• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help random shutdowns/reboots..?

Not sufficient to see tower hopping.

Yeah, I agree. Tweaking a new phone to get it to act normally is not acceptable.

Heat at the top says that something on the motherboard is getting overworked. If it's the processor (likely) then the shutdown may be thermal protection to protect your investment.

What rogue process indeed, if your radios are stable, that's the question.

Sounds like your use is straightforward.

What apps have you added or configured beyond that required for Exchange Activesync?

Lookout mobile Security and drop box.. nothing intensive. However i did research last night and in short, i turned off LTE and NFC... might be a coincidence but im getting triple battery life so far..lol. Check it out below, also haven't got a reboot yet. The night previous i was losing power at night while my phone is idle. I will see how it does through out the day but so far i have 92% left and already surpassed what i had yesterday when my phone was almost dead.

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 85
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well for whatever reason, looks like you found the cure. As time permits please give us some updates, hopefully over the next few days.

If this is a stable fix for you, I think we'd like to add it as a general tip for others. :)

PS - When you have some non-critical time, if you're willing, how about switching NFC back on? If interested, please don't try that for several days so you're confident that what you is stable. I think we'd all be very grateful to know if both radios or just the one being shut down is the right target.

Cheers, congrats, and many thanks! :)

(PS to CzechPleez, please chime in, let us know that you've captured this data point if you can, thanks for that. :))

Upvote 0
Well for whatever reason, looks like you found the cure. As time permits please give us some updates, hopefully over the next few days.

If this is a stable fix for you, I think we'd like to add it as a general tip for others. :)

PS - When you have some non-critical time, if you're willing, how about switching NFC back on? If interested, please don't try that for several days so you're confident that what you is stable. I think we'd all be very grateful to know if both radios or just the one being shut down is the right target.

(PS to CzechPleez, please chime in, let us know that you've captured this data point if you can, thanks for that. :))

No prob... if I turn out to be stable i will switch NFC and LTE separate and see the difference if any. Also i will post final power usage later today. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
I have had my phone about 3 weeks and my phone has rebooted about 6 or 7 times each time creating an error message which I send to HTC.
However it only seems to reboot while I am online or downloading an app.
The phone just freezes and then reboots.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

What is the error ? Also when the phone is working, do all other functions work normally? Send/receive text? Make/receive calls? Mine rebooted alot when I had a network error. At the time I could only make calls or send text. I couldnt receive anything and it rebooted alot looking for the network. Mine was error 97.

Upvote 0
I have had my phone about 3 weeks and my phone has rebooted about 6 or 7 times each time creating an error message which I send to HTC.
However it only seems to reboot while I am online or downloading an app.
The phone just freezes and then reboots.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Im not sure its the same, but my phone would just shut off. Would not power back on unless i pushed power button. In short ever since i turned off LTE and NFC chip my battery life has tripled and so far no more shutdowns. But your issue sounds more like a software perhaps.

Upvote 0
wow...interesting. I am rooted and things are running much better, but I dont think I will use NFC much so far, so I disabled it to see how it goes.

Im not rooted.. might do it later. But im going to test by turning on NFC and LTE... separate and together and see if that caused my poor battery life and random shutdowns

Reactions: i.have.droid
Upvote 0
What is the error ? Also when the phone is working, do all other functions work normally? Send/receive text? Make/receive calls? Mine rebooted alot when I had a network error. At the time I could only make calls or send text. I couldnt receive anything and it rebooted alot looking for the network. Mine was error 97.

When the phone is working everything works great.There was one occasion where someone had called but the phone never rang, no missed call log and no voice mail, even though the person said they left a message.
About a week later I actually received the voice mail notification and message.

Upvote 0
Im not sure its the same, but my phone would just shut off. Would not power back on unless i pushed power button. In short ever since i turned off LTE and NFC chip my battery life has tripled and so far no more shutdowns. But your issue sounds more like a software perhaps.

