• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

re Android 4.0 desktop

westwj

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
I got the impression from some articles I read that all Android 4.0 devices (including phones) could be set up as a desktop computer with a keyboard, mouse and external monitor (as long as they have a hdmi port). So far the no-name adroid phone I purchased on Ebay has been very disappointing. The hdmi port allows the monitor to be displayed on my monitor, but only in a narrow strip down the middle with the same resolution as the phone. Even videos (using .vob and mp4 files will only display in this format. There does not seem to be any way to change that, which raises the question of why have an hdmi port anyway?
When I plug keyboard and mouse into usb port there is no response. I haven't even been able to get the bluetooth keyboard to work.
By contrast, I have a Rikomagic mk802 devices with Android 4.0 and it works fine with all the monitors, keyboards and mouses that I have thrown at it.
Any thoughts?

I've heard of this as well (actually read a review of it), though this is installing android on a full blown laptop or desktop.

I believe it's called the Android x86 project. Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

Not to bash them or anything like that at all, but I do remember the last review I read wasn't too favorable. But you know, that's just one guy's take on it. If it looks like something you'd like, give it a whirl. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones