• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RE: Delay, notifications, speculation...

twistedlim

Android Expert
Jun 9, 2010
I signed up for early notification for both the iphone and the thunderbolt. Before the Iphone was release I received an email letting me know I could preorder in a few days. I must assume they will follow the same protocal with the TB which means...no email...no annoncement...no phone. There is absolutly nothing from verizon stating exactly when the phone will be released.
BB started the early preorder but it was most likely based on information received from verizon months ago when they purchased all the add time you for the phone you see running now. Not really BBs fault. They had to go with what they were given from verizon. It was probably too late for big red tro pull their adds from TV also.
When will it come? Who knows? They might not even make the first quarter like they first indicated. No promises were made other than those poor souls who are taking 100 phone calls a day at BB.
I will feel confident about the release date when I get an email from verizon letting me know. Until then I am turning in my resignation of "team TB speculation" :)

VZW did not do the same for the Xoom, so I am assuming that what they did with the Xoom, they will do with the TB. The press release did not go out until Tuesday the 22nd. The Xoom was released on Thursday the 24th.

The iFruit is a totally different beast, so I wouldn't use the iFruit as a template for future releases, unless it's another iFruit.

IMHO, look for the TB press release to go out tomorrow with a release this coming Thursday.

Upvote 0
And what do you base this speculation on? I was guarenteed the phone would be in the 14th when I placed my preorder. There is nothing released by verizon to back your claim.

And that is why in my original reply, I said "IMHO". However, I am basing this on the series of tweets released by Black_Man_X regarding the state of the Thunderbolts. His messages appear to indicate that the TB is getting released this week or perhaps next week. Based on the history of releases made by VZW, and based on BMX's tweets, I am inclined to believe that the press release will go out tomorrow and be released on Thursday.

The earlier guarantees you have received did not have as strong of a backing from other VZW insiders as this upcoming release date has.

Upvote 0
And that is why in my original reply, I said "IMHO". However, I am basing this on the series of tweets released by Black_Man_X regarding the state of the Thunderbolts. His messages appear to indicate that the TB is getting released this week or perhaps next week. Based on the history of releases made by VZW, and based on BMX's tweets, I am inclined to believe that the press release will go out tomorrow and be released on Thursday.

The earlier guarantees you have received did not have as strong of a backing from other VZW insiders as this upcoming release date has.

Seems folks are reading too much into his tweets:

1. Why the sudden drop of ads? TV ads and circulars have vanished, save for a stray BB ad last week.

2. Nothing has shipped yet (per VZW rep)

3. Nothing announced by VZW

4. More reports of delays and none about shipping or firm dates. In fact, if we look at the info, there are FAR more rumors/reports of delays than anything else.

How can anybody read "shipping this week" out of all of this? Even BMX back peddled on his last tweet, stating he did not say a ship date.

What part of- it probably ain't happening this week- is hard for folks to accept?

My guess was March 7th and I doubt that is happening.

Upvote 0
1) I think you are reading too much into the ads being pulled thing. We don't know why the ads are being pulled. Maybe because they are editing the ads to say "Available Now"? Maybe they want people to focus on the Xoom and don't have enough time slots for the TB? Whatever you and I say is pure speculation.

2) I didn't say anything about VZW shipping the TB now. I don't have that information, and anything short of a press release is again pure speculation.

3) This is where you and I agree. Until VZW releases a press release, it's nothing but pure speculation. That's why I said IMHO.

4) There may be that there were more rumors about device fixes and delays, but the tide is turning. I am now hear more rumors about the impending release than about device fixes and delays.

And BMX's tweets, at least to me, is solid gold. He tests those phones for a living, and while his tweets can be cryptic, this is because he does not want to make things obvious to anyone to preserve his future with VZW. Maybe I'm reading into his tweets incorrectly, but I don't think I am.

What part of having a possible release this week is hard for YOU to accept?

Upvote 0
1) I think you are reading too much into the ads being pulled thing. We don't know why the ads are being pulled. Maybe because they are editing the ads to say "Available Now"? Maybe they want people to focus on the Xoom and don't have enough time slots for the TB? Whatever you and I say is pure speculation.

2) I didn't say anything about VZW shipping the TB now. I don't have that information, and anything short of a press release is again pure speculation.

3) This is where you and I agree. Until VZW releases a press release, it's nothing but pure speculation. That's why I said IMHO.

4) There may be that there were more rumors about device fixes and delays, but the tide is turning. I am now hear more rumors about the impending release than about device fixes and delays.

And BMX's tweets, at least to me, is solid gold. He tests those phones for a living, and while his tweets can be cryptic, this is because he does not want to make things obvious to anyone to preserve his future with VZW. Maybe I'm reading into his tweets incorrectly, but I don't think I am.

What part of having a possible release this week is hard for YOU to accept?

Nothing supports a release this week. Not happening IMO. Look on the positive- You have real steak & cheese hoagies where you live. The secret is the cheese wiz :)

Oops- Thought you were in Philly... Steelers are cool- you've got that!

Upvote 0
I'm optimistically assuming that is true, and that he's just stirring the pot a bit and getting a chuckle out of what happens.

He was getting reamed on Androidcentral after his tweet over the weekend saying that the Thunderbolt was "signed off" and ready to go (and, significantly, NOT announcing WHEN it would be released).

So, now I think he is tweeting some crazy stuff to stir the pot ...

Upvote 0
He was getting reamed on Androidcentral after his tweet over the weekend saying that the Thunderbolt was "signed off" and ready to go (and, significantly, NOT announcing WHEN it would be released).

So, now I think he is tweeting some crazy stuff to stir the pot ...

Better watch out with what you say. BMX got _extremely_ pissed that people were claiming he was 'stirring the pot' with his other posts. One of the reasons he ended up going private.

Upvote 0
just to screw with people who have no patience and cling to every bit of info they read on the thunderbolt?

How is that not "stirring the pot"? Seems a self-fulfilled result.

BMX seems upset that people took his tweets as the device is shipping. Based on VZW pulling ads (TB ads went from everywhere to nowhere) and VZW posting a detail free note today- seems the TB is a bit away yet. Anywhere from two weeks to end of month now seems to fit better than "this week".

Upvote 0
And BMX tweeted this morning:

black_man_x The Greatest Trick Verizon Ever Pulled was telling the world the Thunderbolt existed...... have a good day all and I will holla later on.

Not sure what to make of that...
:eek:

OK - it helps to be VERY familiar with the movie, The Usual Suspects.

If you're not, watch it, it's quite good.

Trying to explain without spoiling, the original quote was - The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

BMX is clearly a movie fan (see his earlier homage to Thunderbirds Are Go! movie).

In my opinion, what he just said was - things may not appear to be what they are, but if you pause and consider, things are obvious.

And for it's worth - that movie quote came in two places - once, slipped in, once at the end of the movie.

I don't think he's jerking anyone around - I think he takes what burden he can, and leaves a little fun for puzzle solvers. Nothing wrong with that.

;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones