• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

@Dngrsone
Sounds like a case of the "f" its to me.

^^^IDK. Have you looked?
You know, after the eighth time trying to convince management that there is a problem, and their attitude is essentially, "la-la-la-la no problems here, everything is great" you kinda have to say, "okay, I've done all I'm required by personal mandate to do, have fun in hell," and walk away.

They've got the best group of people in one location, work the hell out of them, and yet there is a whole other group who are overmanned and underemployed. Try and get some (plainly simple) stuff shunted to the other group and we're told, "they aren't tooled for that."

Fine. You don't care? I don't care.

I have been looking for another job, don't care who knows. I may be the low guy on the totem pole, but my departure is likely to release the flood of good talent heading elsewhere.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
There are three types of people.
1. Those that make it happen.
2. Those that watch it happen.
3. Those that say "What just happened?"

By soul I was referring to something a little less holistic. ie. my thoughts.

Isn't that your consciousness?
I take 'soul' to mean something spiritual within the body, which some people think has an eternal life.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
Isn't that your consciousness?
I take 'soul' to mean something spiritual within the body, which some people think has an eternal life.

I did not mean the spiritual sense. The soul of our being. The essence of us. What makes us tick... The truth.
Who we really are, not who we are pretending to be. That's what I meant by soul.

Upvote 0
I'm agnostic and I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, isn't it also true that energy cannot be destroyed, only changed into a different form?

That's very true. But you as a sentient human, are a one-off, probably unique in the history of the universe. It's unlikely that whatever makes up you as an individual, will ever be recreated again.

But maybe the Buddhists have something with their views on rebirth. I mean the energy in your body will probably end up in a worm.
Interestingly, Buddhism rejects the idea of an eternal soul,

I speak to people at work who believe in an eternal afterlife, and they believe that although our time on Earth is short, it's nothing compared to what happens after your body dies. I respect that belief, and the comfort it provides, but it is a pure belief, which I don't share.

Upvote 0
I want to make a cup of tea with a teabag. What size is a cup? I cook, therefore a cup is 8oz. My coffeemaker, a Kitchenaid, thinks a cup is 5 0z. (so did all other coffeemakers) I use a 20 oz mug. I think mugs are 10 0z and I have nothing else. No cups and saucers, we don't use them.

I bought some Bigelow Oolong teabags to try it, and there is absolutely no recommended size for a cup. I asked and just got an advertising blurb back.

If you know what size is recommended, please tell me.
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones