• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Re-Naming Nandroids?

All, FYI: I added a Nandroid backup verification function to my AFV (Android File Verifier) app [free in the Android Market].

It does a couple of things for you:

1. Checks that the name of the directory containing the nandroid.md5 file does not have any wonky characters (like space, ampersands, etc.) that might cause custom recovery or the nandroid-mobile.sh script to have problems.

2. Verifies the MD5 checksums of the files listed in the nandroid.md5 file. Even though nandroid-mobile.sh does this before restoring a backup, you can do it after you've made your backup for extra warm and fuzzies ;).

3. For Nandroid backups whose base directory is /sdcard/nandroid/SERIALNO, it verifies the SERIALNO against your actual device's serial number to ensure that your custom recovery will be able to find the Nandroid backups. This is the naming format for Amon_RA's custom recovery's Nandroid backup directories. I don't have custom recovery on my Droid X, so I don't know for sure if this is the same naming standard used by Koush's ClockworkMod (let me know if/what it is and I'll support a check for this too).

Anyway, to do these checks, just download AFV, launch it, use the Select File button to navigate to your Nandroid backup directory. Select and long-press the nandroid.md5 file and select Verify Nandroid Backup.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Reactions: mxsjw
Upvote 0
All, FYI: I added a Nandroid backup verification function to my AFV (Android File Verifier) app [free in the Android Market].

It does a couple of things for you:
<snip>

I saw it show up in the recent section of the market and downloaded your app a couple days ago...really cool, thanks.
It does all the above AND has a super sweet looking icon in the app drawer :D

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones