• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Basically it's a window unit that all kids stand in front of and talk into it using elongated syllables. Makes a very cool sound. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's a water cooler. A unit with a mesh that holds water as a squirrel cage forces air through it. Excellent cooling aid in arid areas because it cools as well as adds humidity.
Definitely no need for any extra humidity here in Ohio in the summer. :eek:

Reactions: MLSS and kct1975
Upvote 0
It's the same here in Kansas. However, my grandparents used a swamp cooler when I was a child. They lived in the pan handle of Oklahoma where it never rains. The cooler was really fairly effective. Nobody had AC back then so it was far better than just a fan.

I grew up without air conditioning. I slept outside all summer unless it was raining. Nobody had AC so I didn't know I was missing out. In 1961 my father bought a brand new Oldsmobile that had factory air.
Naturally he refused to use it because he thought it cut into his gas mileage. o_O Oh how I remember those trips to Oklahoma mid July getting wind chapped while trying desperately not to drown in my own sweat.

Upvote 0
Try living at altitude. You can see it snow on one side of the street and rain on the other if the houses are on a hill. Rain can be hit and miss.
I agree,This morning clouds were low,But above on Pikes Peak is nice and sunny.

But on to my rant:
People that complain that there devices won't get newer updates that there device can't handle,And they still don't understand why.Use your brain.

Upvote 0
I agree,This morning clouds were low,But above on Pikes Peak is nice and sunny.

But on to my rant:
People that complain that there devices won't get newer updates that there device can't handle,And they still don't understand why.Use your brain.

Yeah, the other day rain (just spits) came just up to our house before it quit. Rained on the west side of the house and not on the east.

Was clear down on the Riverwalk in Pueblo.

I do know certain phones can't or won't get upgrades. Doesn't bother me since I use the phone as a PDA library anyway and read before I update any app. I do resent being lumped into that crowd. If the phone doesn't work somewhere, it doesn't work. Live with it. What bothers me the most is getting information. With a new phone, I like to know exactly what you can delete or disable. I'm not into social stuff or shopping locally.

Reactions: LOveWerks and AMOCO
Upvote 0
Hello, everyone! I'm glad to finally be back here at AF! My new email account accepted the email confirmation, so - deh Luv man is back from the grave...

I've missed all of you. I'm now declared officially disabled (a judge said so, anyway), so - my better half now sports an engagement ring... and, I'm going to receive superlative medical (and psychiatric) care. No rants today - just complete, utter happiness.

I've missed you: @EarlyMon; @kct1975; @bjacks12; @Lordvincent 90; @zuben el genub; @PattiCakeUS; @ocnbrze and, all of the rest. You have truly been missed. With lotsa love,

@LOveWerks

or, LW

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Need some advice on getting a new, Android smartphone that can be brought root... we're getting two, and probably going to go with Virgin Mobile. Or, if anyone has any suggestions re carriers, bring it on. I've got a bank account now!

LW (I'm getting my better half to join AF with me... if there's a person who knows how to rant, it is she!)

Upvote 0
Need some advice on getting a new, Android smartphone that can be brought root... we're getting two, and probably going to go with Virgin Mobile. Or, if anyone has any suggestions re carriers, bring it on. I've got a bank account now!

LW (I'm getting my better half to join AF with me... if there's a person who knows how to rant, it is she!)
I have a Moto E 2015, Moto X Style and a Moto G 2015 ...the E is on Boost and has a unlimited talk/text plan with 5GB at full speed for 45 bucks. My X and G are on T-Mobile for roughly 110 for both lines. Development is very good for all three devices. Plus there's excellent official support from Motorola.

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0

Hey there!

Glad to see you back again! [emoji106]

Glad to hear that you are doing well! [emoji1] [emoji120]

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0

Welcome back, LW.

I'm a big fan now of MetroPCS, having switched in August. If there is good T-mobile coverage in your area, I would highly recommend it. I'm currently on the $60 unlimited high speed LTE plan that also has 7 GB of tethering. I get incredible speeds. I went with the Nexus 6. I hear good things about the LG G Stylo....my 60 yr old roommate just bought one, so I'm sure I'll be learning a bit more about it as I help him learn to use it.

The Moto's have typically been decent performers for the $$$. I'm much more hesitant to recommend them now due to their very shady practice of dropping updates in less than a year. They promised the 2015 Moto E would be updated for a long time. They've already EOL'd the device. Not a lot of honesty out of Lenovo, typical Chinese business ethics.

Upvote 0
Welcome back, LW.

I'm a big fan now of MetroPCS, having switched in August. If there is good T-mobile coverage in your area, I would highly recommend it.

I'm not so happy with metro at the moment, but in fairness, it was my choice to move to the hills of Southern Humboldt where there's no reception... My M8 that I ordered online plays my games great, but I have to travel an hour north before I have data to download them

Upvote 0
If you were to ask me how my life was before September 18 of this year, I would've said it was okay. I played some gigs, did some street music, and SURVIVED... as everyone remembers, I nearly lost my fiancee in 2013-14. She's doing well. She just returned Friday, from yet another family emergency. I'm grateful she's home.

My life is no longer a struggle. Soon, I'll have a power chair for the long-distance stuff. A Class 2 trailer hitch welded in to the back of a 4-door Ford Focus ZST (DOHC), to carry and load the power chair onto a carrier that has a built-in ramp, that folds up when it's empty (it becomes a box).

New electric guitar coming, new guitar synth, digital audio workstation (keyboard with sequencing, sampling and recording capabilities), and a Mac PowerBook Pro laptop with legendary Pro Tools software installed, and an 8 channel USB mixing surface for actual control of 192 kHz audio, and those faders and knobs have other jobs, as well. Effects levels. Panning. I may be disabled, but, I can still write and record songs. The last ten years have provided plethora tunes.