The phone has not shut off, its always reboots, creates the error log, which I then send to HTC

Upvote 0
I had another random shutdown last night but I'm really starting to lean towards it's the case (Best Buy Platinum/Seido). It has a milled out area in the clasp for the power button but wondering if it's too tight/small. I had gotten my phone out/put it back in the holster probably 15 minutes before I pulled it back out and found it turned off. Along these lines sometimes when I pull it out of the holster the screen is on and I think it's because the clasp is hitting the power button and turning it on. Wondering if I can shave the button down or dremel out the milled out area a little bigger to resolve. Hate having to modify the case, wonder if Seido will have a version 2.0 coming out?

I also haven't had any Sense shutdown since turning off fastboot. My battery life is outstanding, going over 24 hours is no issue at all and that includes using the hotspot to tether the laptop/tablet.

Upvote 0
I had another random shutdown last night but I'm really starting to lean towards it's the case (Best Buy Platinum/Seido). It has a milled out area in the clasp for the power button but wondering if it's too tight/small. I had gotten my phone out/put it back in the holster probably 15 minutes before I pulled it back out and found it turned off. Along these lines sometimes when I pull it out of the holster the screen is on and I think it's because the clasp is hitting the power button and turning it on. Wondering if I can shave the button down or dremel out the milled out area a little bigger to resolve. Hate having to modify the case, wonder if Seido will have a version 2.0 coming out?

I also haven't had any Sense shutdown since turning off fastboot. My battery life is outstanding, going over 24 hours is no issue at all and that includes using the hotspot to tether the laptop/tablet.

Also... i turned off FASTBOOT too.. i forgot about that. That could have helped me as well.

Upvote 0

I did some testing and here is what i found so far:

The CDMA/LTE automatically turns back up ... perhaps after reboot. However i can remove that from my issues because it was on for 2 days with no shutdowns or battery drain ( still on and getting 1day + with LTE on) I turned the NFC on for a day and my findings there were inconclusive. Its possible the issues i was having resolved itself after a few days of syncing up with the network.

Upvote 0

The CDMA/LTE automatically turns back up ... perhaps after reboot. However i can remove that from my issues because it was on for 2 days with no shutdowns or battery drain ( still on and getting 1day + with LTE on) I turned the NFC on for a day and my findings there were inconclusive. Its possible the issues i was having resolved itself after a few days of syncing up with the network.

Appreciate the follow-up. :)

Whatever perniciousness was stuck before, I am glad it's cleared up.

And it sounds like fast boot is an issue. I never thought of that, I kept mine off.

Upvote 0

Just to be sure here, The CDMA/LTE and CDMA Only option should persist and not change throughout a reboot or full power down. It should only change when you direct it to.

Maybe Lookout or some other silly application is backing up your mobile network settings for you and resetting it upon restart? :thinking:

Upvote 0
The phone has not shut off, its always reboots, creates the error log, which I then send to HTC

I am having the exact same problem (since day 1) as dlocks. My phone only reboots when I am at home with the wifi on. I cannot reproduce anywhere else. I do not get an error code, but it generates a huge error log that gets sent to HTC. Of course, the Sprint store won't do anything about it. They said contact HTC.

So, after pouring through the error log I found some error references. I took screen caps, but heres a bit of what it says:

wcnss_8960: crash shutdown : 0
modem_queue_start_reset_notify
Rebooting in 5 seconds..
Going down for restart now
arch reset: mode 104
set_modem_efs_sync: wait for modem efs_sync
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual adress 80c448b0
pgd = c0004000
[80c44b0\ *pgd=0000000
internal error: Oops: 5[#2] PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in: prima_wlan(P)
CPU: 0 Tainted: P D W
(3.0.8_01360-g3fd0422 #1)
PC is at_kmalloc_track_caller+0x10c/0x22c
LR is at should_fail+0xbc/0x158

I did a factory reset yesterday, and I still have the problem. I've been waiting to root/ROM until I get this cleared up, but do you think a custom kernel/ROM might eliminate this problem?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones