• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant on GNex Radios!

GalaxyNexus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Bikini Bottom
I'm going to make this kind've brief and to the point:

So I have LTE extended coverage in my area and I get about 1 bar of 3G at my house. It wasn't that big of a deal until my sister purchased an unlocked Razr MAXX to replace her HTC Incredible. So my sister powers on her Razr and pops in the sim card. I look in the top right hand corner and see 3 bars of 4G!?!! :mad: WTH? I immediately sign her in on Google Play and download the Speed Test app. I do a speed test and she gets 8 down and 6 up compared to my 1 down and .5 up.

I never really noticed any serious difference between the GNex radios to any other phone because I didn't have anything to compare it to. Now I'm wondering, is everybody's Nexus this bad? Should I get a replacement one?

If I was able to give it to Verizon and trade for a Razr Maxx I would definitely do it.

think Motorola has always had outstanding radios. but anyway, this issue has been with us since the start. Samsung claims they have found the issue and is working on a patch within the next month.

have you tried flashing the new leaked radios? Idk if your rooted or not, but i flashed them a few days ago and have noticed significant signal increase and more 4G. The first day i flashed them, my phone would not drop the 4G at all and stayed between 2-3 bars, but just recently updated my ROM, now im finding less 4G in my house. Give it a shot, if not, wait around till the next OTA drops and we'll see if they finally fix it.

I've learned that i love nexus phones, but they deserve much better treatment than what Verizon is giving them... once my contract is up, or whenever i save up a bit of money, im dumping Verizon and getting the next unlocked nexus phone on straight talk.

Upvote 0
I'm going to make this kind've brief and to the point:

So I have LTE extended coverage in my area and I get about 1 bar of 3G at my house. It wasn't that big of a deal until my sister purchased an unlocked Razr MAXX to replace her HTC Incredible. So my sister powers on her Razr and pops in the sim card. I look in the top right hand corner and see 3 bars of 4G!?!! :mad: WTH? I immediately sign her in on Google Play and download the Speed Test app. I do a speed test and she gets 8 down and 6 up compared to my 1 down and .5 up.

I never really noticed any serious difference between the GNex radios to any other phone because I didn't have anything to compare it to. Now I'm wondering, is everybody's Nexus this bad? Should I get a replacement one?

If I was able to give it to Verizon and trade for a Razr Maxx I would definitely do it.

You have been around long enough to know this is normal for this phone. There are plenty of threads with people complaining about the signal issues this phone has.

Upvote 0
@ the OP ...

I left Vzw a long time ago, maybe around March or so! They refused to acknowledge the fact that my LTE Vzw Gnex is basically a horror show when it comes to data connectivity from the radios within. I was getting basically no service what so ever in my house, and this after years of fantastic service and the quickest data speeds. Either way, I'd recommend against the LTE version on any given day.

Upvote 0
You have been around long enough to know this is normal for this phone. There are plenty of threads with people complaining about the signal issues this phone has.

I agree, and acknowledge the fact that I've been around long enough to know there have been data issues. I just had no idea how bad they were.

Has any one been able to trade their GNex for a Razr MAXX?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yup, used the Android Signal app and saw a significant dBm difference between my gnex and the maxx. And new radio software won't help; it is a hardware issue.

I don't believe this after the new radios that were released withing the past week. My phone and my wife's have increased connectivity and speed. My phone is a replacement as my original constantly dropped all signal.

Upvote 0
Try talking to the undead. ;)
http://androidforums.com/device-car...50-galaxy-nexus-vs-razr-maxx.html#post4578864
Not sure at this point, you may want to wait for Moto's announcement of the Razr HD.

I agree.... I tried that with vzw when I was getting ready to cancel and they were trying to pawn off an original Razr to me....I was like listen, my dad has a maxx and it gets much better service then my Gnex does, and I'm using the Gnex for the fact of I gave up the original Razr because of the non removable battery. Long story short they waived my $350 cancellation fee and let me go instead of just shipping me out a brand new Razr maxx ...Were not exactly dealing with rocket scientists at vzw these days.

However on at&t now, and couldn't be happier. Patiently waiting for the next Nexus...hopefully available on at&ts LTE bands..

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
The signal booster doesn't help with 3G/4G data speeds.

It'll give you 3G connectivity, but you lose a bunch of speed by dropping through the Network Extender, versus using your own WiFi for your data speed (not counting texts/mms). However, last I checked, there wasn't a 4G Network Extender yet. Then again, if you're far enough out that you need a network extender, chances are your internet speeds from your ISP wouldn't support the kind of speed you would expect from 4G anyway. Can't provide a faster speed than your isp can push you. (I get 3M at my house. If I use the Network Extender, I speed test about 800K a lot of times. I just use my WiFi instead)

As for the OP...Hard to say for sure, but I'd say maybe have them send you a replacement, see how IT sees the signal before switching devices. That way, if it doesn't get any better, you won't have to completely reset up a new phone. I don't think there should be THAT much difference between yours and hers though. Somewhat? sure. Part of me though, says something is wrong.

Upvote 0
Well in many ways its moot point, because odds are if you have a network extender, you have broadband internet. In which case, you (should) have a wireless router at home, which is faster than 3G anyway. ;)

Its really only beneficial for voice.

this is my exact scenario. I was able to get a free Extender from VZW. I use wifi for data at home so i didn't care that the Extender only helped with voice. It was frustrating not being able to make calls. Heads up though. ...not all routers support the Network Extender. VZW even offered to let me cancel my contract with no ETF. However the truth is i really don't want to leave VZW. Their coverage overall is top notch in most of the places i'm at, Turd Mobile and AT&T all get bad coverage at my home. So it would have been a wrong move for me to cancel and go with another provider.

Upvote 0
I agree, and acknowledge the fact that I've been around long enough to know there have been data issues. I just had no idea how bad they were.

Has any one been able to trade their GNex for a Razr MAXX?

My issues with the GNex have been well documented (aren't you guys glad I haven't been in here whining anymore? :) )

I've also shared my horror story with VZW customer support over my issues. I used to love VZW support but not anymore! I tried to get a Maxx for my GNex (after 3 exchanges) and was refused. I was offered a regular RAZR. They really believe the Maxx is on an entirely different level than the GNex. I have to admit operationally they may be correct.

Others here have been able to get a Maxx swap. That's what really made me mad...the inconsistent customer service practices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones