase all data, press camera button to start.

After that phone starts self restarting after each 10 mins!! What happened is OS is corrupted??
OR advice if you can help me on this

Many Thanks!!

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Dear kronic1968,

Please Help!!!!

I have dell streak 5 and to remove all previous data i did factory reset by method:
1. Keep pressed volume key up and down and push start button until the the reset factory options cam.
2. By selecting erase all data, press camera button to start.

After that phone starts self restarting after each 10 mins!! What happened is OS is corrupted??
OR advice if you can help me on this

Many Thanks!!

Reflash your ROM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones