RC30 to RC29 (root) downgrade now!

Last Updated:

1. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Anyone try this yet? I used to NBH flash my Windows Mobile devices all the time. This bootloader looks JUST LIKE the bootloader on those devices. I guess it's all HTC, so...

3. devolio

I'm going to try it soon, once my G1 is completely charged up. I'll let you all know. :D I've heard it's confirmed though, so not worried. :)

4. Mi|enko

Mi|enko Well-Known Member

Just got done. RC30 OTA>RC29>Rooted>Installed JF's 1.3>Installed Engineering Bootloader>Installed JF's ADP1 1.3 (Frickin' hate the preinstalled TMo apps).

Had me kinda freaked at first, but using the Android-dl wiki set me straight. :) All in all, this took a couple hours (between reading, understanding, and doing), so make sure you have some time and can do it all uninterrupted, so you don't have to worry about continuing where you left off.

5. devolio

Just got done as well, CONFIRMED :D you can even activate your phone without a sim or service.

6. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

When I had my htc wing I would try out custom roms all the time. I'm still wondering what the benifit of having root is. Aside from being able to move some cache data to the sd card is there any substantial reason to risk bricking my phone. Please let me know what I can gain from root.

7. devolio

Themes, boot screen, custom images, tons more functionality (auto-rotate, screenshots, etc). As long as your battery is charged and you don't do anything stupid, there's almost 0 risk.

8. devolio

Anyone familiar with xda-developers will be able to do this no problem, but I'm also writing up a full guide on going from OTA RC30 to a custom JF RC30 with dev bootloader.

9. Loomis2

Loomis2 Well-Known Member

Good, I haven't tried anything like this before. I'm almost talking myself out of it at least until the cupcake update happens to see what gets included into that, cause if I brick my phone I won't know what to do with myself. A guide would at least be nice to have handy and maybe help sway my mind one way or the other.

10. Mi|enko

I <3 XDA. :) On top of the ADP1 1.3 install and the dev bootloader, I just changed the splash screen. :-D Now all I need is for the themes that are made to be updated to allow install on ADP1 w/o causing an infinite reboot loop.

I'm sure there are quite a few people that'll appreciate the walkthrough devolio. . . as today I'm sure there's been a huge surge of people wanting to "root" it up.

11. lenny3683

lenny3683 Member

so what exactly does this do? Does it give us RC30 with root or what? Still unsure what is exactly going on here.:confused:

12. Mi|enko

Exactly. Downgrade to RC29, get root, then install JF's 1.3 RC30 (or ADP1). That'll give you root access as well. Additionally, you can also install the dev bootloader.

13. JackD3ath

JackD3ath Member

I agree loomis, I am anxiously awaiting a link to devolio's tutorial.

This is a great turn of events, but i knew it was only a matter of time. Thanx for all the hard work!