• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Re-Rooting after 4.4.2 Update

ghost915

Nov 20, 2011
Spring Hill, FL USA
For those of you looking for the right way to re-root after getting the new update to 4.4.2 or just buying this phone and wanna root it follow this step by step and you'll have root.

First off I wanna say Thank You to Super R for putting this together for us, if he did not we would not have root again. So Thank You Sir.

Now I had some trouble doing this but after playing around with it a bit I finally got root back. So this method does work, just follow along and no worries. I am going to add in what I did to get mine rooted.

Root Instructions for full stock 4.4.2 devices

Download the Warp 4G Unbrick tool iso
Download SuperSU.zip and put it on the sdcard of your device
(optional - only if you want to install PhilZ too) Download PhilZ_recovery.zip and put it on the sdcard of your device

Step 1)

Enable USB debugging on your device - go to Settings > About phone. Tap on SW version several times until it says you are a developer. Hit back to get to the main settings, choose Developer options, check USB debugging, agree to the terms.

Step 2)

Use your favorite burning software to burn the iso image to cd. ImgBurn for windows is nice because it is free, easy, and effective. Personally I make bootable usb flash drives instead of cd's. There is a program called Unetbootin that makes the process very easy. Once the cd is burned or the USB flash drive is created, put it in your pc and reboot. Enter into your pc bios and change the boot order making the cd drive/flash drive the first to boot. Normally to get into pc bios, you need to press one of the following: del, f2, f10, or f12. It depends on the pc but it is usually right after the pc starts and it will say on the screen which one to press.

Step 3)

Plug in your device to the usb port.

Step 4 )

Open the folder marked My Documents
Then Choose ZTE_Unbrick_Tool
Right click on partitions folder
Left click on Open in Terminal

Step 5)

Type the following in the terminal:
adb reboot bootloader
(you will need to accept something on the device at this point or it will say the device is unauthorized)

(Also your phone will show a black screen saying "Downloading don't turn off", it will be some kinda of script font. Leave it alone, it's ready for Phil's Touch Wiz to be installed on it)

Step 6)

Once you are in bootloader type:
fastboot boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img
(this will boot your device into PhilZ recovery. It will not install it, just boot to it. You will have the ability to use it as normal until you reboot)

(optional) Flash PhilZ_recovery.zip like a normal ROM on your device to install PhilZ
Flash SuperSU.zip like a normal ROM on your device. Reboot your device and enjoy root :)

And make sure you back up your phone before you do anything else.

Again BIG Thanks too SUPER R this is his work NOT mine. I'm just trying to make it easyer for those of us not really skilled in doing this stuff a lot.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: thowersome
Open the terminal from the black icon on the bottom left of the pc desktop
Type:
cd /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions$

(side note Super R forgot to type in the $ that is where my trouble was coming from, I found this by doing the following step)

Or you can do what I did here -

Step 4 A )

Open the folder marked My Documents
Then Choose ZTE_Unbrick_Tool
Right click on partitions folder
Left click on Open in Terminal
Thanks for re-posting this. I did not forget the $, and it will not work if you do it. Step 4A should be used to avoid confusion so you may want to edit your post and just remove step 4 ;)

edit: I edited my original post to reflect the change and avoid confusion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones