• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Razr M damage, can it be repaired?

gridbug

Jan 1, 2010
Addendum to my earlier post about screen being shattered and not having insurance, please see pic. The frame is dented and bent at the point of impact and while the display is useless, I can't tell if simply buying a new glass and top half of frame online would render my phone good as new. Any first hand experience with this?

Attachments

• deaddroid02small.jpg
    deaddroid02small.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 125
This is not a recommendation or an ad.

When I read your first thread I did a little looking and wound an interesting video on YouTube at ... Motorola Razr M Repair Directions | DirectFix - YouTube ... that will give you an idea of what is inside.

It looks like at least $100 for a screen and $5 for some special tools to do it yourself.

I found the video on what was there to be VERY interesting ... especially the battery.

... Thom

Upvote 0
This is not a recommendation or an ad.

When I read your first thread I did a little looking and wound an interesting video on YouTube at ... Motorola Razr M Repair Directions | DirectFix - YouTube ... that will give you an idea of what is inside.

I remember coming across that video when I was still in the process of deciding if I wanted to upgrade to a Razr M last year, it's excellent! Still not sure if it'd be worth the time or effort since I have no idea how extensive the damage is beneath the glass or how much all the parts etc would cost. Been checking eBay and I can probably get a like-new replacement for around the 300.00 mark... though with my IRS refund incoming, there's always the option to get a brand spanking new one from an official retailer. Expensive lesson to learn, but I learned it.

:)

Upvote 0
That company that posted the video had parts and tools to do it. The tools cost $3.00 the screen was $100.00 (I think).

$3 to inspect the innards for damage might be useful.

I'm on a Bionic today with a contract to May and an insurance policy. If I was forced to upgrade today it would be the Razr Maxx HD. I would rather wait to see what the Motorola X has to offer.

... Thom

Upvote 0
From elsewhere on the web:

"Ok guys, I hate to break the bad news to you, but I think have fixed many phones in my day and unfortunately that "glass lens" is meant for sale to manufacturers (like Samsung or whomever else makes the razr m's screen). The front "lens", or the digitizer touch display as its actually called, is fused together with both the led display and aluminum bezel in the factory. If you try to take them apart you'll find a certain clear oily liquid in between the digitizer glass and led display, kind of like mineral oil. You'll never be able to put the two together properly but moreover, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to get the old cracked digitizer and led display without doing further damage. Sorry but if you follow the link and order, you'll be wasting $20. Just thought I'd give you a friendly warning."

A replacement digitizer runs for 200 to 300 dollars, so a eBay replacement of the phone in its entirety seems to be the best solution so far, all things considered.

Upvote 0
Sorry it happened to you but it's one more reason I'm keeping mine in the Otter Box and not the thin ones that don't really protect it. OF course something falling directly on the screen will not be saved by any cover.
Hope you get it fixed or an inexpensive replacement.

Truly! It was a direct top-down hit in just the right spot so no matter what case I would have had it would have still been bad. And I'm usually so very careful about my electronics too...

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Truly! It was a direct top-down hit in just the right spot so no matter what case I would have had it would have still been bad. And I'm usually so very careful about my electronics too...

:rolleyes:

Just a note and a question - I have seen the screens on line for less than $20; but then there was still the replacement process.

Has anyone tried to use windshield repair kits on a cell phone's touch screen??

thx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones