Re: a better way to unlcok the droid when it sleepsSupport

Last Updated:

1. mayo

mayo Member This Topic's Starter

i hate having to press that button at the top to reactivate it when it times out
    is there anyway to make the screen or one of the buttons on the bottom do this

waking it up to then have to slide and unlock it seems silly

Advertisement
  2. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

You really wouldn't want this... your phone would always activate in your pocket due to the touch sensitive buttons on the front. Your display would always be on and it would kill your battery.

That being said, if you just slide the phone or press any button on the physical keyboard, it should reactivate the display as well without pressing the top button.

:)

3. fumoh

fumoh Member

Agreed. One of my favorite features of Android is the slide to unlock. I had tons of issues with my old LG Dare unlocking in my pocket. Drove me nuts :)

4. ldougherty

ldougherty Well-Known Member

I'd like an option of quick lock/unlock that I can use for when my Droid isn't in my pocket.

What would be great is if you could set the default lock/unlock to only lock/unlock by pressing the top button and then add an additional app for a quick lock.

Then you could lock your phone yourself using the top button whenever you put it in your pocket and use the quick unlock feature the rest of the time.

5. mayo

mayo Member This Topic's Starter

the top button is just really inconvenient
    even if it were one of the other buttons on the side it would be much better

you dont pull your phone out of your pocket bythe top/bottom

6. Jaxx10

Jaxx10 Well-Known Member

You can change the amount of time it takes to blackout ur screen .... in settings ...

settings -> sounds n displays> screen timeout to change ur screen timeouts

7. RossLH

RossLH Active Member

I'd like to be able to unlock the phone just by sliding the keyboard out, rather than sliding the keyboard out then having to unlock the screen. Is there a way to achieve this?

8. centax1

centax1 Active Member

I'm the complete opposite I want only the button on top to turn it on cause it keeps sliding the keyboard out in my pocket then somehow unlocking it's self. So I tried using an unlock pattern all that did was make it try and make emergency calls.

9. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

I saw someone mention an app that does this... however I dont recall the name

10. JB4times4

JB4times4 Well-Known Member

I have the EXACT same problem, I pull my phone out half opened, and when I had an unlock pattern I would pull my phone out to see the emergency dialer. I wish the phone locked into place more then it does at the bottom, it stays locked when slid open.

11. mcw016

mcw016 New Member

ScreenModeWidget will let you cycle through normal, stay awake, and screen awake. I think this is the best option for me. I don't want to have to keep unlocking it when I'm not putting my phone in my pocket.

12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Last three comments for this app (ScreenModeWidget) relate problems when using it on the DROID

13. mcw016

mcw016 New Member

After using it some, it definitely isn't stable. When you first enable it everything is fine but as soon as you use something else it becomes unresponsive. Removing the widget then adding it again temporarily bring back functionality. Since I'll only need to change the setting twice a day it's not as big of an annoyance as having to wake and unlock every time I pick it up.

14. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hmmm, now that I think about it - wonder if Locale can accomplish this somehow....

15. jothen2002

jothen2002 New Member

I noticed that after I was on the phone for about 20 min (longest call so far with droid) my screen which blacked out, as it should would not turn back on even after trying all the usual buttons. I had to pull out the battery.:confused: How normal is this? How many times should I be willing to put up with it..Once seems too many already. Has this happened to anyone else with this phone?

16. mcw016

mcw016 New Member

Ok I found another option. Using dockrunner (the app that simulates the home docking station screen) the phone doesn't lock itself and the screen reactivates with press of any hard key. Works pretty well.

17. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

Yup... I contribute it to the home screen apps.

Mine was also on a fairly lengthy (20 min or so...) call

I'll be removing them all and trying them 1 by 1 for stability.

18. mobile1

mobile1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me given I have a slight disability due to a woodworking accident when I was younger. It causes me some trouble but I figure I will have to live with it.