Random sound death

Last Updated:

1. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The sound on my Eris stops working periodically. The trigger is always phone related. Triggers:

Screen comes on during a call
    After a received call is finished

Once this happens, I can't hear anything, and supposedly the person on the other end can't hear me. No media sounds work either. I have to reset my phone.

Advertisement
  2. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Sounds (no pun intended) like you have the infamous "sound bug". Devs and everybody else have been trying to find a solution to no avail. Most just call Verizon and ask for a replacement.

Just to go through the motions...Verizon will ask you to do a factory reset. Do you get the no sound issue even with factory reset and no apps installed? If yes, call and tell them that you have done these steps and they will send you a replacement.

lewa likes this.
  3. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hm. Is this caused by rooting? Or just older models?
    So, if I do end up getting a replacement, if I root n' stuff again will I have the same problem?

4. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Nobody knows for sure what causes this, but it was not present in 1.5. The consensus seems to be that there is some type of hardware bug that was awoken with the 2.1 upgrade. People either have it or they don't. There are triggers that people have found within their setup, but there is no known pattern that makes this repeatable for everyone. It continues no matter which 2.1 ROM you use or if you are on the official.

When you get a replacement, there is no way to know for sure that the phone has the bug or not until you upgrade it (or root) and check it out. I have had no problems with my replacement.