• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ravensword on Android?

How much would you pay for Ravensword on Android?

• Nothing! Software wants to be free!

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • A buck

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • 5 bucks

Votes: 72 66.7%
  • 10 bucks

Votes: 13 12.0%

• Total voters
Hey Russ,
Regarding multi touch, all you will have to do is make the buttons on the right side a little higher, so that when playing, your fingers wont cross the x axis and therefore cause the screen to react. This'll be fixed hopefully in a software update, but for now that's all you'll have to change.

What do you mean? Is this a software update for the N1 or the next version of android that would fix this?

Upvote 0
I think this game will do great ... the last quality 3d game asphalt 5 was a hit. A good 3d rpg is bound to do well and you won't have much competition ... you also may encourage more games to come out of the woodwork with all your success and raise the standard for android games.... add a exclusive multiplayer battle arena to the game and it would be epic...

On another note I would pay for a straight port of your iPhone version as Long as it runs well... one thing u need to make sure of is it works just as well on the nexus one as the Droid... people tend to optimize for the Droid but don't make sure it runs just as well on the nexus and there are a lot of us nexus one users...

don't waste your time with any other devices as the nexus and Droid are the standard now for high end games...

Russ you got our hopes up now you can't let us down bring us Ravensword!

Upvote 0
don't waste your time with any other devices as the nexus and Droid are the standard now for high end games...

Gee, I wonder what country you're from...

Heard of the X10? The Milestone (ok, you referenced that), Desire, the Legend. Don't target any specific devices. That's the point of an OS that runs on different hardware like Android.

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is to use the nexus and Droid as the standard for the game ... and anything older and less powerfull isn't a ideal place to start when porting a game over

Only problem is, that separates a large percentage of Android users away from Ravensword. If the developers expect to make any money, they'll need to ensure it goes on as many devices as possible.

Of course, my question would be what the baseline is in terms of specs to run a game like Ravensword...

Upvote 0
If you mean to target devices with hardware specs like the Droid or Nexus, then ok, I can see the logic in that - 600Mhz+, plenty of RAM, multitouch. If you're making a demanding game like Ravensword presumably is, then Tattoo owners can't realistically expect to play. The only caveat is that I wouldn't rule out HVGA - it's not going anywhere except to smaller devices such as the Legend and other 3.2" and smaller phones and they will soon be fast enough. The Legend is faster than the iPhone 3GS and it presumably runs fine on that.

Upvote 0
I will definitely buy this game. But it would be nice if some of the major problems were addressed such as being able to tell what weapons are better than others, having more than two sets of armor in the whole game, a more accurate map, and more auto travel spots. Will still buy it, but it would be nice if these things were fixed.

Upvote 0
Only problem is, that separates a large percentage of Android users away from Ravensword. If the developers expect to make any money, they'll need to ensure it goes on as many devices as possible.

Of course, my question would be what the baseline is in terms of specs to run a game like Ravensword...

The game was a little choppy on my old iPhone 3G. The Droid would be a perfect baseline for this game. It just isn't possible to address all of the low end Android phones with a game like this. This is a premium game that requires phones with better hardware and multitouch, such as the N1 and Droid. The dev will still make plenty of money. The Droid user base is HUGE.

Upvote 0
Are you always this hostile, or have I insulted you somehow?

Ignore him Russ. We would love to see your game ported. I am a huge RPG fan and have bought all the RPG games on Android so far. Your game seems pretty good on the Iphone so if you port it to Android count me in as a day one buyer!

Plus Russ if Apple is going to "kick you out" then you really have no choice but to port your game to Android or start from scratch for the Iphone. And since you have the game on the Iphone already no-one is going to pay for it again after the rework.

Upvote 0
The game was a little choppy on my old iPhone 3G. The Droid would be a perfect baseline for this game. It just isn't possible to address all of the low end Android phones with a game like this. This is a premium game that requires phones with better hardware and multitouch, such as the N1 and Droid. The dev will still make plenty of money. The Droid user base is HUGE.

The Droid userbase is far from 'huge'. Compared to other phones running Android, yes, its certainly the largest.

Here is why:
chart

According to Google, Android >2.0 users (which would be the Droid and better) make up just 30.1% of all Android phones....Not a particularly great number to sell to.

Having said that though, there are a slew of great phones running 2.1 that are slated to come out, plus the Hero is supposed to make the jump from 1.5 to 2.1 (which makes up probably half of that 1.5 userbase). I guess that 2.1 would be a good starting point for such a great game *if* they were willing to take an initial hit in slow sales. Say what you will about the Droid and Nexus, most people own 1.5 and 1.6 devices. It will probably be July or August before >50% of Android users are running 2.0 or greater.

But at the same time, I would assume it'd take that kind of time for Ravensword to get ported to Android devices, which would ensure ample time for the more powerful phones to proliferate the market.

Upvote 0
Honestly this game would make best sellers list/featured list almost instantly. This should really help considering Android's growth, as new users will probably buy this game just because its popular. Even so it is an incredible game, Iv played it on my ipod and I consider it to probably be one of the of the best apps on Apple's App Store. It would be an insta-buy for me, again, haha.

Upvote 0
It will probably be July or August before >50% of Android users are running 2.0 or greater.

But at the same time, I would assume it'd take that kind of time for Ravensword to get ported to Android devices, which would ensure ample time for the more powerful phones to proliferate the market.

Since Unity 3 will come around in august (my prediction, they said late summer), I think that's the time where they actually will start to port.
And honestly, I'm pretty sure I bought more games for my Nexus,then all G1 and Hero users I know combined, even before I started reviewing them. People don't buy these handsets with games in mind, but they will do with Droid/Nexus One, at least I did.

Device numbers alone are not the important factor, how much the people download with it is, or else the Ovi store wouldn't be such a flop.
Droid/Nexus One are the first devices, that are great for gaming and that will push game sales. That's why they will be the new baseline entry for Developers.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I was saying....

On another note Russ hasn't posted back hopefully that dude didn't send him away with all that negativity... If you are still reading this Russ what is the chance you will port this to Android?

It looks like you will have a lot of support and now would be a good time as there are not a lot of quality games yet.... "yet" being the keyword...

Upvote 0
Maybe he's taking back all of his findings to his other partners to see what they think?

I PMed him about the company I work for...We do analysis on the Android game market, and offered our reports to him. He didn't reply, so I think it may just be a case of him not returning to the forums (yet)....Hopefully that's it at least ;-)

Upvote 0
I gotta throw in my vote for this. I've never heard of this (don't follow iphone stuff much), but this game looks INCREDIBLE. I'm on the fence on buying a few apps still (I've only had my Droid for a month or so and have yet to buy an app), but I think this coming paycheck I'll drop some money on the better ones. For this game, it's a no brainer. For one thing, I could get all my friends with iphones to see that yes, Android is a powerful and great platform.

Just as everyone says, people need to make games for it.

I also think the demo has shifted a lot this last year. Whereas before we were probably looking at people that were seeking out Android devices, the Droid had a huge marketing campaign which I think brought in a lot of people that have no idea what android is - and that's the distinction to me: these are the people that make up the iphone userbase, now ported to the Android.

Not sure if if I'm right at all. Point being, bring this game over, you will do well.

Upvote 0
I would enjoy this game as well, I would pay more for it and be willing to beta it if needed. I agree that Android needs some more quality in the gaming department, and I think a lot of developers are stuck on the fence. Android is rising, Apple is already there...but things change so rapidly in the technology field. I think the game will do well, and I have at least 15 friends with the Moto Droid or a Nexus , so I would inform them for sure!

Upvote 0
PM me if you do this and I guarantee you will get 5 dollars from this N1 user

Then again I'm the kinda guy who went and bought ExZeus just because I wanted a 3D game that used the full power of the snapdragon inside my N1 (couldn't have all that grunt just pushing sudoku pixels lol).We really need more 3D games - I have no problems with the app selection in general, everything I want/need is catered for then some more, but the android games selection is really below par IMO (esp compared to iphone/ipod touch)

And slightly OTT, lemme guess, steve's new rules means the current iphone SDK you use is no longer kosher?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones