• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root RB2BA026 need rooting?

Welcome to the forum!

I would have to ask what you want to achieve by rooting? Weird question I know, but the recommendation depends on what ultimately you want to use your phone for.

I am not rooted, my phone is on the same build as you 026, it works perfectly for my requirements... texting, browsing, Facebook, Twitter, email and oh yes the odd phone call. The only thing I would gain by rooting would be to get rid of the bloatware preinstalled on the phone that I don't use but I have dealt with that by using an app called ADW launcher and modifying my app drawer so I don't have to see them sitting there even tho they are still on the phone.

So perhaps if you can give a bit more information the other peeps out there can give you their view.

It would help if we knew where you were located and maybe what carrier you are with as this also affects whats on the phone and perhaps how quickly the 2.1 roll out may reach you. It is scheduled for end of October into November so not that long to wait now. Rooting won't get you 2.1 any quicker sadly.

Reactions: GS9000
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum!

I would have to ask what you want to achieve by rooting? Weird question I know, but the recommendation depends on what ultimately you want to use your phone for.

I am not rooted, my phone is on the same build as you 026, it works perfectly for my requirements... texting, browsing, Facebook, Twitter, email and oh yes the odd phone call. The only thing I would gain by rooting would be to get rid of the bloatware preinstalled on the phone that I don't use but I have dealt with that by using an app called ADW launcher and modifying my app drawer so I don't have to see them sitting there even tho they are still on the phone.

So perhaps if you can give a bit more information the other peeps out there can give you their view.

It would help if we knew where you were located and maybe what carrier you are with as this also affects whats on the phone and perhaps how quickly the 2.1 roll out may reach you. It is scheduled for end of October into November so not that long to wait now. Rooting won't get you 2.1 any quicker sadly.

I'm in AU, under Three. Well I thought you can ditch out unwanted apps that keeps hogging the memory (as i can see they all populate the memory when i run Task Killer). At one time, my memory available was about 74M but when i killed most loaded apps, i went to about 150M.

I'm also worried not to bin my warranty with the phone itself, if rooting affects it.

But thanks for your feedback, i am much convinced to wait anyway for the 2.1 which promises to give us more features plus speed. ;)

Upvote 0
Rooting is down to your nature.

I love to fiddle and tweak anything I can... Well within reason "Oh matron"

Rooting does enable you to remove apps and the main one I wanted to remove was "Face recognition" as it would try to recognise any face be it phone picture or web picture.

I dont think I will update straight away as now I'm rooted I have cleared the apps I dont need/use, installed another font and can run apps like Barnacle Wifi Tether that lets me use the phone as a wifi hotspot and can use multiple laptops via wifi running from the phone.

I use a dongle for internet at the beach which is where I work and have found that the X10 used as a router is faster than my dongle so I just put the sim card in the phone and run it that way :)

Reactions: GS9000
Upvote 0
Rooting is down to your nature.

I love to fiddle and tweak anything I can... Well within reason "Oh matron"

Rooting does enable you to remove apps and the main one I wanted to remove was "Face recognition" as it would try to recognise any face be it phone picture or web picture.

I dont think I will update straight away as now I'm rooted I have cleared the apps I dont need/use, installed another font and can run apps like Barnacle Wifi Tether that lets me use the phone as a wifi hotspot and can use multiple laptops via wifi running from the phone.

I use a dongle for internet at the beach which is where I work and have found that the X10 used as a router is faster than my dongle so I just put the sim card in the phone and run it that way :)

Thanks guys...:D I was wondering why I cant do sideloads (eg. using AndroidSideloaderWM)? I always get an error in DOS, like the batch file cannot load. Hmm, yeah I am a bit of a guy who fiddles with most of my gadgets. :rolleyes:

Opppss, Cubz already mentioned on the other thread that it does not need to be rooted, hmm, what seems to be the problem...fiddle..fiddle...fiddle...

Upvote 0
I am also the type that loves to fiddle and tweak things, the only reason I will not root my phone is because I do not want to void my warranty, and although I have heard it can be reversed, I don't like to take the chance incase i muck things up :rolleyes:

Feeling the same CuBz, its just a new sign-up, so it may only be worth if it is really stable. Oh well, it is just a few weeks to wait anyway for the upgrade.

thanks guys! :cool:

Upvote 0
Feeling the same CuBz, its just a new sign-up, so it may only be worth if it is really stable. Oh well, it is just a few weeks to wait anyway for the upgrade.

thanks guys! :cool:

I decided to root last night as I really needed the wifi tether app which was only available for rooted phones. But it was as easy as flushing the toilet :D I just loaded the x10root.apk onto my phone, and used ASTRO file manager to install it. Then I opened the app, and just pressed 'Root', then it rooted and asked me to restart :) it's as simple as that :)

Upvote 0
Oooh Cubz, I am dead impressed. I still haven't plucked up the courage. Have you since deleted your crap ware on there? I am tempted by the wifi tethering... I'll let you beat the path and then I can follow at an easy pace afterwards.

No i'm not removing anything, I don't want to risk messing anything up lol. The only reason I decided to root was because it was as simple as istalling an app, thus me not ruining anything :D

I only did it for the extra apps :D I also believe there is an app on the market called Universal Androot which also roots your phone by the click of a button :), but I only noticed that after I had installed X10Root.apk

I have had no problems so far

Upvote 0
I take it you did the one click root not the full root from the lads at XDA?

The only issue I have had since rooting is that when the phone roams to another network I have to manually set it back to 3 the rest of the phone has been fine, here is a list taken from the code of what I removed:
@adb shell rm /system/app/off*
@adb shell rm /system/app/play*
@adb shell rm /system/app/track*
@adb shell rm /system/app/EManual*
@adb shell rm /system/app/SemcIME*
@adb shell rm /system/app/AndroidQuadrapop*
@adb shell rm /system/app/SEMCTouchPal*
@adb shell rm /system/app/se-supp*
@adb shell rm /system/app/Fota*
@adb shell rm /system/app/Launch*
@adb shell rm /system/app/mox*
@adb shell rm /system/app/FaceRecognition*
@adb shell rm /data/app/*.zip
@adb shell rm -r /etc/semc/startupshow
@adb shell rm -r /etc/semc/preset/app

But I had a slight accident today so the phone dont work, it got ran over :(

Upvote 0
No i'm not removing anything, I don't want to risk messing anything up lol. The only reason I decided to root was because it was as simple as istalling an app, thus me not ruining anything :D

I only did it for the extra apps :D I also believe there is an app on the market called Universal Androot which also roots your phone by the click of a button :), but I only noticed that after I had installed X10Root.apk

I have had no problems so far

I already downloaded that UnivAndroot but was not able to install it cuz I do not have yet any file manager installed either. I was trying so much for the Sideloader, but i cant make the pc recognize the X10. Im still roaming, so I am also thinking whats mentioned by powerkiter as i am also in 3.

However, I did already rooted my Galaxy S, and after checking its performance via Quadrant, the graph previously showed my test of 850M to 2300M, and the speed has been amazing. X10 on standard graph is just about 560M.

Upvote 0
Powerkiter: :eek: That's horrible. How'd that happen?

Everyone else: So...rooting does void the warranty? Have there been any confirmations about unrooting? It's tempting to get rid of all of the crap ATT puts on the phones....Can people with att even root their phones safely? I know that different carriers have different effects.

I was able to unroot when I rooted with the X10Root.apk, it was as simple as the click of a button

I already downloaded that UnivAndroot but was not able to install it cuz I do not have yet any file manager installed either. I was trying so much for the Sideloader, but i cant make the pc recognize the X10. Im still roaming, so I am also thinking whats mentioned by powerkiter as i am also in 3.

Search the market for 'universal Androit' it is available for me, but I am unsure if it will be available to you

Upvote 0
Really? So, how do you unroot? Also, when you unrooted, did all of the crapware come back?

Well I didn't root to remove any of that as I havn't done enough research of how to do it etc, so I don't want to risk messing things up, also I don't see the point, when I'll have to do it all again after the 2.1 update. Besides, they don't bother me anyway :D

I only rooted so I could use the screenshot and wifi tether apps. (I am going on holiday so I need the wifi tether app)

Anyway, I rooted using the x10root.apk, and then unrooted (just to make sure I could) then rooted again :rolleyes:

To unroot, all I had to do was open the X10Root app on my Xperia, then press 'Unroot' then about 10 seconds later it asked me to restart, I restarted and it was unrooted :)

Upvote 0
Well I didn't root to remove any of that as I havn't done enough research of how to do it etc, so I don't want to risk messing things up, also I don't see the point, when I'll have to do it all again after the 2.1 update. Besides, they don't bother me anyway :D

I only rooted so I could use the screenshot and wifi tether apps. (I am going on holiday so I need the wifi tether app)

Anyway, I rooted using the x10root.apk, and then unrooted (just to make sure I could) then rooted again :rolleyes:

To unroot, all I had to do was open the X10Root app on my Xperia, then press 'Unroot' then about 10 seconds later it asked me to restart, I restarted and it was unrooted :)

Exactly my point mate, if you can live with the apps, then rooting it might just as well wait for the 2.1 in a couple of weeks as we will have to re-install most apps all over again. Sorry CuBz, but what does wifi tethering do? is it different from our wifi installed or just makes connection better? If so, how do you do that after rooting?

Upvote 0
Exactly my point mate, if you can live with the apps, then rooting it might just as well wait for the 2.1 in a couple of weeks as we will have to re-install most apps all over again. Sorry CuBz, but what does wifi tethering do? is it different from our wifi installed or just makes connection better? If so, how do you do that after rooting?

I use the Barnacle Wifi Thethering app, it turns my Xperia into a wifi hotspot, allowing me to connect to it from my laptop via WIFI so I can connect to the internet on my laptop, wherever I go :)

Upvote 0
I use the Barnacle Wifi Thethering app, it turns my Xperia into a wifi hotspot, allowing me to connect to it from my laptop via WIFI so I can connect to the internet on my laptop, wherever I go :)

Oh i see, doesnt that incur additional charges? or just for browsing and no downloads... will it also work if you are just on roaming?

Upvote 0
Barnacal will even host a PS3,

I have now got home wifi but used to run the sim card from my dongle in my old :( X10 and would link me and my gf's laptops to it and would also use it at the beach to take transaction payments for my school.

It's been less than 24 hours and I miss my X10 so much!!! :(

As for rooting I have no idea about these one click roots but the root method available over on XDA.com starts the root with flashing a generic ROM of the SE Android 1.6 OS so that alone gets rid of any bloat ware then you can leave it there or follow the rest of the root to remove even more crap from SE.

To un-root you just re-flash the generic ROM again, there are generic ROMs for X10i's and X10a's.

I can see no reason why you cant flash an AT&T phone with the generic X10a ROM to free it from AT&T's lock down...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones