Re-send a failed SMS

Last Updated:

1. ccomley

ccomley Member This Topic's Starter

With any other phone, if an SMS fails to send due to no signal, it stays in the outbox, and is automatically retried when there's a signal again.

So why not on Hero? I tried to send a message just now, it failed. When I find a signal... nothing happens. MOREOVER, when I bring up the failed message, and hit SEND, it says "invalid content"... I eventaully worked out this is because it doesn't think I'm re-sending the failed message, it thinks I'm trying to "REPLY" to it with a fresh message.

Is there any way to resolve this very basic issue?

Advertisement
  2. MarDoubleT

MarDoubleT Active Member

You need to long-press on the message to bring up the menu where you can hit 'retry sending' or something like that. Auto-send would be good though - my old Sony Ericsson W760 did that even.

3. ccomley

ccomley Member This Topic's Starter

Bingo!

Thaniks MDT - I thought I tried that but I found what I really needed was EvenLongerHold! Then up she came. Yep - my last phone was a Sony too - W850i - I disliked a lot about it but autmatically sending outbox items when a signal came along was pretty sane - I'm surprised this isn't default behaviour. But then I live in a patch-cover area.

I even - gasp - read the manual - not a HINT of a clue of this in there!!!

Cheers.

4. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

I think on 2.1 ROM's it does autosend a failed message

5. amnesia

amnesia Well-Known Member

I have noticed this too, when on a train with dodgy signal strength. I am using Handcent and have noticed that the circular timer continues to spin once the signal comes back. I have always resorted to rebooting as this then seems to send the unsent message.

I will try a longer press and see if Handcent will then send it.

Cheers !

6. zark

zark Member

For failed messages in Handcent, I long press the message. Press 'edit' and then resend.
    Sometimes takes half a dozen attempts though, even if signal is shown? :confused:

7. Donnelly

Donnelly Member

For Handcent press;

Menu > More > Undelivered Messages

from there you should be able to try resending by either long-pressing or one of the options in there (sorry, not got any unsent messages in there to test at the moment).

Would certainly save on the whole "Edit to resend" thing =)

8. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

I am using a 2.1 ROM (SlideVillain) with handcent and mine will keep attempting to send the message until it is successful. Not sure if it is 2.1 or Handcent that allows this but just as an FYI.

9. HER0

HER0 Active Member

Oops, I have been long holding, copy all and then pasting and sending the new message again, then deleting the old one that wont send, in Handcent.

I can't wait to have a phone where i can type a message and press send without having to hold the phone by its top corner before sending, just to get signal. So damn annoying.

10. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

I agree that the handling of unsent texts on my Hero is far less simple than my previous phones (Nokia mostly). Never sure whether it's a Handcent, Android, hTC or service issue though. Recently I've noticed that some text claim to have been sent, but never get to a recipient, while others claim to fail having arrived multiple times?! Those issues have been while roaming however, so I'll assume them to be at least partly service issues.