Random Texting ProblemSupport

Last Updated:

1. djstr0be

djstr0be Member This Topic's Starter

Whats up everybody i got the Moment recently and noticed something kind of annoying..I text my girlfriend alot and if she sends me a text and i reply i get "Message sent using invalid number of digits.Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code. Msg 2114..I have her number stored in my phone using the full 10 digits and i can create a new message to her and it will send with no problem..Its only when I try to reply to a message she sent me..I noticed that when she replys her area code is removed from the top(probably because we have the same area code?)Anybody ever seen this?

Advertisement
  2. Moment

Moment Well-Known Member

Try taking her out of your contacts and adding her again. Is it just her who you have had this problem with, or multiple people?

3. kdub83

kdub83 New Member

I have this same problem as well. It only happens when I try to respond to a text from one person (my wife of course). I deleted her as a contact and re-entered all of her info but it still happens. I've found if I keep her thread open, and I receive a text from her the area code is present and I can easily reply back. However, if I am doing something else in the phone and open her text message, the area code is gone. Then I must hit view contact, text mobile, then the thread has the area code and I can reply. Pain in the a$$ for sure! If anyone has a fix I would be eternally grateful.

4. djstr0be

Hey sorry I have been giving it a few days to see if the problem went away but it hasn't. It doesn't just happen with my girlfriend it happens to everybody. I have deleted her contact twice but it doesn't seem to be a problem with my phone. It seems that the network is receiving her number without an area code because we have the same area code.When i reply to the text its replying as ###-#### not ###-###-#### like it's supposed to. Its so weird but I have unfortunately gotten used to just creating a new message every time I need to reply after receiving a text from her.

5. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

Have you tried an alternative sms app to text like Hancent or Chomp SMS and see if it does that same thing? If you havent check out 1 of those apps and see if that helps.

6. djstr0be

I didnt even think of that. Im gonna try now :)

7. jdmlong

jdmlong New Member

I've got a Samsung Moment with the exact same issue, tried the same things. Just my Mom's number, which is a Sprint number. It's weird how common this problem seems to be, yet forum after forum offer no ideas beyond resets and making sure one is entering 10 digits.

8. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

I would agree with njbianco...i have always used hancent and never had any such problem (this being the case i haven't used the stock mms at all). My guess is a bug in the stock mms app that is appending the reply number from these contacts, a bug which apparently doesn't plague the better 3rd party apps.

9. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member

Make sure you put a 1 in front of the 10 digits...
    1-555-123-4567