• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

razr m dock...my solution

spork141

Oct 14, 2012
hey everyone...just deciding to post my solution for the fact that the razr m does not have a charging desktop dock..

Solution #1: buy this

Amazon.com: Cellet 267691 Universal Cradle Charger for HTC Smart Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

then when you get it youll notice the usb connection points your phone away from you....take a small screwdriver and pop off the bottom piece "glue holds it on one end" around the connector...flip the usb around....and put it back together gluing the pice back on the cradle...the usb part slides in and out a bit so you can zero in the best place for it

then go into smart actions and create an action to launch an app while powering (not docked)....theres plenty of apps in the app store but i used the regular clock app because it has root access and will work even when you have a password lock on your screen

it works well but its not so smooth where you can simply plop your phone down....you gotta do a little lining up of the usb on both the phone and dock...but once the phone is it it works fine....no audio but bluetooth though

solution#2" buy the smart charging dock (on ebay if possible)....i just use the cable that comes with it (it activates moto dock mode) and since its angled you can actually just plug your phone in and rest it on its own wire...the phone will lean at an angle and there will be no need to use the plastic stand that comes with it....this feature will not requie you to use the smart action as the cable already puts your phone in dock mode

well there it is...neither is clean but thats all i got....thanks!

There's a much simpler and cheaper way to make a dock for the Razr M. Get a piece of wood the size you'd like the dock to be (I used a chunk of 2x4 cut down to 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 5"). Cut an angled slot into the top face wide enough to allow the camera (and whatever hard shell might be attached) to slip in easily. Plug the USB connector from your wall-wart into the phone. Done.

But, you say, now the USB connector is in the top, not the bottom. Well, there's no such thing as the "top" or "bottom" of a phone that senses its orientation and flips the screen appropriately.

There is a downside, though. The phone doesn't know it's "docked", only that it's plugged in. So, you have to start the app (I use Dock Clock) manually, then slide the phone into the slot, and manually close the app when you remove it.

Upsides: I have a "real" dock for my Droid Bionic, and find the homemade stand much easier to use. It works no matter what kind of shell you have on the phone. And it's cheap, so you can have spares. I cut the slot into a long piece of wood using a table saw, and then just sliced off 5 docks, so I've got one on my desk, one at the bedside, one in my suitcase, and a couple I've inadvertantly left behind in motels.

Razr M stand.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones