Rant: Why I don't care about the faults

1. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

Let me put one thing out there, I'm not a huge fan boy of this phone. I was very excited because of it's capabilities. However that doesn't mean I won't admit that it has it's issues...and some of them are MAJOR. However, I really could care less with the faults. Here are the issues and reasons as to why at this point people shouldn't expect a perfect phone or not care too much about the issues.

The manufacturing issues, yes these are manufacturing issues and not "build" issues. The reason we know this is because some people have the issues (raised screen, grounding, light leakage etc..). If you're not familiar with manufacturing it's simple. If one part is off, it effects every unit made with that part. Sometimes it can be something very simple, and an adjustment is made. This means that before the adjustment is made everything before that is different. So on one batch you have 30,000 phones whose screens start to detach, and on another batch you have 20,000 phones with major light leakage, then on another 30,000 batch you have a phone built to spec. When people say bad build quality this seems to imply that the engineers designed it with these flaws. However if that were the case EVERY single phone off of the line would have these issues. No one makes a perfect ANYTHING off the line. Look at those over heating iPhones. You can bet with any new phone there are issues off the line. I had a Palm Pre, anyone remember the battery issue? Or the sliding keyboard issue?

What does this mean? It means that HTC has fixed or is going to fix the problems on the line. I can almost bet all of these current problems will be fixed by years end. So if these problems occur you will get a good one eventually because these issues fall under the manufacturers warranty and agreement to build Sprint's phone under spec.

Another thing that makes me chuckle when I see people complain about this, a lot of the same people were mad that the phone wasn't released earlier, while there was a small minority trying to explain to them that if it's released early there will be lots of bugs. Those of us who are early adopters understand this with products released LATER then expected. Let alone something thrown out early! This will no doubt hurt Sprint sales once the iPhone 4 comes out, but it doesn't bother me. I knew what I was getting into.

The $10 dollar fee. Yep I know this will lead into a whole argument that has been rehashed 4 million times. However people still complain. Doesn't bother me since they told me up front. Also I am more then happy to pay for the better 3g speeds which this phone brings. Now the only valid complaint I can see for the $10 fee is that they have that on there knowing that the line isn't producing up to spec. Which kind of makes Sprint look a bit like jerks. But that is there business and they never pulled any "gotcha" moves or bait and switch like AT&T is sort of doing. So for me I just don't care much about the $10 fee.

Froyo update will be a long time coming. Yep, unlike a lot of folks I actually researched so I understood not to expect the latest greatest Android update from Sprint for like a year. Also Android was made for you to do it yourself if you didn't want to wait on carriers. So again this doesn't bother me and to be honest it shouldn't bother you. Most of the people complaining about Froyo not coming fast enough can't even root their phone let alone appreciate most of the changes Froyo brings.

OK Rant over.

Advertisement
    Matlock, wase4711, some.devil and 3 others like this.
  2. ballr4lyf

ballr4lyf Well-Known Member

Haven't read this yet, but thank you for at least marking the title as a rant. :D
  3. Wdcook87

Wdcook87 Member

I've had my phone sense launch too, the only problem I have is battery life, beyond that the phone is everything I could hope for. This is my first tango with sprint and an android phone.

Sprint has been pretty good about everything so far. The only thing I had trouble with was getting my 25% discount for working for the sears corporation on my bill and they decided to not tell me until I had to talk to sprint the first time over the phone for activation that there would be a five dollar fee for not playing with a credit card, which I really don't like doing.

It was a real pain trying to get my discount on there though, told them the day I set up my plan and they said it would be on there, I had to talk over the phone for the first time activation and the representative that I got said it was not on my phone, she then said she would send me an e-mail to fill out that I never got. Finally went back to the sprint store and told the owner that without my discount on there I would be dropping. Go home and 20min later I got an e-mail saying it had be applied to my account
  4. ProudPapaG

ProudPapaG Active Member

OP, I'm right there with ya. Are we the only ones?

Seems like the complaints are rolling in, most of which are rather pedantic.

Screen leak. Yeah, it's not perfect. Sprint/HTC will obviously have to do a 'recall' if it gets to be any larger of an issue. Both companies have a decent record and good leadership right now. For those folks; don't be too whiney, you make yourself look like an infant wanting his ba-ba.

$10 fee. Yup. Wish it was free. Wish the phone was free, too. For that matter, I wish I didn't get a bill every month and Sprint paid me to deliver my feedback and for letting them send signals through my personal little airspace...

The EVO may not be everything you want, and perhaps not the best out there. It's just an option. One that I like.

oh well, some folks will complain that they have to breathe, too.

:D
  5. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

I am in complete agreement here. I am an early adopter on all things tech and partly like to tinker with bugs and find work arounds. Nothing in this world is a perfect product. oh and WDCOOK I was having some battery issues and I did a hard reset, changed all my syncings to 4 hours (Facebook to once per day) and turned off always on Mobile and I have tripled my battery life.
  6. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Let's keep "the happy" rolling!! I love my Evo!!!!!!!
  7. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

... wow i can agree with everything but the last comment. a year for froyo by then there will be 2 other versions of android. if its that far behind sprint will be loosing customers very quickly when even there top of the line phone takes that long to update because of bloat thats not really needed.
  8. Joppie

Joppie Well-Known Member

Truer words have never been spoken. Best thing I've read on this forum YET!
  9. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Great read/rant.
  10. Dutch54

Dutch54 Well-Known Member

I am new to Android Sprint and smartphone as well....I love this phone and I am having so much fun with it. I must be one of the lucky ones with no defects. But even if that were not the case I knew what I was getting into completely...I learn something new everyday and its really cool.
  11. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

I agree that there is some nitpicking going on in the forums, but some of the issues are worth some of the complaints.

My take on it is that if you don't complain, they'll walk all over you. For example the 30fps cap, HTC pulled this same scheme on the HTC Tilt. They should be obligated to fix this issue with the EVO. If people don't complain, they wont fix it.
  12. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

finally, someone with a clear thinking logical post on this topic..very refreshing to read..