• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Randomizer not random?

I have used Apollo and Poweramp and it feels like these apps don't play music randomly but instead play the same songs over again. Why do I hear one song 3 times when I hear others NEVER.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with these particular music players. I personally use Rocket Player. The shuffle feature in Rocket Player seems to shuffle my playlist and play all the songs once.

From a mathematical point of view, there is a difference between "random" and "shuffled". The difference is subtle and is more noticeable with a smaller list than a larger list.

Suppose you have a list from 1-6. Now you roll a 6-sided die to randomly pick an item from the list. If you roll the die 6 times, you will likely roll the same number multiple times and not roll one or more of the other numbers. There is a small chance of rolling the die 6 times without duplicates, but it is small. If your music player uses this method of randomising the list of songs, then you will likely hear the same song mulitple times before you hear every song.

Now instead, take six 6 cards: Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (Ace representing 1). Shuffle the cards and then draw the cards one at a time. When you draw all six cards, you will never draw the same card twice and will draw each card at least once. If your music player uses this method of shuffling the songs, you will hear each song on the list once.

I have heard people complain that some music players playing the same song multiple time when mixing a play list. I don't recall which player it was as it was quite a while ago. It seems that the player you are using is not shuffling the list, but just randomly picking a song independent of what song was played last. It is possible that your music player does this or the particular setting you use does this.

See if your music player has an option to "shuffle" the playlist and select that if it is there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones