48 vote(s)
    36.9%
  10. 10

29 vote(s)
    22.3%

Last Updated:

1. StevenChap

StevenChap Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Including all the obvious issues like battery and memory how do you overall rate the phone as a whole. And please try place yourself behind a veil of ignorance and actually consider some of the little issues. I personally give it a 7/10 and dont get me wrong, I love this phone to bits, best phone Ive ever had but the memory thing annoys me :/ So its a very strong 7

Advertisement
  2. bunnisher

bunnisher Well-Known Member

I would have given it 10/10 but the internal storage knocks it back to 9/10 for me.

I can't think of anything that I wish it could do that it isn't already capable of doing.

3. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

I would rate it a 10 since I don't have battery or memory issues. The only reason it's not a 10 is the camera lens cover is plastic and will eventually get scratched, and the weather widget is finicky (sometimes it updates, other times it doesn't). So it gets a 9/10 rating. Great phone other than that!
    :D

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

I gave it 8/10 because of the lack of internal memory, the fact that they arent sealed well and dust gets under the screen and because they lack tv-out.
    Otherwise I think its fantastic and does everything I want it to.

5. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member

I gave my phone 8/10 - the battery life is fine as I can charge it while I am at work so no worries, the memory is the biggest gripe for me.
    Overall its a brilliant phone.

6. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Well-Known Member

Brilliant phone, I love it BUT due to the battery and internal memory I have to give it a 8

7. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I gave mine a 9. I don't really have problems with internal storage as i'm rooted and use a decent rom.

Battery life for me is better than expected (Again, down to the rom). I just don't really like the back over.

8. deanshep85

deanshep85 Well-Known Member

I shot a 9 on it too, its the internal thats the problem for me...I mean I was rocking 2GB internal just on a Samsung Jet and that was an ok feature/dumb phone but still wasnt perfect for its class...where as the Desire is just balls to the wall pure great phone..

though after the lil memory tricks without rooting I would say its a 9.5 BUT the camera for me takes that half away...sometimes the flash is just TOO damn bright...I feel its on par at times with a damn xenon which is great for a room shot or something...but when doing like closes ups...nah forget it..just white nothing else...

9. max63094

max63094 Well-Known Member

I rated it 9, but not because of battery life or memory. For me both are fine, my problem was i had to get my desire replace. The update i got from Telus screwed up my phone where it would go to speaker phone every time i would make or receive a call. Also music player was screwed up. Also i could not use Launcher Pro at all on my 2.2 before. To top it all off i could not make any phone calls or text messages even though i had full bars. Once the phone got replaced everything was working even Launcher Pro.

10. barne1980

barne1980 Member

I give it a 7, battery is rubbish in my opinion, internal mem is ludicrously low, so low who ever decided to put at that should be sacked and the screen and camera lense are cheap plastic and scratch very very easy.

But the rest of the phone is well executed.

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

10/10. It had some niggles but rooting solved them all. I was always going to root ot and tinker anyway

12. Nathan Baxter

Nathan Baxter Active Member

9/10

Battery life is the only issue I have with it. Only really started to have battery issues since using live wallpaper so that's self-inflicted really :D

13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

9/10.

It does (very) occasionally wig out, though I'm not sure whether that's a phone issue or a provider issue. A more mature Bluetooth stack would be nice, and the internal memory is a little small. Other than that, it rocks.

14. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

9/10

-1 for plastic camera lens cover

Everything else is great :D

15. Abdur

Abdur Well-Known Member

My first smartphone, and I am positively blown away. I feel the little problems that come with it, (battery, Internal storage) don't really bother me much. (I really wish the screen was gorilla glass though.) 9.5/10
    (lets round it up to about 10/10)

16. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member

8/10.

-1 for the lack of internal storage, which I know could be solved by rooting, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
    - 0.5 for the camera/video recording not always being great.
    -0.5 because the speaker quality is mediocre

I didn't mention battery because I came from a RAZR2 which couldn't make it though more than a day from the get-go, and could never handle more than 25 minutes of talk time for the last 6 months of its life.

17. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

Saying "battery life is fine because I can charge it anytime" is simply nonsensical.

-1 for camera
    -1 for battery life
    -1 for internal storage

18. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

8/10

battery is good enough for my usage

camera is very good but it's a shame i have to remove the lens cover on the back to make it decent

internal memory isn't a problem for me since i rooted

one of my main annoyances is the fact that the video sound recording quality is shocking, like, SHOCKING.

all in all, i love the phone, rooting definitely increased my love for it too.

19. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

7/10 for me.
    like sense and phone itself.
    dislike poor battery and browsing could be
    better and quicker imo. especially awful
    text entry issue where box shoots off screen :-(

cheers
    dan

20. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Battery life is fine because I can charge it anytime - not nonsensical, it's true, and it lasts 18-36h with my normal use. Battery life is 100% subjective based on how each user uses their phone.

9/10 now, 10/10 when I add A2SD+ for app storage.

21. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

true i guess - but still should be better imo - just like memory etc - does slightly annoy me when companies produce supposedly top of the line (ie big cost) devices and then make them worse by missing things out or cost cutting too much

iphone was loke this when it first came out - barely a decent phone let alone a smartphone!

cheers
    dan

22. ynwa

ynwa Well-Known Member

Camera and battery could be better. More internal memory would be needed too. 8/10

23. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

9/10 for me......NO phone (or any tech for that matter) will ever be 10 for me.....

Those that are moaning about storage should stop blaming HTC and start blaming the app devs. These phones were designed to have small app footprints (around half a meg or below in size) on them, this would have allowed what? a hundred or so being able to be stored internally.

When devs decided to get lazy with their coding and started putting over a meg apps (some are 16mb in size :eek: ) the internal storage looked poor :( Ext storage was supposed to alleviate it, but this is only a half measure at the mo (again the fault of the app devs for not spending the time putting app to sd on).

As for battery, well subjective or not, I dont have an issue with it.....Why? Because it is a phone first and foremost and it does that job pretty well! I could get maybe a couple more days from my 5800 on a charge per charge basis but it doesnt do anywhere near as much (or as well) as the Desire!

As a MID, well all I will say is this - my netbook (Sammy NC10) lasts for around 3-6 hours (of continual use, (surfing, writing, watching vids etc) - my phone lasts around the same doing the same thing, yet it is faster/more responsive/and it fits in my pocket so I simply DO NOT SEE the issue of some users at all :confused: What are you comparing it with to be so disappointed?

24. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member

I disagree. It's completely sensical, considering battery technology has pretty much reached a plateau in recent years, while devices continue to draw more power. The Desire should easily last all day with decent reception and light to moderate use. Unless you play loads of games or heavily browse the web I can't see battery life being an a huge issue. There's no reason not to put the phone on the charger overnight as far as I know, so it should start each day with plenty of juice.

25. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Completely agree. Pretty much all smart phones have the battery "Issue". To rate one device down for something we should all take as a given is wrong.