@bjacks12 - I'm with you on the Far East business ethics. My lady and I like to vape (I've been smoke-free for four years now). So, we started ordering vapor merch at a place called F*******. Inexpensive smartphones, computers, Chinese-built Garmin and Tom Tom GPS devices for the driving lost... vaping supplies, box mods, RDAs (re-buildable drip atomizers), RTAs (re-buildable tank atomizers), and tank atomizers with pre-built coils, loaded with Japanese cotton to soak up the e-liquid for MONSTER 5 ml tanks, like the ones we have now.

We purchased two 50 watt box mods (they provide LiPo 'power pack' power to tank atomizers), so that you can 'vape'. Those charge with a mini USB phone charger. We paid half-price for those, as the ones that are sold Stateside. When we received them, it took 13 days with upgraded China Post to USPS shipping (Singapore Post to USPS is their free shipping, which takes up to twenty days).

They arrived with Euro chargers.

Worse, my lady's box mod was defective (it wouldn't even turn on, or accept a charge from my charger). If I didn't have an American-type charger for the mod I received (I had an older, less powerful one from the same manufacturer) - mine would've been 'defective', too.

They made us create videos and photos of the defective mods, and the wrong power supplies, and - they even demanded photos of the bank card used for the transaction. By the time we went through their ticket system online to get a RMA (return merchandise authorization), the warranty for the mods was about to end... so -

By the time we got our RMA, we had two days to ship it to a location in FL. That was on a Saturday. That meant we had to send it to FL Next Day Air, so that it would arrive on Tuesday, and make it in time for the warranty to be current.

(Note: I'm not a racist, or a bigot. One of my closest friends here in AF, is of Far East descent). They sent us back another ticket, through an app in my Android smartphone that read: "Sorry that you pay for faster shipping. We give you $15 USD credit in store. Thank you for returning item. We will ship another to you China Post free."

Guess what? After 14 days of waiting, we received another defective item. Again, with the Euro charger. They received a ticket from us, saying that the videos of both defective items (that they had us send them) were now on YouTube. They replied, "Please remove video from YouTube. Your RMA number is ********. If we do not receive merchandise at our Florida facility in two weeks, you will not receive replacement."

Our response was that we wanted a refund. My fiancee ended up with the mod I was supposed to have (Chivalry? Yes.), and I got my old 30 watt mod back, and we had to share one American charger (!). No response from them for 9 days, then: "Sorry please. We do not give refunds. We send replacements." We ate that $27.50, spent the store credit on some nickel coil atomizers, as we had found an online place Stateside that had the tanks we wanted that matched the coils we bought overseas for only a few dollars more, as they were having a sale.

We also bought 120 watt box mods. The nickel coil atomizer tanks allowed for temperature control, and control of joules - up to 50j! This US company heard our story. They wanted our business. We got them cheap, and, we now have mods that require 5000 mAh from two Li-Ion 3.7 volt 18650 batteries. Nearly 200 watt mods, with tanks that take atomizers that have up to SIX coils in them. We are now down to only 6 mg of nicotine from the e-liquid we order, and we now order e-liquids that are healthier, with less propylene glycol - and, more vegetable glycerin. On a monthly membership plan.

We vape with these at 50 watts. Batteries will last from morning to nighttime, unless...

You're in Raleigh, and you see some college kids with 'drippers' (drip atomizers). Clouds galore. Our box mods are digital, not mechanical - and you have ten memory locations for your wattage settings. Select number ten - it's at 177 watts. Then, approach them, and BLAM! Take a big draw, and blow out a HUGE CLOUD. They will sit there, wide-eyed, and say: "Dude! I've never seen a tank do that!"

That's why we have an intelligent four-battery charger, and backup batteries - should someone want a fog machine to go off...

I sold my 120 watt box mod for nearly what I paid for it. My lady gave hers to her son in Colorado, to get him to quit smoking.

Our Far East business experience was an eye-opener; but, it was a happy ending. However, when doing business overseas - one needs to be ever watchful, especially when it comes to the Far East. They have their own set of rules. It's not like ordering from Amazon...

@LOveWerks (it's good to be home) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Hello, everyone! I'm glad to finally be back here at AF! My new email account accepted the email confirmation, so - deh Luv man is back from the grave...

I've missed all of you. I'm now declared officially disabled (a judge said so, anyway), so - my better half now sports an engagement ring... and, I'm going to receive superlative medical (and psychiatric) care. No rants today - just complete, utter happiness.

I've missed you: @EarlyMon; @kct1975; @bjacks12; @Lordvincent 90; @zuben el genub; @PattiCakeUS; @ocnbrze and, all of the rest. You have truly been missed. With lotsa love,

@LOveWerks

or, LW
Welcome back!

Upvote 0
If you are still planning to move to CO, I'd get a no-contract phone, and check out who has coverage where you will be living. The foothills can be hit and miss. TMO usually doesn't work and it varies between the others. You would also need to check on bringing your own device if you buy expensive phones. Not all places have LTE on some bands, yet, so you just might be in an area that requires a CDMA or GSM phone and an MNVO might not work.

Altitude is the problem.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
64° and thunderstorms in Vegas this morning ... Should do wonders for the morning commute [emoji19]
I woke up to the storm this morning, walked out and stood in my backyard for 15 minutes. The commute to work was.....interesting. Saw a few accidents. Mainly folks in 2wd compact pickups, no weight over the rear axle. Was hilarious to watch one idiot try to get moving from a stop. He couldn't keep the back end straight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones