• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Raw camera

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Wow.

Elle Stone from Nine Degrees Below said:
Hi EarlyMon,

I was just working with your raw file. GIMP is assigning the built-in sRGB profile because there is no embedded ICC profile. Your dcraw command line told dcraw to output a linear gamma image ("-4").

Essentially your GIMP curve is counteracting the effect of assigning a regular sRGB profile to a linear gamma image. Your raw file really isn't underexposed at all.

The regular sRGB profile has a more or less perceptually uniform TRC. Your dcraw output assumes a linear gamma TRC.

If the idea of an ICC profile TRC (tone reproduction curve) seems odd, given your background you might find this article the quickest way to assimilate a lot of relevant information, and there's a section on TRCs:

Completely Painless Programmer's Guide to XYZ, RGB, ICC, xyY, and TRCs
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/xyz-rgb.html

I attached a linear gamma sRGB profile for you to experiment with.

Alas 8 bits isn't enough to work with linear gamma images. So either compile GIMP 2.9 from git (easy to do, and Partha maintains a build for Windows and also I think Mac, I can send you the link if you are interested). Or else remove the "-4" from your command line. Or experiment anyway, but you'll see bands in the shadows from posterization.

And it goes a long way from there, including not needing -m 40 because there's not a lot of noise in the images to begin with. :p

Ok - back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0
I did a new dcraw output using these parameters:

Code:
dcraw -v -4 -q 3 -m 40 -T -a -r 2.132583 1 1.480864 1 IMAG0003.draw

Here's the pooch photo edited with RawTherapee, 16bit .tiff output.

Here's the full file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xiIlbIPKFDUm8xU19CajIwSFU/edit?usp=sharing

Still need to read and mess with all of the options (there are a lot of editing parameters!), and learn what I'm doing instead of just moving sliders until it "Looks Good". :eek:

Still a little on the dark side, need to mess with the dcraw output to get a more exposed image.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Oh, hell yes! :)

I was leaving that in there for editing in RawTherapee, but this is much better.

So the -4 assigns a 16bit linear curve, without it we're reduced down to 8 bit. Why does it make the image so dark though? Seems I need to do some more reading, because I'm not understanding entirely.

-4 outputs linear gamma output and 8 bits is not enough to deal with that, and besides, it conflicts with the sRGB model that we're using for post-processing, according to Elle.

Furthermore, she went on to say, when we remove that, we see that the images are not underexposed at all.

Upvote 0
-6 gives 16-bit layers, Elle said that -m 40 seemed unnecessary given that the images didn't look noisy - I couldn't resist, so I went for 10 iterations on the -m.

Note that -4 = -6 (16 bits) -W (suppress lightening) -g 1 1 (linear gamma)

And -q 3 (AHD interpolation) is the default - which I had stuck in my head wasn't, so just leave that off.

So, I did -

dcraw -v -m 10 -r 2.132583 1 1.480864 1 -6 -T IMAG0003-puppy.draw

Result, with no changes or edits -

14595880961_c4170bd9d4_b.jpg

Actual tiff - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MPU5MqABTXbWNWdXBJcl9rQmM/edit?usp=sharing

And I believe that you'll find the above is the same as -

dcraw -v -m 10 -r 2.132583 1 1.480864 1 -6 -T -H 2 IMAG0003-puppy.draw

Where -H is the highlight modifier.

Upvote 0
Here's a recap of the heavily processed photo from post 50, followed by the same using -

dcraw -v -m 10 -r 2.132583 1 1.480864 1 -6 -T -H 2 IMAG0007.draw

14400826130_8503b52a4a_b.jpg

14412684440_846015c265_b.jpg

I think the additional sky detail makes it pretty obvious that Elle was only 100% right (thank you Elle!).

Here's the full tiff of the second one, no other processing done.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MPU5MqABTXemRnWHJQdURReWM/edit?usp=sharing

Note - the building was shot with +1 EV because I'd thought from last week's trials it would need that. So, that's why it's a bit overexposed.

Upvote 0
Is there a 32-bit version of dcraw for windows? I'm trying my hand at this with my One SV (using the one s camera) I end up with a .draw file but I can't attempt to decode it since the computer I'm borrowing is old and 32-bit

PS - sorry for hijacking your thread I tried searching the thread(s) but all of my key words aren't long enough :eek:

Upvote 0
Nonsense from last week, followed by the new parameters (and no other editing).

14556332526_1aafb57461_o.png

14600836965_f13cf0a19c_o.png

And that ends my playing around with that building (and the crowd goes wild! lol).

Next time - more interesting subjects and I'm going to try my hand at my own color adjustments.

I'll be shooting some white stuff for reference, and just passing through dcraw with the -a param and seeing what r numbers it turns that into.

