1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

[RANT] Are any of you disappointed with the Galaxy S4?General

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I'll take superb battery life over a paper thin phone any day of the week...

However I'm always near power, so charging isn't an issue for me.
    Got a Car Charger, a House Charger, and a Charger in my office...I've never swapped a battery out with any of my phones that had a removable batter anyway.
  2. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Yea but you said it yourself....Apple made a huge bump from the 4 to the 5! Your forgetting one thing my man>>>The 4S! Apple did the same thing Samsung did here, I'm not a fan of what either did! However were talking about the 2 biggest players in the smart phone game...lol, they can kind of do what they want and people will still run out and buy, although Samsung is not in Apple territory yet, but from the looks of things... They're getting there!

And what Apple did with the 4 to the 4S is what Sammy did here, they're basically releasing an SGS but calling it an S4. Hey it is what it is, in the grand scheme of things Samsung will still likely sell more android phones then anyone else in 2013!
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

That may be a regional thing because none of the S3s I've seen, and that's quite a few as I sell the things, have displayed a colour cast. I'd also never call the S3 display "crappy", but maybe the UK/European models have a different screen.

I'm not sure where you're coming from here; most of the features touted on Thursday night looked pretty unique to me.

They changed the screen ratio to 16:9 and slimmed it down a couple of millimetres.... hardly a major shift in design paradigm. It's still instantly recognisable as an iPhone, just as the S4 is instantly recognisable as a Samsung Galaxy.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Very interesting - they must be doing something different here.

I've seen at least 10 SGS3 models here, definitely blue, not subtle. But either Note - no problem.
  5. Scootmien

Scootmien Well-Known Member Contributor

Got to agree with you on this. I would prefer the phone to be slightly deeper and have a bigger battery to avoid having to replace or recharge during a day.

Unlike you, quite often I am out at work and I don't have access to a charger so I tend to carry a power pack with me to charge both my phones up if needs be. Fortunately, only on days with really heavy use is this an issue.
  6. Carldvs

Carldvs Well-Known Member

Hugely dissappointed, I almost feel like I did when my iPhone 4was upgraded to 4S. What an embaressment by Samsung. I'm looking on her for the HTC One thread but cant find it, but Ill be getting that. Design and innovation, which I used to respect Samsung for, but now think they are no more than Apple.
  7. EarlyMon

If you'd prefer to discuss the One, please visit http://androidforums.com/htc-one/

Cheers! :)
  8. How can you call Samsung "no more than Apple" when Samsung kept removable battery and SD card slot and HTC removed both of these features and went with a "style over functionality" philosophy?

So which companies is more like Apple?
    ljbad4life likes this.
  9. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Well-Known Member

If I had the S3, I'd probably have no desire to get the S4. I still have the S1 so, it's quite the upgrade. I'll admit I was expecting something a bit more revolutionary though.

My only reservation now is losing the physical keyboard of the S1, but it's probably inevitable.
  10. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Wow...S1!!!

Your going to love the S4...That I can promise you;)

And believe me it's going to feel very revolutionary the 1st time you lay eyes on that screen....
  11. Shotgunx1x

Shotgunx1x Well-Known Member

Just don't understand all the hate towards the GS4. To me the S4 is the superior phone when compared to the HTC One, and coming from an iPhone 4s I couldn't be more excited. This is going to be an amazing phone which I will be using for a very long time. Maybe im missing something, and if so please feel free to fill me in.
  12. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Well-Known Member

I have an SGS3 and I will be buying an SGS4. The analogy of the Sgs3 and the SGS4 to the upgrade from the Iphone 4 to the 4s is completely WRONG.

First the screen size is different between the SGS3 to the SGS4

Second Samsung was able to fit a larger screen in the same dimensions (except S4 is thinner!)because they cut down on the bezel with a near edge to edge screen width wise.

Third The PPI and screen are different on the S4 than the S3 (S4 is using the green amoled tech)

So the appropriate analogy would be the the comparison of the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 5. Get it together people!
  13. EarlyMon

I think that it would be more together to never compare any Android model upgrades to any iPhones, but that's just my opinion. ;)
    El Presidente and Slug like this.
  14. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

The S3 got this much more grief when it first arrived. Especially since it never arrived with 1080p non pentile screen or an A15 processor. Now they've turned up with a quad A15 AND A7 processors, 1080p screen and more software than you'll ever really need and yet we still complain. Maybe our expectations are too high?
    EarlyMon likes this.
  15. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I agree. Particularly since with the release of the iphone 5 apple put themselves outside the tech race. That phone didn't even catch up with the S3 specs wise, and so every one of the subsequent slew of android releases that surpassed the S3 technically has left the iphone standing in the water.
  16. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

I thought the iPhone 5 caught up with the competition? I know it only had a dual core but them cores were pretty damn powerful and the GPU left the S3 and most other devices in the shade. Most of its other hardware features like the camera sensor and speakers were high quality too.
  17. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

It did, they were custom CPU cores which performed really well and the SGX543MP3 GPU was way ahead of anything Android offered at the time.

The iPhone 5 is a great device, software is the problem there, not hardware.

S4's Adreno 320 (Nexus 4, HTC One etc) has pretty much matched it though, Samsung Exynos 5 Dual with Mali T604 in the Nexus 10 is also very good.

Exynos 5 Quad with SGX544MP3 should easily beat everything but the the new iPad, unless Samsung mess up the software.
  18. nigsy

nigsy Well-Known Member

jeez....don't you guys get sarcasm?
  19. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

I said this when the iPhone 5 first came out, it was like sticking a Ferrari engine in a Robin Reliant.

The hardware rocked but was limited by iOS.
  20. I am sorry, but which aspect of Iphone's hardware rocked??
  21. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

To me it didn't rock , I think the iPhone 5 is made like garbage and that when Steve Jobs died he took the ideas of Apple with him. The iPhone is basically the easiest phone on earth to scratch or dent...its like a tin can, and Apples process to get the metal black to look anodized was probably to just paint the frame and let it air dry instead of baking the color into the metal...lol, who knows what goes on at foxxcom!

Now back to the dance...
  22. Androidcurious

Androidcurious Well-Known Member

I think those of you who are underwhelmed are kind of missing context for all this. Of course you're disappointed, you're tech people who follow this stuff obsessively. Year over year, you're just *not* going to see the huge leaps you want. You sound like Apple fans (I don't mean that as an insult, btw. I have owned/do own many Apple products). A great many of them complain each year when Apple releases an incremental upgrade over the previous year's model.

I think the problem is the initial "wow factor" of these phones has been lost to us forever. We're too inundated with information, guessing, wish lists that we project on to manufacturers. There will still be occasional killer apps or features but getting excited over a specific phone isn't going to happen.

Look at the HTC One. When it was first announced and demonstrated, I thought it was the hottest thing I'd ever seen. I was pretty excited about the notion of owning it. But then more details trickled out. No removable battery, no storage expansion. Will HTC muck up multitasking again like they did on the One X? Blinkfeed looked interesting initially, now I can imagine it just being annoying (I'm aware you can shove it over to another screen, but still).

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the S4. Most of this stuff is personal preference (which would be another point). No, I don't like Samsung's materials either. Yup, it looks like an S3, or just a slightly redesigned Note 2. I just think the insistence that these phones are underwhelming is more due to our own projections rather than these companies shortfalls.
  23. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

Man, I don't ever remember that- I saw the S3 and was like- damn, now Android is playing in the big leagues- they now have a winner!

And I still think that.

I wouldn't worry about the press and everybody hating the S4. It happens with the iPhone every year and yet it still sells well. Same thing with the S3. The phone gets hyped up and then the fanboys run with it- 5" 6D holographic 1080P flexible display, 1/2 as thin, with a 50,000mAh battery, 2.5thz deca-core processor, 500GB memory, 24.5MP camera that is superior to any DSLR, and so on. Then the product launch brings them back down to reality and everybody whines. We all do it.
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  24. ericbeon

ericbeon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which to get the HTC one or the Galaxy S4... They both have pros and cons... Ill make it easy on myself and get both ...lol
    EarlyMon and Rxpert83 like this.
  25. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

A superior GPU, superior camera, superior speakers and a processor that matched pretty much everything out there whilst having half the cores.

Maybe rocked was the wrong word but either way they didn't do a bad job.