Reaching out to the Andro-Forums CommunitySupport

Last Updated:

1. Cry0g3n1c

Cry0g3n1c Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've had my beloved Dinc since launch day, and I still feel lost in the android universe... I'm coming from an Omnia, and this is a very different community and style of operating system... Thank god, WinMo is horrific. But now that I've made the switch and have gotten over my rom addiction (till root ;)) I need help. There seems to be to much crap, and I can't filter through it... There is apparently roughly 3 million android market sites out there, :eek:. But I guess I should be using appbrain.com? But it seems to be a pretty pathetic design as far as sorting goes... Just to give you guys a picture of how lost in this ocean I am, I think I have 4 file explorers, 10+ ring tone programs, 3 task killers, etc.... There is just way too much utter crap, its starting to remind me of the appstore... I feel like I'm in iFart app land! :eek:

So, I'm reaching out to you guys to help me out... Maybe throw up some appbrain.com app lists on here? Give me some helpful tips? Recommend your favorite software? Anything really! :rolleyes:

Ps... I love this phone, and I'm really loving android, so please don't flame me, I'm just feeling like a lost child in a crapware world... :eek:

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

GrandMasterB's Apps on the phone

That was the current list for my Moto Droid. I have not yet updated for my Incredible but that gives you a good idea of the last 7 months of sifting through markets apps for me. I have also since then purchased the full version of Tower Raiders Gold, a must for me but most likely useless for you ;)

Cry0g3n1c likes this.
  3. androy

androy Well-Known Member

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Here is my list. I am also coming from an Omnia, and I feel that with my current set-up, the only thing I am missing from WinMo is Wifi Router (which comes with tether)

I am using the native tethering option. Just search "Tether Natively" in this forum and you'll find it. It's free, no 3rd party apps, and all it requires is a free, easily accessible driver.

Cry0g3n1c likes this.
  5. GrandMasterB

WOW, I thought I was in to my apps alot at $85 but you easily trumped it with your wopping $118.53 :eek: Damn B!

I had an Omnia 7 devices ago. It was a sweet device :)

6. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

7. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

Coming from BB, that's nothing (LOL). Garmin($99) +Docs-to-go($59) put me over $150.

8. necosino

I also got Where's My Droid (the donated version for like $1.99) but uninstalled it was a bit buggy. I replaced it with Mobile Defense.

All-in-all, I think I have actually spent like $10 on apps.. :)

9. GrandMasterB

Crazy. I had a Pearl a Curve and a Storm and $6 total invested in the blackberry market. :)

10. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

If you're fairly new to Android, I would recommend getting rid of all task killers. If not under strict control, they can cause far more harm than good. You should only be force closing an app if it is truly stuck running. ( EX: Awake and up time are the same. ) or if it's just stuck, etc. If the app is not having problems, when not in use it will run down to using 0 cpu, so just force closing it is using more resources than the program. NTM the force close does not properly clean things up... you should always look for a close/exit option in any programs that are remaining active.

To force close an app, just go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications. Then you can press Menu-> Filter -> Running to see only running apps to help find the one you want to close. Just select the app, and go down to Force Stop. If that's too much work...you've got other problems, as you shouldn't have that many apps crashing:)

Just my .02 on that anyways.

Cry0g3n1c likes this.
  11. Cry0g3n1c

12. Cry0g3n1c

Thanks, is there a link to the thread? That is a big issue for me! I love wmwifirouter, great piece of software IMHO...

13. Cry0g3n1c

Thanks man, I've been reading ALOT on that and seems to be a lot of conflicting info... I have noticed the resource management is quite good... BUT I have definitely experienced some significant slow down... which I'm contributing to poorly written apps... Something I hope to solve with this thread...

14. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Hop Devil is definitely one of my favorite IPAs. mmmmmmmm

15. Cry0g3n1c

Yea, I love it, especially if you like to spend alot of time in the 'kitchen' ;)

!!7!! devices ago? Can I have your life/wallet? What are they!? :eek:

16. Cry0g3n1c

Indeed, although I loooooove Golden Monkey... its one of my goto's... There are better ipas than HD

17. Cry0g3n1c

Oh, can I get some recomendations on photo apps in particular too? I'm a photographer, so I've been hoping I can get some good holga-esque effects out of this as a p&s replacement... any opinions on vignette?

18. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Same here, does anyone know any good apps that allow us to take multiple pics and group them together as one?

19. necosino

How To Tether Natively (Via USB, not Wifi)

Wifi tether won't be available until we are rooted, as it requires root permission to change the wifi chip state.

Cry0g3n1c likes this.
  20. necosino

As you can see from my list, I do use vignette. For point-and-click fast shots, I just use the stock camera app with settings as follows: Brightness -1 (depends on the situation), Sharpness -1, Saturation +1, AF OFF, Metering: Spot..

Or if I want to take a HQ photo and edit it later, I'll use the stock app and tweak the settings prior to taking the photo.

If I want to take something right away and show it off, or I know the filter I want to use and it has it, I'll use Vignette. It hasn't let me down so far :)

21. androy

androy Well-Known Member

I agree, there are better, but HD is one of my goto classics.

22. Cry0g3n1c

Have you tried any others? I must admit retrocamera is fun albeit limited!

23. Cry0g3n1c

anyone else wanna throw up there app brain list on my thread please?

24. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

i don't use app brain....but i will tell you now, delete all 3 task killers and stop $&@^#$*ing downloading them!!

25. Cry0g3n1c

Hahah, done... Now what are you favorite apps? ;)