Re-write protected NFC tags?

Last Updated:

1. Itsme2ngy

Itsme2ngy Well-Known Member

Hello all,

So I bought some NFC tags on Amazon the other days. I use NFC Task Launcher to write them with some data and accidentally make one of them a read-only tag. The thing is the data inside this tag is not even complete and I need to re-write it. However, every time I try to re-write this tag the application says error this tag is read-only and cannot write data.

Can someone please help me to delete the data on this read-only tag and make it write-able again? I don't want to throw them away because they are kinda expensive.

Please please please help :confused::confused:

Many thanks

2. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this, but you made it so that the tag can no longer be written to or erased. It is permanently set that way.
  3. korrupTed

korrupTed Well-Known Member

Ouch. In those cases, there is no way to format these NFC tags at all? How much did it cost you?
    Maybe you could put magnets to it or something, but that might destroy the tag all together
  4. Itsme2ngy

Oh my, then I guess I'll have to throw that one away! This is what happens when children play with knife hmmmm... :'(

@korrupTed they were
  5. korrupTed

korrupTed Well-Known Member

I just remembered my prof said before that anything that has some form of electricity can be affected by magnets in some level. I know NFC generates an RF field whenever communicating with the tag, so I figured it was running on wireless electricity. haha. Still, before you throw it out, it might be worth the experiment. You might just get to keep it. ;)
  6. Itsme2ngy

Just now gave it a shot, nothing change haha. In the bin it goes :D
  7. bushy101985

bushy101985 New Member

Is there a way to reset a chip to its default r/w so you can use it for another use such as a key card for a new lock or a transit card as a key card?

I want to rewrite a san diego compass card as an nfc password for my phone like swipe a certain # of times or only mine works for my phone. And I can make them for others.
  8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Afaik "locked" NFC tags can only be unlocked by the device that locked them originally.
  9. juanasteves

juanasteves New Member

As per my views, NFC tags can be modified again and again and honestly saying that they are much quicker as well. There is also another fact that you need to start an application for this and need to scan it thoroughly.
  10. Exoyds

Exoyds New Member

How would one unlock a NFC tag/card? I have accidentally wrote a bin file containing a no key write ACL on a single block and I cannot figure out a way to restore it rather than wiping the card through other means than software.