• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

What is EE and how does DeviantArt lead to advancement?
EE is the UKs biggest 4G network. And it's not just that. There are way too many restrictions IRL. And contradictory laws.
It seems we are basically told what optional lessons we can and can't take in school, what courses we can and can't do. What colleges and universities we can and can't join. What jobs we can and can't have. The list goes on

Upvote 0
Verb tenses are grinding my gears today.

DeviantArt can contain some mature type materials. Many of the UK's mobile ISPs do block sites, adult, gambling, etc. Even the UK National Lottery site is blocked. Carriers such as EE and Vodafone will allow full access, but you have to prove you're over 18. Basically you go into their stores, show them proof of age, and they should remove the filter for you.

FWIW I was using pre-paid Lebara during the summer, bought the SIM, and it was full access, didn't have to prove my age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Verb tenses are grinding my gears today.

DeviantArt can contain some mature type materials. Most of the UK's mobile ISPs do block sties, adult, gambling, etc. Even the UK National Lottery site is blocked. Carriers such as EE and Vodafone will allow full access, but you have to prove you're over 18.
It's just that I don't know many ISPs that block it. My high school didn't block it and my college doesn't block it. I don't think it was blocked on Three mobile

Upvote 0
I'm beyond sick of hearing about "deflate-gate". I hate the Patriots as much as anybody, and they probably did it on purpose, but the constant coverage is ridiculous. CNN talked about it for literally a half hour straight the other day. They even brought a physicist on to explain how the temperature change could have lowered the air pressure. Really? Nothing else going on in the world?

Upvote 0
I'm beyond sick of hearing about "deflate-gate". I hate the Patriots as much as anybody, and they probably did it on purpose, but the constant coverage is ridiculous. CNN talked about it for literally a half hour straight the other day. They even brought a physicist on to explain how the temperature change could have lowered the air pressure. Really? Nothing else going on in the world?
I grew up in Massachusetts, and though I am a Pats fan - I also like the Broncos, and the Jets (since the days of 'Broadway Joe' Namath).

The game officials (referees, etc.), should've been more aware of what was going on, if the balls were not inflated correctly.

How can an entire game be played, and won - without any knowledge about the balls used in that game? Worse, is the news cycle so uncluttered that the under-inflated ball story appears to be the only one that has legs?

Seriously, folks. LW

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
I grew up in Massachusetts, and though I am a Pats fan - I also like the Broncos, and the Jets (since the days of 'Broadway Joe' Namath).

The game officials (referees, etc.), should've been more aware of what was going on, if the balls were not inflated correctly.

How can an entire game be played, and won - without any knowledge about the balls used in that game? Worse, is the news cycle so uncluttered that the under-inflated ball story appears to be the only one that has legs?

Seriously, folks. LW
Don't worry LW, there is a snowstorm coming, so now all the media will be standing on the sides of highways with yardsticks or in front of piles of salt and repeatedly saying "Look at the snow, stay off the roads, stock up on milk and bread, blah, blah, blah.":rolleyes:

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Don't worry LW, there is a snowstorm coming, so now all the media will be standing on the sides of highways with yardsticks or in front of piles of salt and repeatedly saying "Look at the snow, stay off the roads, stock up on milk and bread, blah, blah, blah.":rolleyes:
It's worse in England. A tiny bit of snow and the it seems the country comes to a standstill

Upvote 0
It's a sad state of affairs when media sources that you trust adopt the same type of practices that magazines like The Enquirer, or worse, The Globe - perform every day.

I'm a firm believer in Freedom Of Speech, and Freedom Of The Press - but, when the media sources base their coverage on ratings, then, the end user becomes inundated with repeated news cycles that become 'garbage-speak' very quickly.

Another day in the life of a 'free' nation. It's like when a news firm calls their coverage "fair and balanced", and you know that you're in for a ride that bears no similarities to their 'catchphrase'.

Such bull@#*!... LW

Upvote 0
We are getting between 24-30 inches (~60-75 cm) with snowfall rates of 2-4 inches (~5-10 cm) an hour. It's the second number that will cause a real mess.:eek:
It sounds like Masshole weather... I grew up in it, and during this time of year, it's to be expected - whether it's a Nor'Easter, or, "The Alberta Clipper".

When I was a kid, they called it "The Montreal Express". I miss the area where I grew up, bad weather or no. I'm moving to Colorado soon, so, I'll get my four seasons back - LW

Upvote 0
It's worse in England. A tiny bit of snow and the it seems the country comes to a standstill
To my acquaintance 'over the pond': where I live in the Southern USA, if it decides to snow - we're screwed, as they don't have the necessary equipment to clear roads, aside from salt sprays, and hope.

My daughter, 22, is an artist - even though DeviantArt has some questionable content, I never forbade her from visiting, and using the website. That was almost a decade ago.

It's the freaks, and the miscreants that slowly erode our human rights. Keep up with your art muses, WolfieBoy - and, good luck to you. LW

Upvote 0
We are getting between 24-30 inches (~60-75 cm) with snowfall rates of 2-4 inches (~5-10 cm) an hour. It's the second number that will cause a real mess.:eek:
I'm currently fleeing this as we speak :D i was scheduled to do an event today in Caldwell, NJ another on Hackensack, NJ tomorrow and New Paltz, NY on Wednesday. All canceled due to weather. So I'm currently on route (by car. I'm not the one driving either) back to Michigan. Stay safe, it looks like this is going to be a bad one.

Upvote 0
I'm currently fleeing this as we speak :D i was scheduled to do an event today in Caldwell, NJ another on Hackensack, NJ tomorrow and New Paltz, NY on Wednesday. All canceled due to weather. So I'm currently on route (by car. I'm not the one driving either) back to Michigan. Stay safe, it looks like this is going to be a bad one.
Have they given this winter storm a name yet, like last year's storm 'Quintus'? I've been watching the news coverage - may everyone in the soon-to-be affected areas stay safe. LW

Upvote 0
Have they given this winter storm a name yet, like last year's storm 'Quintus'? I've been watching the news coverage - may everyone in the soon-to-be affected areas stay safe. LW
IMO naming winter storms is dumb. I can get 2' at my house, and 50 miles away it is a dusting. It's like naming tornadoes, good for media hype, but meaningless in the real world.
Ice fishing is fun.
Heck yeah it is. Especially when it is recreational. Set up a couple dozen tilts and kills some beverages waiting for a flag.

Upvote 0
Naming winter storms was probably invented by Jim Cantore at The Weather Channel. Even their concern is driven by television ratings madness.

Do I agree with it, or support it? Absolutely not.

In my humble opinion.

Here's a rant for you:

Last year, I started getting into My Coke Rewards, to earn points toward getting nifty stuff, et cetera.

Now, when I want to log in, they want my Facebook information (which I don't have, as I terminated my account because of privacy issues); my Twitter information (which is tied to an email account that is pen-named), ad infinitum.

Everyone - including our current President - supports a free Internet. I'm so tired of my internet info going to third-party analytic concerns.

Dammit. LW

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones