Randomly Turning Off?Support

1. chrisblower

chrisblower New Member

Think I may have inadvertently solved this problem; my phone was doing this up to 4 times a day. I uninstalled an app called Easy Birthday Reminder and it has not turned off for 3 days straight. This is with Wifi sleep set to Never and using Y5 Battery Saver.
  2. praky

praky Well-Known Member

In regards to my previous problem, So far using USB tethering with screen timeout set to never. Still testing but no SOD yet.
  3. praky

praky Well-Known Member

ok , this is interesting.
    I was using usb tethering with screen timeout set to never to avoid any sod.
    but my phone still hung up EVEN with the screen on.

This definitely proves 2 things-
    1. this is not a wifi issue.
    2. phone is indeed in ON State.

Are there any users on this forum who never had this issue and their ace has been problem free? Please reply ASAP.
    In that case I will try to get a replacement. It has been 7 days since I have bought this phone.

Is there any way I can get my money back? :-D
  4. lj0000

lj0000 New Member

I am helping my friend who has this problem.
    without thinking much, i upgraded the firmware to KC1 (still 2.2.1) and been grilling the phone to the max for the past 24 hours.

also tried the wifi on/off sleep etc but not able to trigger the symptom

so far so good. no reboots, no hangs, only grouse is laggy angry bird.
  5. ral

ral Well-Known Member

We have had the new unit now for 48 hours. Firmware version is KC1 and WiFi is set to Sleep Policy is set to "When Screen Turns Off." WiFi has been kept running for 48 hours, whether or not there is a WiFi signal in the area. I used both the power button and home button to wake the phone and there has been no recurrence of the dreaded "Sleep of Death."

Best advice I can give is if your phone suffers from the problem of being unable to wake from sleep mode, have the unit replaced since the problem does not affect all Samsung Galaxy Ace units and is not a Google Android problem.

Thanks for all the help.
  6. praky

praky Well-Known Member

I checked and found I am running KA7 and KC1 seems to be the latest version. So I fired up kies and tried to upgrade the firmware but it doesnt show that KC1 is available and it dosen't say i am running the latest firmware either.
    it simply says- i cannot upgade the firmware.
    I live in India.
    Can Indian user here confirm that he/she has upgraded to KC1 successfully?

Also is there any user who has KC1 and is still having the SOD problem?
  7. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Both of the phone I got were running KC1. One had five SOD's in four days. The other one has been running for 60+ hours on WiFi without incident.

It is really a hardware defect on some units IMHO.
  8. sajidtp

sajidtp New Member

Update:
    Quote in store technitian: "never heard of SOD". He offerered to reset phone to factory settings and come back after two days (Fri & Sat off here) if SOD and battery drain persists. Accepted that.

Both problems continued. Today I had second SOD in 8 hours. Taking it back to store today. Wish me good luck.:mad:
  9. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Good luck... get it replaced.
  10. chrisblower

chrisblower New Member

It's back! Turned off twice overnight so it wasn't that app :( Software update needed now then.
  11. TotoyKamote

TotoyKamote Member

UPDATE:

Still used LoadMonitor but eats my processing power and battery life. There are times that I just turn OFF wifi and ON if just needed but really needs active monitoring of the galaxy ACE.

On continuing experimentation I have tried this recently:

WI-FI KEEP ALIVE application
    Set to "always ON'
    Advanced Options "Enable Workaround 2"
    Advanced Options "Enable Debug Logs"

You can read the help in advanced options to see description of other workaround methods.

So far so good in this APP and no symptoms for more than 24H. Will update if necessary....
  12. Juviene

Juviene Member

Hello. I am from India too. i got my phone updated from the Samsung Service Center, but that didn't solve the problem. I have been in that godforsaken Service Center a lot of times,now I have given up and finally requested for a replacement or a refund,because I cannot deal with this problem anymore. They said it might take a couple of weeks. I hope things work out, otherwise I am torn with a defective phone. Also, should have gone for HTC. This one's the last thing I bought from Samsung. Good luck with the problem. I will advice you to get it replaced,or better,get a refund. Cheers!
  13. ral

ral Well-Known Member

I do not know gents. Ever since getting the phone replaced it has been running for 85 hours and 32 minutes without a SOD. No need to adjust settings. I think there are some bad batches out there... and if you got one, you really should get it replaced.
  14. aish_varya

aish_varya Well-Known Member

Its a software problem for sure!

I upgraded my android version.. to a 2.3.4 from a leaked rom...... i haven't faced any problem since 15-20 days (and ofcourse my WIFI is all time on) :)
  15. qwerty?

qwerty? New Member

Had this problem on my first Ace, I got it replaced from a new batch, both are version 2.2.1 and the problem persists. When is the official 2.3.4 coming out?
  16. praky

praky Well-Known Member

@aish_varya:well many people on 2.3.4 have had this issue.

@juviene: how old is your ace? and what was the response of samsung guy on money back? i dont think its possible.
  17. Juviene

Juviene Member

I bought this phone about a month back, but I have had this problem since day one. Samsung's response to a refund is positive, only if the replaced device doesn't work out. The Service Center said they would be replacing my phone with a brand new Galaxy Ace at the end of this week, and if the problem persists,I can get a refund.
  18. ral

ral Well-Known Member

@Juviene

The new phone should work out. Don't give up on Sammy. The Ace I got is at over 100 hours now, no problems.... WiFi set to sleep when screen turns off and all.

19. aish_varya

aish_varya Well-Known Member

its a software problem not hardware problem, so no sense replacing.
  20. praky

praky Well-Known Member

@aish_varya: please maintain feedback about this.

can anyone else confirm this?

@juviene: should I go to the shop where I bought the phone or a service center?
    from where did you buy your phone?

i am asking because there is difference in between the value written on the bill and the amount I paid for ace.
  21. Juviene

Juviene Member

Hey Ral, thanks for the support. I really hope it does. I cant imagine dragging my ass to the Service Center which is an hour away from where I stay. Anyways,happy to hear that it worked out for you. Cheers!
  22. ral

ral Well-Known Member

@aish_varya

If it was a software problem than why did the replacement of my phone fix things. When I encountered the problem, I checked out local forum where there is also a SGA users thread, and only one person reported the problem. Than I found this thread with a series of "fixes" which I tried for four days.

Given the few number of persons complaining about SOD's in the thread... it is pretty clear that only a small number of phones are affected. A software issue would be across the line.
  23. Juviene

Juviene Member

You need to go to the Service Center for this, if its past four days after purchase, I don't think they will replace the set straight away, cuz its not in their policy. So they will want to test the device and look for ways to fix it. And you have to play along with that. When the problem occurs again, and believe me it will, you have to request them to reach out to the higher authorities and get your handset replaced. When your request's approved, you can take home the brand new Samsung. And don't forget to take a copy of the purchase bill. They will ask for it.
  24. praky

praky Well-Known Member

@juviene: thanks a lot mate. just 1 last question.

my ace is 2 weeks old now. so i guess i dont need to go straight away as i am not in my home city. will go this monday.
    Also do i need the original 2 gb card, which i got with the phone?
    i don't have it as i got it replaced with an 8 gb card at the time of purchase.
  25. Juviene

Juviene Member

Anytime! :D
    No,you don't need to go straight away. In fact, I myself went a month after the purchase, cuz I had exams..
    No, you don't need the original memory card. They usually return the sim card and the memory card to you, before taking the phone in, for testing and stuff. But don't forget to mention that this problem's been bothering you from the beginning. Also, things will be a lot easier if you could take the phone in the SOD state to them. They tend to take it much more seriously that way.
    praky likes this.