Razr Maxx Charging ProblemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. bazkook

bazkook Member

Hi new member here. I am having some issues charging my Razr Maxx. A few days ago my phone starting having problems when charging with my wall charger. BTW, here is a link to the charger I have:

Verizon Wireless ECO Micro-USB Wall Charger with Extra Long Detachable Cord - Verizon Original EMICUSBDTVL

I left the phone on overnight a few nights ago and plugged in. When I got up, the charge had actually dropped 10 to 20% from the previous night's charge level. I have tried rebooting the phone and even performed a soft reset by holding the screen lock and volume down buttons but nothing has worked. I even tried charging the phone with the wall charger while it was off last night and the charge still dropped.
    The odd thing about the situation is that using the same cable from the wall charger, I am able to charge the phone just fine using my laptop. I am thinking I might need to get another wall charger or there is an issue with my phone. One small issue is that I bought the phone and charger used from a trusted individual, so I can't take the phone back to the Verizon store for replacement without buying a new phone. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. bazkook

bazkook Member

I found the USB wall charger from my old phone and used it to charge the Maxx successfully. I don't know what caused the new charger to suddenly mess up. Please disregard my initial post.
  3. bazkook

bazkook Member

The problem has started again. Left my phone on last night charging and it was nearly dead this morning. Plugged it in to my laptop and it is charging. Should I do a factory reset?
  4. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

you can try it, if that doesn't help you may need to head down to Verizon
  5. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

I use different chargers bc I have a lot of extras lying around and there are a few chargers that when I use them, the phone goes nuts, like i touch the top of the screen n it acts as if I touched the bottom, then goes nuts, starts turning gps and bluetooth off n on, thats weird!
  6. MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets Well-Known Member

I would suggest using a charger that is made for the Razr. Some of the other after market chargers do not work correctly.
  7. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Yes, It has been documented here, and I can confirm it as well, that some Razrs, while using other than the Motorola supplied charger, will act funny, while charging.

My Razr charges fine when using an HTC EVO wall charger, but it is virtually impossible to use the screen while it is charging. As soon as it is unplugged, it works fine. Not sure why this is exactly.
  8. bazkook

bazkook Member

The factory reset seemed to help. Others have suggested to do a factory reset before the ICS update. I didn't do that. My phone has the same problem occasionally with the screen not responding while charging, especially while connecting the phone to the computer with a data cable. I usually don't use my phone when it is charging anyway.
    It is charging fine now. I ordered an OEM Motorola charger though as a spare, just in case the problem returns.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.