^Pro tip from Elle, fast way to get zero'd in just a bit until buying an IT8 test card.

Upvote 0
Is there a 32-bit version of dcraw for windows? I'm trying my hand at this with my One SV (using the one s camera) I end up with a .draw file but I can't attempt to decode it since the computer I'm borrowing is old and 32-bit

PS - sorry for hijacking your thread I tried searching the thread(s) but all of my key words aren't long enough :eek:

Do you have access to a compiler on that? I might be able to help you build one if so.

And if not - if you want to lay your draws on me, I'll give them a go for you.

Other option - got a fair sized spare USB stick handy?

How are you with Ubuntu?

The other option is to boot 32-bit Ubuntu from a live USB and go from there. It will be some work and a bit more if you're new to Linux.

PS - no worries on the hijack. :)

Upvote 0
I was studying the dcraw commands this after noon when I got called away. Can you believe they want me to actually work during work hours! Incredulous! :p

I'll give these parameters a go with the slew of other .draw files I've collected. I'm sure everyone is also tired of seeing the same photo of my pretty puppy. :D

We could quite possibly tweak the parameters in dcraw to output final quality images, no post editing. Dcraw is actually a more amazing application than I originally perceived.

Mind blown again!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm still fairly noobish when it comes to Linux :eek: but I am a quick learner. ;)
-no compiler
-PC only has 1gb of ram and a single core 1.6ghz processor ( :eek: )
-they have 90+% of the HDD full so dual boot isn't really an option
-I killed my only USB drive recently (by some unknown means)

Soooo... Basically I'm screwed unless I can find a 32-bit version (or finally get the $$ to get a new HDD for my computer)

Here is the link to the .draw

https://db.tt/K9oe2Ebq

Its nothing spectacular. I just wanted to see if it would work for my device. I took the "exact" same pic with my stock camera so I would be able too compare the results

Thanks for the offer to help. :) hopefully this yields positive results. I would love to be able to use this on my phone :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm still fairly noobish when it comes to Linux :eek: but I am a quick learner. ;)
-no compiler
-PC only has 1gb of ram and a single core 1.6ghz processor ( :eek: )
-they have 90+% of the HDD full so dual boot isn't really an option
-I killed my only USB drive recently (by some unknown means)

Soooo... Basically I'm screwed unless I can find a 32-bit version (or finally get the $$ to get a new HDD for my computer)

Here is the link to the .draw

https://db.tt/K9oe2Ebq

Its nothing spectacular. I just wanted to see if it would work for my device. I took the "exact" same pic with my stock camera so I would be able too compare the results

Thanks for the offer to help. :) hopefully this yields positive results. I would love to be able to use this on my phone :)

I need to rebuild my dcraw, your camera is unknown to my copy.

Did you use FreeDCam? Other?

If other, do you have a link to it, or did you mod the camera yourself?

I don't have access to an SV anymore - what's the spec for the image size?

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
We could quite possibly tweak the parameters in dcraw to output final quality images, no post editing.

That's my target exactly.

And I think that last one I did of your puppy pretty much nailed it (I for one am not getting sick of him lol).

Try what I did on your other pics.

Did you synthesize your own -r values?

I'm thinking to do that for mine.

Once we have those down - or figure the best way for each individual to get there - we ought to be off to the races.

Upvote 0
I used the onesraw.apk (the one for the one s)
Link:
OneSRaw

The camera is a 5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus
Screenshot_2014-07-07-22-05-42_zps57qgcq86.png

I just figured since i have the One SV, I would give this version a go. I could try camera2 if you'd like

Ah - yeah, defcomg has added various cameras into dcraw but only publishes the original source and the compiled Windows.

No worries - I had to fix it for mine, I've shot him a note to get me what I need to fix it for yours.

Upvote 0
Hey Granite - want to see something dramatic with your puppy?

dcraw -v -m 10 -r 2.132583 1 1.480864 1 -6 -T -H 2 -g 2.7 2.5

:)

First thing tomorrow morning, I'll give these parameters a go. I left my laptop at work, which happens to have my environment for photo editing. :(

What I really need to do is get both computers up and running, then I'll be cooking with butter! :D

Upvote 0
Ah - yeah, defcomg has added various cameras into dcraw but only publishes the original source and the compiled Windows.

No worries - I had to fix it for mine, I've shot him a note to get me what I need to fix it for yours.

Ok, he got me what I asked for - but - that's not really compatible with your camera, I guess.

Taking a (pretty good) guess based on your spec and file sent, I built the first line - but his supports the second line -

Code:
{  6746112,2592,1944, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0x61,0,0,"HTC","OneSV" },
{ 10782464,3282,2448, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0x61,0,0,"HTC","OneS" },
The first 3 numbers are - raw file size, and x*y size.

So - please see if the other camera will work for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones