• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Sometimes you gotta get the message acrose with broken english...but what grinds my gear is that "PC" word...yup, I hate anything ,even phrases considered "politically correct"...why is it correct? Because the "trend" sez so? Aint true

PC is bad, bad, bad. I refuse to play. You simply cannot disuuss many issues without being called terrible things because you are not being PC. By the way, you misspelled "acrose." It should be across.

Smiley.

I am about as un-PC as one can get. I am like Dr. Gregory House crossed with Dr. Becker. Not a doctor, however.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Grammer police are hated and despized. I read several writer's mailing lists and quite often, I'll enclunter third grade writing and hillbilly speeling in posts made by other working professional writers.

You can often judge a poster by his or her post. What you cannot do is judge a person by his or her post. I am a freelance technical writer and I'll be the first to admit my failings as far as forum posts go. I try to write well in public but untill AF pays me so much per word, I'll continue to use bad Engmake those egreious errors you seem to dislike.

Oh Bob, forgive me if I seem dense but I took part of your quoted comments as a humorous retort and then, partly based on previous comments of yours toward me, you seem to become a bit snarky.

In fairness, I could be completely wrong about this but I am wondering why you seem to take so personally, the comments I make in the rants and raves section. This is the second time I have made a comment in this section, directed at absolutely nobody in particular, that you seem to take issue with!

You also seem to have sort of missed my point...my "dislike" is at the irony that the collective we can ridicule each others opinions and beliefs ad nauseam and its ok but not each others spelling or grammar.

Again if I interpreted your comments incorrectly (and I hope I did) then I apologize!

Upvote 0
Oh Bob, forgive me if I seem dense but I took part of your quoted comments as a humorous retort and then, partly based on previous comments of yours toward me, you seem to become a bit snarky.

In fairness, I could be completely wrong about this but I am wondering why you seem to take so personally, the comments I make in the rants and raves section. This is the second time I have made a comment in this section, directed at absolutely nobody in particular, that you seem to take issue with!

You also seem to have sort of missed my point...my "dislike" is at the irony that the collective we can ridicule each others opinions and beliefs ad nauseam and its ok but not each others spelling or grammar.

Again if I interpreted your comments incorrectly (and I hope I did) then I apologize!

Just saying that pointing out grammar issues on forums is dangerous and leads to problems. Not being snarky, just spent too much time on-line watching what happens.

I do not take it personally. I know many people cannot write. I know many people cannot spell or find the spell checker button. I know many people really do not care if their posts are perfect.

Just sayin', as the sayin goes. Smiley.

Upvote 0
Just saying that pointing out grammar issues on forums is dangerous and leads to problems. Not being snarky, just spent too much time on-line watching what happens.

I do not take it personally. I know many people cannot write. I know many people cannot spell or find the spell checker button. I know many people really do not care if their posts are perfect.

Which is why I put it in the RnR section!! ;)

Upvote 0

Dont forget some may be multitasking while typing a message. Others may need to get a msg out there with as few seconds as possible. I think we can identify when some poster is a total illiterate when it comes to spelling or posting, so , personally, I overlook such as long as they get their message across.

In any formal discussion where its critical for correct formation, etc...thats one thing but here, its a given... Purposely left out some commas and yada for the point.

At the end of the day..someones misspelled words in a post will not turn my world upsidedwn

Upvote 0
When you don't have the experience for jobs, but every job requires experience. :(

I'm having some terrible luck in the job market. Haha.

I feel your pain and I'm right there with you. Going on almost 16 months now of being told the same thing. I then I got people interviewing me who don't even read my resume and/or I realize they are incompetent and wonder how they keep their job...insane.

And just so everyone knows that reads this...I don't draw unemployment...I'm surviving with the help of family and my IRA.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain and I'm right there with you. Going on almost 16 months now of being told the same thing. I then I got people interviewing me who don't even read my resume and/or I realize they are incompetent and wonder how they keep their job...insane.

And just so everyone knows that reads this...I don't draw unemployment...I'm surviving with the help of family and my IRA.

It's very tough. I moved from Canada to the States because the job market there was too small. For new grads everyone seems to want only the top 10% of students. I've had a little more luck as far interviews go in the States.

I guess I'm lucky to an extent though. My parents have said they'll support me for now and I'm currently living with my aunt and uncle who are more than happy to have me here.

I'm giving it a couple more months though before I call it quits and head back to the Middle East where I grew up. I know people there so getting a job won't be too tough.

Upvote 0
Auto-tune.

And on the whole spelling grammar thing, I tend to ignore it unless it is so bad that I *really* cannot under stand them. But I do agree with you that it's a bit strange that the one in favor of proper grammar is viewed more negatively. As others said though, English may not be their first language. And I feel awful for people with insufficient educations, so I'm always afraid that I'll point out 'proper' grammar to someone who didn't know, and feel awful.

Along with auto-tune, improper education grinds my gears, simply because it makes me sad. :( Illiteracy makes me feel very fortunate and sad at the same time.

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0
what grinds my gears is how the some dictate to others how they should speak, say or do. Its one thing if one's upbringing and lack of wanting to do more with their lives leaves one in an 'illiterate' world. its another if one does not have the funds or means (grants, welfare or otherwise) to better themselves to fit into the mold dictated by others. Let people be people... if some want to fade away dumb and poor, let'em... who are we to judge them

thats my ran.t

Upvote 0
What rants my gears is having been chosen as the turkey disposal every "after thxgvg".. Its me who gotta habe turkey sandwitches, turkey salad, turkey loaf, turkey potpie, turkey caserole, turkey pudding,

Duck_Soup.jpeg

turkey protein shakes, turkeey cake, turkey cookies,...heck evn turkey bones (since we dont have a pooch)...whew! "A N D " by the time I is done "disposing" this yers turkey....its time for the next yers..and I aimt done with t-2010 yet.

..and yet some wanna correct my grammers...youd type cross-eyed too if youre "ful uf it" like I is

Upvote 0
There wasn't anything I really wanted. My coffeemaker broke, so had to replace that, and there was a sale on some storage furniture.
I don't want a large TV - I just bought a 15" and 19". I also have a battery run 7".
I can do better most of the time on Amazon and waiting until the new products come out. The old stuff gets discounted better then.

I make most of my gifts. My daughter gets upset if she doesn't get something made just for her.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
There wasn't anything I really wanted. My coffeemaker broke, so had to replace that, and there was a sale on some storage furniture.
I don't want a large TV - I just bought a 15" and 19". I also have a battery run 7".
I can do better most of the time on Amazon and waiting until the new products come out. The old stuff gets discounted better then.

I make most of my gifts. My daughter gets upset if she doesn't get something made just for her.
I think making your gifts is great. What, if you don't mind me asking, are you making her (or made her in the past [not to spoil it ;)])?

Upvote 0
I think making your gifts is great. What, if you don't mind me asking, are you making her (or made her in the past [not to spoil it ;)])?

I have one nightgown pattern she loves. I must have made at least 20 of them and no 2 have been the same. I embroider, quilt, etc.
Same with shirts. I can colorblock. The rest of the family likes fleece vests.
Those get customized, too. Since I can digitize, I can have what I want.

Plus if I make it, it lasts for quite a few years. We have some sweatshirts that are at least 10 years old. No shrink, no fade, no rip. Still wearable.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones