Rare Earth Magnets for mountingAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So far I have had nothing but fail with any adhesive for holding a mount in place. I am hesitant to drill the dash but I am thinking of taking this one part off my Jeep Unlimited off, and adding under it a rare earth magnet. I can calculate the pull force at distance easy, see calculator below. What I am unsure of is how much force should I shoot for where the mount would make contact? Any ideas?

K&J Magnetics - Magnet Calculator

Advertisement
  2. Eryl Flynn

Over 70 views and no comment? No one has a suggestion for how much force is needed?

3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

If you're doing a flat magnet or piece of metal on the back of the phone, I'd imagine quite a lot of force is needed because the shear force is a lot weaker than pulling it straight off. Hitting bumps and such. Also, keep in mind that it may scratch your dash.

I have a Tetrax X-Way that has a concave metal piece on the phone and a convex magnet, resisting that shear force a little better and giving it more surface area.

The tetrax claims 5g of acceleration will not disturb it. Page:

store.tetrax.us - XWAY Line - Navigator

4. Eryl Flynn

Hmm, what I plan is to hold the mount to the dash. I am having terrible luck with adhesives, and suction cups. Even the Soundgate M2 didn't stay attached for long. But the mention of how many g's it can hold got me an idea. Have to sit down and get a formula to take 5 or more times the force of gravity and convert it to a measurement I can use to compare. Might be as simple as 5 pounds = 5g but will run some numbers.

5. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member

I just made my own multimedia dock
    I used a magnet from a hard drive platter, common, flat and largish - works PERFECT
    and the 10$ iphone stand I got is made of plastic that REALLY liked my super glue. Magnet aint going NO where now =D