• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Grr my comcast connection is hosed up so I need someone to come out (box keeps freezing up if I try to do very much) & I refuse to take time off work for it, so I can't get anyone out until Friday since we get that day off. My internet is unreliable so I'm reduced to using only my phone to surf the web, & whatever I can do at work. At least I got them to credit me some money for my troubles. Still... GRRRR [emoji35]

Upvote 0

Our Norton just ran out - anyone out there have any recommendations, since there's no money until the third of April, and this PC laptop running 8.1 needs an antivirus desperately...

Thanks in advance - LW

Personally, I use Avast and Windows Defender which seems to work well. Both are free programs.
Avoid Norton like the plague. Remove all traces of it from your computer.
I completely agree! Norton used to be a good product, but now it is nothing but a bloatware resource hog!

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0
Idiots that press the buttons too hard. :rolleyes: Bam! Thwapp! Pow! Zonk!

button.jpg

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I was just in my apartment office talking to the office girl about APARTMENT BUSINESS and another tenant came in while I was talking & interrupted me to have a conversation with her about his rent. Granted, he apologized as he was interrupting, but it amazes me how someone can decide that what they want is more important than what another person is doing.

Upvote 0
Avast, and Windows Defender. Sounds good to me. Free, too! Surely, there must be less bloat than Norton.

PattiCakeUS, many people who live in current times are self-absorbed to the point of narcissism - they have a hierarchy of taking care of life's problems, which mean their problems must be dealt with first.

I remember back during my early adulthood that I suffered from the same affliction - as time passed and my life experience (along with knowledge), I learned to 'juggle' - figuratively, and literally.

Hell, I'm still learning - one day at a time. On June 23, I'll be 53 years old. I must say, being alcohol and drug-free have helped me out in a big way. I no longer have those excuses!

May everyone's week be good - so far. MLSS, may yours be especially good - LW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kct1975 and MLSS
Upvote 0
Yesterday was my wife-to-be's first year anniversary of her daughter's death from cancer. The last few days have been a bit rough with the approaching full moon, and I guess that's my rant.

She and I are both going into grief counseling. I buried three family members between 1996-2006. As the first-born, I had to handle everything, and I never got a chance to grieve due to my then-teenagers going nuts, and the end of my marriage. We both see therapists, but, we need more.

MLSS, my thoughts are with you; bjacks12, may your BSOD woes be behind you. May the ASUS owner get free shipping, or a free computer. May everyone's Sunday - Christian, non-Christian, Agnostic... be full of peace, and love - LW

Reactions: MLSS and kct1975
Upvote 0
Yesterday was my wife-to-be's first year anniversary of her daughter's death from cancer. The last few days have been a bit rough with the approaching full moon, and I guess that's my rant.

She and I are both going into grief counseling. I buried three family members between 1996-2006. As the first-born, I had to handle everything, and I never got a chance to grieve due to my then-teenagers going nuts, and the end of my marriage. We both see therapists, but, we need more.

MLSS, my thoughts are with you; bjacks12, may your BSOD woes be behind you. May the ASUS owner get free shipping, or a free computer. May everyone's Sunday - Christian, non-Christian, Agnostic... be full of peace, and love - LW

LW,
I too am sorry for your losses and the struggles you have had. As I have mentioned before in this thread, I have lost my mother, to Parksons, and my grandparents to cancer, so I know how you feel.

Also, I too had a period in my life where the stress of my job, and the stress of my mother's illnesses got to be too much, and I needed help. Thankfully, I got through my stress and am a productive member of society.

My mother passed away almost 2 years ago, and, I still miss here, but the emotional pain gets a bit easier as the time passes.

My prayers and best wishes are with you, LoveWorks and your wife.

Take care and God Bless You!

Happy Easter to Everyone! And my God Bless Everyone!

Upvote 0
I have known loss like that. In the space of two years I was medically discharged from the service (right foot is now held together with titanium,) went bankrupt, got divorced, lost my mom to cancer, got remarried, and had a son. Life is unpredictable, and the only constant is change. Thankfully, there's good change to offset the bad.

Upvote 0
They are a thriving international business... $7B annually, employ 13,000, many of those at their home base in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I think they've grown more in non-US markets.

The 'market to your friends' model is not something I'm motivated to do either. However I give Amway credit as a business for being a large employer, diversifying this state's economy and putting a dent in the trade deficit.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
MLM is very popular overseas now. All of my Filipino friends are bugging me to buy/invest in their little businesses.

I think it's a nigh despicable business model. Too many have fallen for it thinking they'll make big $$$, only to end up losing money. And you can never convince them to get off the train before it wrecks.

There's also no aversion in the Philippines to spam. They consider it socially acceptable to litter your friends' pages with links to buy stuff.

Upvote 0
I used to see a lot of Amway stuff in the UK about 20-30 years ago. But nothing of it since. Probably because UK law now takes a dim view of MLM and pyramid schemes. The only person who gets rich is the one at the top. Emerging markets like China are somewhat behind, and that's why I see so much of it here. I had a session this morning of removing contacts from my Wechat and QQ IM, because of the Amway referral and recruitment garbage they kept pushing through.

Some other recruitment, money and possibly cult things like Scientology are completely illegal here.

BTW here's to Beijing getting the 2022 Winter Olympics.
02-890942.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My gears were slightly ground driving home from work tonight. There was a woman driving in the next lane over who was wearing what looked like a wired headset in the ear I could see - but she was holding the phone in her left hand & talking into it... and smoking a cigarette with her right hand. We have laws against this kind of crap & people still do it ALL THE TIME :mad:

Hmm... I just looked up the statute in MN & our "distracted driving" law seems pretty lax. Apparently because she wasn't texting, isn't under 18 & isn't a bus driver, it's OK to be using both hands to do things while you're driving. Nice.

DISTRACTED DRIVING LAWS
Texting and Web Access
It is illegal for drivers of all ages to compose, read, or send electronic messages or access the Internet on a wireless device when the vehicle is in motion or part of traffic. This includes being stopped in traffic or at a light.

The law does not apply to devices that are permanently affixed to the vehicle or global positioning or navigation systems.

Cell Phone Use and Texting
  • It is illegal for drivers under age 18 to use a cell phone, whether hand-held or hands-free — except to call 911 in an emergency.
  • Cell phone use is totally banned for school bus drivers.
Reckless or Careless Driving
  • Distracted drivers can be ticketed for reckless or careless driving when their actions demonstrate a disregard for the safety or rights of others.

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones