• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Politics. One of my brothers keeps posting political crap on Facebook that he doesn't even try to verify. I checked Snopes for one of his recent posts & found its completely bogus, so I called him on it being false & he's just arguing. So much for wisdom coming with age, lol.

Nah, they just get stuck in a rut in old age - lack of geritol. I've learned by living with the Vulcan you can't teach an old dog new tricks

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I just unsubscribe... Not quite as bad as unfriending, but then I don't have to sift through all the BS
He actually deleted my comment to his post! Heaven forbid anyone who sees his post might learn for themselves that it's not true, apparently :thinking:.

He posts at least 10 different political things like this every day, so I did unsubscribe; hopefully he'll stop after the election.

Upvote 0
He actually deleted my comment to his post! Heaven forbid anyone who sees his post might learn for themselves that it's not true, apparently :thinking:.

He posts at least 10 different political things like this every day, so I did unsubscribe; hopefully he'll stop after the election.

I leaned that Facebook is not the place for any kind of serious discussion.

Upvote 0
:D Right, and may I suggest that Twitter actually lowers the bar further?

I disagree... Facebook is full of people I know.. so in between bits of actually useful stuff about family members, and seeing what friends are doing, I get mad stuff from people I know who are convinced that "eating a lemon a day will keep your blood ph neutral", "pigs are so toxic its impossible to poison them", inane quotes with a picture of a minion next to them, and a large pile of racism from various xenophobic groups

On the other hand, my twitter feed is full of the people I wish I actually knew in real life, writers, journalists, comedians, scientists, musicians etc, who post interesting and funny posts, where I turn to when Facebook makes we want to weep.

Reactions: chanchan05
Upvote 0
I disagree... Facebook is full of people I know.. so in between bits of actually useful stuff about family members, and seeing what friends are doing,

See, that's why I started using Facebook in the first place. My Nephews live a thousand miles away and I wanted to watch them grow.
Now it's a soapbox for idiots.

Upvote 0
I disagree... Facebook is full of people I know.. so in between bits of actually useful stuff about family members, and seeing what friends are doing, I get mad stuff from people I know who are convinced that "eating a lemon a day will keep your blood ph neutral", "pigs are so toxic its impossible to poison them", inane quotes with a picture of a minion next to them, and a large pile of racism from various xenophobic groups

On the other hand, my twitter feed is full of the people I wish I actually knew in real life, writers, journalists, comedians, scientists, musicians etc, who post interesting and funny posts, where I turn to when Facebook makes we want to weep.

Well I was thinking more of the comments I see on public pages. The comments there can get a bit moronic.
Having said that, I've had terminal disagreements with people who I thought were my 'friends'. So these days, I don't offer anything much in terms of my opinions on anything that matters, for fear of upsetting someone.

I've tried following famous people on Twitter, but all I see them doing is re-tweeting other stuff. What I'd like to see from them is a bit more of their own thoughts. I might have been following the wrong people I suppose.

Upvote 0
Well I was thinking more of the comments I see on public pages. The comments there can get a bit moronic.
Having said that, I've had terminal disagreements with people who I thought were my 'friends'. So these days, I don't offer anything much in terms of my opinions on anything that matters, for fear of upsetting someone.

I've tried following famous people on Twitter, but all I see them doing is re-tweeting other stuff. What I'd like to see from them is a bit more of their own thoughts. I might have been following the wrong people I suppose.

Depends on the thoughts. Lol. They surprise you sometimes. Jaden Smith did surprise me. Lol.

Upvote 0
The thing is, some people can't handle the fact that their view may differ from others. Just because I see things differently, does not make my view invalid. I used to be on a running forum, and well, let's just say that how you train is by no means an exact science. There were some people (usually the quicker ones) who said this is how you do it, and no other way will do the job. Well sorry, but there are too many variables to proclaim things absolutely. Just because something worked for you, does not mean it'll work for me.

Upvote 0
I learned that the average intelligence of actively commenting Facebookers is pretty low.

This is one of the main reasons that I hate Facebook. It's become a propaganda machine.
Those reasons are the lack of privacy are the primary reasons why I never had a Facebook account, and don't want one!

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I only really use Facebook to see what my relatives, especially cousins far away, are up to. I generally ignore any religious or political stuff because my thoughts on religion & politics are nobody's business.

At least with my brother's posts no longer filling my feed I can see the puppies, minions, & food stuff again. You know, the important stuff of life [emoji16]

... moggies, wotters???

Upvote 0
I only really use Facebook to see what my relatives, especially cousins far away, are up to. I generally ignore any religious or political stuff because my thoughts on religion & politics are nobody's business.

At least with my brother's posts no longer filling my feed I can see the puppies, minions, & food stuff again. You know, the important stuff of life [emoji16]

... moggies, wotters???

Moggie is Brit for cat. Kid has 7. A wotter is an otter - either sea or river. We had ferrets and she likes the whole family of Mustilidae

Upvote 0
Do you mean the over-achievers posts?
I had a friend that on an average day would work 10 hours, smoke a Prime Rib, jog 10 miles, make 5 new pieces of jewelry and reorganize every closet in her house and still have time to post it all on FB.

Sounds like an under-achiever to me. On my average day, I jog 15 miles uphill to work. Prep, cook and serve diner for 600, by myself. Then jog home 15 miles, uphill. Discover 6 new species of dinosaurs. Reorganize all of my neighbors closets, then still have the time to write it all down, and fax it to every human on earth!

Upvote 0
Sounds like an under-achiever to me. On my average day, I jog 15 miles uphill to work. Prep, cook and serve diner for 600, by myself. Then jog home 15 miles, uphill. Discover 6 new species of dinosaurs. Reorganize all of my neighbors closets, then still have the time to write it all down, and fax it to every human on earth!

What is this 'jog' you speak of? Real men run! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones